Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

chadnikk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
4
1
Hello everyone,

I have been in the market to upgrade my MBP for quite some time. I typically will be using it for on-the-go video editing (Premiere Pro and Final Cut) & graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign primarily). Since January, I have been watching tons of videos on the 16" MBP. I was convinced and had placed it in my cart. Then, COVID hit and the shipping time was over 1-month for its arrival, so I did not place the order. The build that I had in my cart is as follows:

2.3GHz 8-Core Processor
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD Storage

From the video reviews that I watched online, it seemed that this was the perfect build for what I need. However, I am needing the MBP for on-the-go projects, so the size of the rumored 14.1" MBP would fit that need more than the 16". Additionally, a big chunk of money could be saved by going with the 14" if the predictions of pricing are true.

So with all of that being said, my questions to you are:

1) Will the 14.1" MBP come out with build specs that could compare to the build that I have listed above? (i.e. i9 processor, 32GB RAM, etc.)
2) I've seen some complaints on this forum about users being disappointing with the 16" display. Will this new 14.1" (potentially released in May 2020) have the Mini-LED display that resolves these issues users are experiencing?

Any insight that you might have to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and I hope everyone is staying safe!
 

glenthompson

Contributor
Apr 27, 2011
2,548
535
Virginia
The current 13” lacks a separate GPU. Hard to say what the new model will have but that could be a factor for video editing.
 
Comment

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
3,577
1,519
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
"In my cart".

Apple Store?
[automerge]1586490031[/automerge]

Here. Identical thread.
 
Last edited:
Comment

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
428
366
I see you were thinking to go for the 8GB 5500M upgrade, I assume because you know you need a good internal GPU for video editing. Well, it's unlikely we'll get something comparable in the smaller machine, so take that into account.

You would also not get 8 CPU cores, although for your usage the GPU is probably a more important factor.

RAM will probably be fine, I'm positive we'll get a 32GB option. Storage, no problem.

Mini-LED display? No one knows for sure. It was rumored for late 2020, we might get a surprise but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: chadnikk
Comment

vseera

macrumors regular
May 27, 2011
206
246
I was in the market for the new 14” MBP, but also have been considering the 16” like you.
I travel a LOT, maybe 9 months a year so the 13” size has been a no brainer for me. However, I’ve noticed that I actually never use my laptop on the go, preferring to set it up once i reach my destination.
So I have now been considering the 16” size as well, specially for the power it gives me.
But it is also quite a lot bigger and heavier than the 13 and the last time I checked a 15, I just couldn’t get onboard with the huge trackpad and massive size.
It also weighs much more and in less than the weight of a 16”, I can carry both my 13” and an iPad Pro 11.

No one here can tell you what to do. It depends on what factors are important to you and your own use case. I’ve outlined some of the issues I’ve been thinking about.

I am going to wait for the 13” refresh, before I take a call. Specially in this financial climate. They’re also supposed to go up to 6 cores, 32gb ram and a better integrated graphics card which should be enough for my needs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: chadnikk
Comment

PeterJP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2012
669
443
Leuven, Belgium
The 14" will not get you 8 cores, nor a dGPU. The lack of dGPU is not much of an issue in Adobe until you start exports. But the 8 cores could be an issue. That said, I have a couple of people using even dualcore 13"ers and when they understand the limitations, they can live with it.

So assuming you get 32/1TB, make sure you understand it will be a tradeoff. Ideally, test it before making the final decision. E.g. buy the 14" and use it on your projects, then trade it for the 16" if it's not suitable. My reseller never refuses a trade-in if the new machine is more expensive :)

As for the screen: check it out in person. Some people are more sensitive to some display issues than others.
 
Comment

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
578
324
Philly
Also those shipping times are greatly increased. I ordered a 16in MBP on the 4th. It had a estimated delivery date of the 23rd. I ordered the following build:

CPU2.4GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
GRAPHICSRadeon Pro 5500M with 8GB GDDR
MEMORY64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

It shipped on the 6th and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, the 10th. I think those dates are just playing it real safe.
 
Comment

chadnikk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
4
1
The current 13” lacks a separate GPU. Hard to say what the new model will have but that could be a factor for video editing.
I guess I was not aware the it wasn't likely the 14.1" would not come with an option for a dGPU. I think that should answer my question. Power over portability for me!

"In my cart".

Apple Store?
[automerge]1586490031[/automerge]

Here. Identical thread.
Thanks for the similar thread. Yes, in my cart, as in shopping online and adding to cart. Apple Stores were not quicker during the time of shopping.

I see you were thinking to go for the 8GB 5500M upgrade, I assume because you know you need a good internal GPU for video editing. Well, it's unlikely we'll get something comparable in the smaller machine, so take that into account.

You would also not get 8 CPU cores, although for your usage the GPU is probably a more important factor.

RAM will probably be fine, I'm positive we'll get a 32GB option. Storage, no problem.

Mini-LED display? No one knows for sure. It was rumored for late 2020, we might get a surprise but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Very informative response! I appreciate that! Yes, I was thinking the 8GB 5500M upgrade would be necessary and beneficial for video editing. It sounds like the 14" will be inferior in power no matter what, so I think that makes my mind up. I appreciate your response!

I was in the market for the new 14” MBP, but also have been considering the 16” like you.
I travel a LOT, maybe 9 months a year so the 13” size has been a no brainer for me. However, I’ve noticed that I actually never use my laptop on the go, preferring to set it up once i reach my destination.
So I have now been considering the 16” size as well, specially for the power it gives me.
But it is also quite a lot bigger and heavier than the 13 and the last time I checked a 15, I just couldn’t get onboard with the huge trackpad and massive size.
It also weighs much more and in less than the weight of a 16”, I can carry both my 13” and an iPad Pro 11.

No one here can tell you what to do. It depends on what factors are important to you and your own use case. I’ve outlined some of the issues I’ve been thinking about.

I am going to wait for the 13” refresh, before I take a call. Specially in this financial climate. They’re also supposed to go up to 6 cores, 32gb ram and a better integrated graphics card which should be enough for my needs.
Like you, I will most likely wait to set up shop on a desk or table, so the 16" shouldn't actually be THAT big of a problem. I was just thinking carrying through airports and such. 13-14" seems more comfortable for that, but either way it would most likely be in its sleeve inside a backpack during those travels anyway. I think everyone's responses have helped me make up my mind and choose the more powerful 16". Thank you for your response!

The 14" will not get you 8 cores, nor a dGPU. The lack of dGPU is not much of an issue in Adobe until you start exports. But the 8 cores could be an issue. That said, I have a couple of people using even dualcore 13"ers and when they understand the limitations, they can live with it.

So assuming you get 32/1TB, make sure you understand it will be a tradeoff. Ideally, test it before making the final decision. E.g. buy the 14" and use it on your projects, then trade it for the 16" if it's not suitable. My reseller never refuses a trade-in if the new machine is more expensive :)

As for the screen: check it out in person. Some people are more sensitive to some display issues than others.
That's actually a great idea on testing the 14" inch and if it doesn't suit my needs, trade it for the 16". If I wait until the 14" is out, I might try that route. Sounds like the 14" will be inferior in power no matter what though, so it might be in my best interest to just move forward with the 16".
 
  • Like
Reactions: vseera
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.