Should I buy the iPad Pro 10.5 now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1ceb0x, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 1ceb0x macrumors newbie

    1ceb0x

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    #1
    Hello guys,

    Help me make up my mind here. I have an iPad Pro 9.7 (WiFi only) and have been contemplating if I should upgrade to iPad Pro 10.5. I need the cellular version because of school so I was thinking its the perfect time to get the 10.5.

    Should I get it right now or wait until June if they’re going to announce the new iPad Pro? Help me with this dilemma. I was hoping they would announce the new iPad Pro today but I was wrong. The new cheaper iPad 9.7 has a better chip than my Pro :(

    PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE....... I would love to hear your opinion. Why and why not.
     
  2. kp98077 macrumors 6502

    kp98077

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    #2
    I’d get now. Don’t think the new one will have all that many updgrades honestly imo. Sure it likely will have Face ID but having that now on my x really don’t think it’s thet great and I’d never thought I’d say that. Mainly for me when I open it you have to a move the device and it can be a pain at times. Then if your wait til June it will be July before you get your hands on one. Good luck in any event.
     
  3. Glideslope macrumors 603

    Glideslope

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    A quiet place in NY.
    #3
    Now. Best deal is Micro Center if you live close to one. $499 10.5” 64G Wi-Fi. In store pick up only. :apple:
     
  4. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #4
    If you do get now, just don't pay full price.
     
  5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

    spaceballl

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #5
    I think it's fine to get it now, but don't pay full price. I'd buy a gently used one on eBay or a refurb model from Apple or one when they go on sale at Best Buy or something.
     
  6. 1ceb0x thread starter macrumors newbie

    1ceb0x

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    #6
    I’m actually looking at getting a cellular version. I also have the iPhone X and tbh, I don’t like the face ID. Might be nice to an iPad cause that means bigger screen.
     
  7. smorrissey macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    #7
    If money is not an issue you should wait for the ipad pro 2018 being fair, which is assume is gonna be even more expensive than the current ipad pro 10.5.
     
  8. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

    BenTrovato

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    At $499 I would buy it. You can usually find that deal every so often
     
  9. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

    BugeyeSTI

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    Location:
    Arizona
    #9
    I'm going to wait till the new iPads come out. BestBuy, Costco and Target usually have some pretty good discounts when they need to move old inventory. $499 is decent but, I'm thinking $429 is possible later in the year
     
  10. phillytim macrumors 65816

    phillytim

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #10
    Do we think that the new (2018) iPad Pro adopt the same, slimmer, screen orientation that the new iPhone X has?

    Is that enough reason to wait? Might future apps on today's iPads be letterboxed?
     
  11. sunapple macrumors 68000

    sunapple

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #11
    The rule is simple: if you need it now, buy it now. Like others have been saying, try not to pay full price because it's already a few months old.

    I doubt there's much difference between the two. I'd say the only real reason to upgrade to the 10.5" is cellular.
     
  12. ssledoux macrumors 65816

    ssledoux

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Location:
    Down south
    #12
    Is there no cellular option on the new 9.7”? I know I have cellular for my grandson’s 9.7 from last year.
     
  13. crodonline macrumors member

    crodonline

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2018
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #13
    There is a cellular option. It's not out with carriers yet. Well it's on ATT site, but the other ones may be out tomorrow. Of course Apple has the cellular version already.
     
  14. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #14
    +$130 for cellular as usual.
     
  15. tangowhiskey macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2018
    #15
    I just got a 10.5 with cellular, also for school (are you doing aviation?). I bought a refurb one however for 15% off full price.
     
  16. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    I'd say at this stage, get one now, it doesn't look like we'll see an update until this fall, which has been the normal release schedule for the most part.
     
  17. hajime macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #17
    Is your recommendation the same for the IPad Pro 12.9" 2018? I have a space gray model but I don't like the black bezel. If Apple releases the 2018 version in June, I may exchange my current one with the new one depending on what the updates will be like. If Apple does not release the 2018 version in June, I still need to exchange mine to the white bezel 2017 version.
     
  18. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #18
    I think June will be the time that apple rolls out the new Mac Pro, and MBPs so we'll see iPad refreshes in the fall - just my opinion and I've been wrong before but that sort of action seems to make sense to me.
     
  19. hajime macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #19
    Thanks. I think macrumors predicted that iOS 12 would be announced in June but to be released in September. So, both sizes of IPP 2018 may be released six months from now.
     
  20. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #20
    Apple announces their OS updates in WWDC, so I would expect that to remain true for 2018 as well.
     
  21. hajime macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #21
    These days depending on the products, instead of immediate release, they do announcement first and then make us wait for a few months. For example, iMac PRO. Not sure if this will be the same for IPP 10.5" and 12.9" 2018.

    I bought my IPP from Costco. They only sell the black bezel version that I don' like. I have until mid-June to return it. Not 100% sure if they would follow the 90 days satisfaction policy.
     
  22. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #22
    There's usually exenuating circumstances when Apple does this. Most product announcements have a near immediate availability date.
     

Share This Page