should i buy the new touch??!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by friekunater, Sep 11, 2009.

1. friekunater macrumors 6502

i had the first-gen iPod touch for a year and a half until it crapped out on me about 6 months ago. i was holding out on buying a new one specifically because i wanted one with a camera like the rumors said would happen.

however, now that they are out with the new camera-less iPods... i'm kind of on the fence. on one hand, I NEED AN IPOD! but on the other hand... well, there are articles like this: http://gizmodo.com/5356769/ipod-touch-camera-could-happen-without-warning. i'm afraid that if i buy a new one, they'll suddenly introduce models with cameras, which is something i really really want.

any advice please??

2. bradShares macrumors newbie

do you have the iPhone already? how much memory do you need? that definitely comes into play with a purchase like this, at least it did for me a while back.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's going to be six months before they introduce a new one, if they do. They are not going to suddenly release one in two months, even if they do not have a production delay.

4. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

iPod touch actually, not iPhone.

and i had a 16gb, which was the perfect amount for me. i always had about 14gb full and i didn't have anything else to put on it. i was kind of mad when they didn't release another 16gb version because 8gb isn't enough and if i get the 32gb i'd be paying more for memory i'm not using... but all in all i figured i'll be getting the 32gb.

5. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

well even in 6 months i'll want to trade it for one with a camera. i would be heartbroken if they released a camera-touch before september next year... but i guess it wouldn't be worth going without one for another half a year.

6. mpb2000 macrumors regular

Seeing as you don't have a working ipod, and 16 GB is right for you, I would grab a 16 GB 2nd gen refurb for $199 (or maybe a little cheaper on ebay), unless you need the speed increase. Then when apple decides to upgrade the touch for real, you can sell that one. You won't be out too much money, you'll have an ipod, and you'll still be able to upgrade.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, you are in enough position. I'd try to buy one of the older refurb ones like it has been suggested. There is a large possibility that Apple just waits a year to introduce the camera, especially if iPod touch sales remain strong.

8. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice, you have a good point.
    however, if i'm going to get a new iPod i'd rather get the newest one and go for the speed increases. i LOVE playing games on my touch and my first-gen lagged more than i would have liked it to.

9. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I think there are a lot of people in a similar position... me included. Everyone was expecting the camera. Now that the iPods are out, no camera, not even labeled as "3G", and rumors about a new model coming out soon, I don't know what to do. Just a guessing game really...

If nothing else, the leaks about the camera have to be hurting Touch sales because it got peoples hopes up and now everyone is disappointed with the lack of new features.

10. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

that's probably true, but it'll help sales of the nano and the iPhone

11. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

True... but it is probably also helping the Zune. I had zero intention of buying a Zune before Wednesday, but now I am at least considering it.

12. macsarethebest macrumors regular

get the 16gb refurb...

the 2nd gen 16gb refurb is $199 at the online store now, seeing as there is no difference between the 2nd and 3rd.

13. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

really? ouch i feel bad for you... i wouldn't even consider it. i've owned a zune and absolutely hated it

14. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

If you need 64GB go ahead

But if you need 32GB or if you need 16GB get the 2G there is no noticeable difference.

15. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

speed increase, which i already addressed in a previous post

16. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

anyway, thanks everyone! this is exactly what i needed to hear.

17. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

18. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I've never used one, but the new ones look nice. 32gb limit and no app store will probably keep me away though.

19. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Quick question.
    Since when was there a new Touch coming out in March 2010?
    (I might be a little late here, but I haven't heard anything about that.)

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

He pulled it out of thin air. It doesn't exist, even on any rumor sites.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Get it!!!!I'm getting mine in when I get my next pay check.

22. Wishsong macrumors regular

Do you seriously want to hold out JUST for a sucky 3mp camera?

23. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

hell yeah. i have a RAZR so i'm sure anything could be better than that. and i have a digital camera but it's too bulky and frivolous to take everywhere i go

24. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

so i think i'll be getting it ASAP. i had a problem with my payment when i tried to buy it the night they released them so i'm waiting on my $320 check from Apple before i get it

25. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502