Should I buy this cracked iphone 6 gold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brobson, Jan 5, 2017.

1. brobson, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

It is cracked and I'm paying $150, should I do this?
    I am thinking of replacing the screen myself but am quite green at that stuff.

Need to know today by 3!!

lost my 5 and am in the seventh circle of hell with a Nokia windows phone!

Attached Files:

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Its not hard to replace the screen, the only issue is if the frame around it is bent then you'll have some issues.

What are the specs on the phone? unlocked? icloud unlocked?

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Should you? That's a question you should know the answer too. A better question would be: Is it worth that much? Then the answer would depend on several other factors that you don't even mention. Rush buys are bad buys. Don't and give yourself ample time to pick your next phone.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Might want to find some older phone to practice screen replacements on. It's not a hard process but it can go bad easily.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If it's just the screen, and getting the LCD panel replaced isn't too expensive and you like gold color, then maybe you want to, I don't know. I'm not you! :) If the casing is damaged in any way, bent, buckled or cracked: no way. Forget it.

Also, are you sure this is not a stolen phone? If you're getting a really good bargain just because the screen is cracked, I'm thinking it's probably not a kosher deal. Can the seller show you a proper warranty/receipt of buying the phone? Has the seller unlocked it for you so you know it's not locked down by find my iphone?

Like I said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. Especially if you only get a short amount of time to decide. What's the big hurry here, will the phone turn into an ogre after sundown or something...? :D

Be cautious so you don't get ripped off, and/or help a criminal fencing you some stolen loot.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

For the cost of a new screen + this you could buy one without a cracked screen for a few bucks more. Be wise with your money.

9. Robbbbbbbbb macrumors newbie

Robbbbbbbbb

That's a high asking price. I buy cracked screen 6's for under $60 and have them ready to resell for less than $50.

I'd pay $150-$200 for a good working condition 6 or 6 Plus, but not for that condition. As always, run any perspective phone purchases through the following three rings:

- IMEI Info (information about the phone)
    - iCloud Activation lock checker (make sure the device is not iCloud locked)
    - Financial blacklist checker (if the phone is carrier-locked, make sure there are no unpaid bills)

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd vote no. For a little bit more you could get a pretty good condition device of the same caliber.

11. Classic_Mac macrumors newbie

Classic_Mac

I would skip on this one! You can get a used iPhone 6 with a perfect screen for around $200. How do you know if the device works? Drops can damage more than meets the eye.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Those are my thoughts. You would be better off purchasing a used iPhone 6 for approximately the same amount of money. Drops are too risky for what could be the unknown outcome.

13. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Its a neighborhood facebook garage sale thing so I feel like I could have some recompense if it isn't unlocked, etc. She was originally asking 275 and it was 2 months ago so I made an offer. I am a schoolteacher and cannot spend a lot of $ on phones.
    But I would go 200 for a used one, where would I find one?

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would purchase off of Swappa.com. They are reliable and you take far less of a risk than buying an iPhone that could be potentially stolen/locked to a carrier. Swappa is most likely your safest bet. I would not purchase from eBay, too much fraud on that website for iPhones.

15. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

16. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Wow! My Nokia died and I needed a phone today, so I went ahead and got the phone, turns out it is a 6 plus 128g phone! Works perfectly for $150!!!!!!!
    I suppose there are small miracles out there!