should i buy the iPad 1 or the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sam235, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

like the title says, which one do u think i should buy, i wont be really using the cameras on the iPad 2, what other things does it offer? is the iPad 1 really laggy as most people say? will the iPad 1 handle IOS 5 smoothly? are there certain applications that only run on the iPad 2(other than stuff camera related), is the ipad 2 a huge upgrade from the ipad 1? what do u think? i will mostly be using it for iWork, garage band, surfing the net, watching movies and music

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I own a iPad 1, and see absolutely no reason to upgrade to an iPad 2 - I use mine for GarageBand, Pages, Keynote, Movies, Safari and iBooks (ie iWork, GarageBand, Books, Films and Browsing the Web). I haven't noticed any lag at all under iOS 4.3, and I dont see it having any problems with iOS 5. It might be slower than an iPad 2, but I personally would get an iPad 1 (Cheaper and does pretty much everything the iPad 2 can except for the Camera stuff)

3. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

What's the difference in prices you have for the iPad 1 and the iPad 2?

More likely than not, it's probably just worth biting the bullet and getting the latest version. Cameras and faster processor will certainly give you more bang-for-your-buck in longevity.

4. georgee2face macrumors member

i've had both. the 2 is def. faster. unless $$ is the determining factor, I'd get the 2

5. Futhark, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

In my opinion I've never seen the point in buying older models when new ones are available of anything not just iPads.

Usually within a few days you wish you'd held off and saved a little longer to get the better product.

6. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Go with an iPad 2 if money isn't a problem. The hardware is so much better than the 1st gen, it'll last longer.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It ultimately depends on what you're going to do with the product. You can get an iPad 1 for what, 300 now? That's 200 less than a new 2; if you are only going to use the thing to type documents, look at pictures, surf the net, and watch video, the 1 will suffice.

Everyone here seems to be referencing the idea of "future proofing" and getting the "best" machine you can get; however, if you aren't going to ever max out the capabilities of the first, there's no logical reason to get the 2nd.

Unless you want a white bezel (which isn't good at all, IMO (distraction when looking at things)) or the cameras, OR you're going to be using some of the newer, more intuitive applications, the 1 would be great.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Instead of checking how much you safe, just take an amount of money that you wish to spend and see how much you get for the money. For example, take $499. You get an iPad2 with 16 GB. Right now you can get an iPad 1 with 64GB, or an iPad 1 with 32GB and 3G for exactly the same amount; both refurbished.

9. cperry2 macrumors regular

Assuming both are the same price:

iPad 1 will offer
    - more internal storage

iPad 2 will offer
    - a device you are more likely to hold (don't discount this)
    - a smoother garageband experience
    - video chat (full screen skype!), if that is your thing
    - a longer software upgrade cycle (my observation is ios devices are shut out of the upgrade cycle after three years, but anything can happen)
    - the smart cover (again, if you like the idea)

This being said, if you can find an ipad 1 16Gb at $299 as they are known to have been in apple's refurb section, that could be worthwhile if you are on a tight budget.

Overall, I'd say go with the ipad 2 unless you are on a budget and can find a good deal.

Or hell, even wait for the 3 because the doubled resolution is going to be a big deal.