Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
SSD Boot time on default SATA2, (MP Tray 1 spot): 45,89 seconds
SSD Boot time on OWC Accelsior S, (PCI slot 3): 1,02.8 seconds

However, the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test looks like this:

SSD MP SATA2 Tray 1 slot // write speed: 258 MB/sec
SSD MP SATA2 Tray 1 slot // read speed: 268 MB/sec

OWC Accelsior S, PCI slot 3 // write speed: 504,3 MB/sec
OWC Accesior S, PCI slot 3 // read speed: 518,2 MB/sec

Thanks for those numbers, definitely a decent boost to be had. It's a shame about the boot times, but as I understand it, truly fast boots go out the window anyway with large amounts of ECC ram in a machine.

Anyway, with the Sonnet card, when you are in Windows, just use the bootcamp apps to choose the start up disk, then you can go back to OSX.

That's what I do at the moment anyway, as no boot screens on my GTX 970!

On reflection, I'll probably stick the SSD in the OOD bay as usual and when I want an upgrade I'll get one of those PCIe M.2 adaptors and a M.2 drive, looks like a way faster solution with little to no price premium over 2.5" SSDs.

On an unrelated note - I'm thinking of leaving the GT120 stock GPU in the other x16 slot, for those times when I need a boot screen (driver updates, troubleshooting) I could just plug my DVI cable into that rather than having to open the case.

Any reason not to do this in OS X or Windows (gaming)?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Agree that the OWC Accelsior S is a good choice. However, it won't boot Windows, that's the downside when compare to the Apricon card.

Anyway, with the Sonnet card, when you are in Windows, just use the bootcamp apps to choose the start up disk, then you can go back to OSX.

Or use rEFInd, which won't affected by the Sonnet card.

Or reset PRAM, if you are not running Yosemite with TRIM enabler.

Or use bootcharm which will make you automatically go back to OSX on the next boot.

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I sold the Tempo already.

Anyways, since you have the AMD Radeon HD7950 Mac Edition in your signature (as I do), I would love to know if you have the same small hiccups in Safai as I do. Somehow I can't get safari to scroll smoothly. I have read somewhere that this is caused by this card. Is there the only solution to change the browser, how did you solve that, do you have that pickup problem as I do ??

Thanks in advance,

:apple:

Inutopia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
South of Heaven
Hey all,

So the CPUs finally arrived yesterday and I installed them today. Install was pretty straightforward, although I did have to razor off some solder as I was advised so kindly by @box185 Thanks to everyone who has offered advice in this process, you all made it clear and easy to perform this upgrade :)

Machine didn't boot first time, but another half turn on the screws and it came straight up second time, all ram recognised too. I'm currently running Prime95 Torture Test. It's been going for 25mins now and the highest recorded temp is 71 C at CPU A Diode. This seems ok to me, what do you think?

C

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I would love to know if you have the same small hiccups in Safai as I do. Somehow I can't get safari to scroll smoothly.
:apple:

I don't have problem of scrolling. But Safari really not working well with this card in Yosemite.

I was a Safari guy before Yosemite. And since I upgrade to Yosemite, I use Chrome as the work around.

I don't think Apple will fix the issue in the next Yosemite release (at least not fixed yet in the current beta). However, the good news is that 10.11 beta works really well with this 7950. So, in few months, I will upgrade my OS and should able to switch back to Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.