Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I have the option of buying 2GB of RAM for the Mac Pro. I will probably be buying some different heatsinks from maxsinks as these have the little ones.

Anyhow, they are Micron sticks. The price would be $260. They are new and have a lifetime warranty

What do you think?

My alternative is to wait for prices to fall. I know this is a good deal, but I think I could deal with the stock 1GB for awhile.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
suneohair said:
There is no link. It is from a friend who bought them thinking they would work for his computer.

Here are the model details.
http://www.micron.com/products/partdetail?part=MT18HTF12872FDY-667

They look to be the correct type of RAM suneohair, but that does not guarantee that they will work. Macs tend to be a bit finicky about what kind of RAM you use, so I find it best to go with RAM that is Apple certified (like RAM from http://www.datamem.com).

That said, $260 for 2GB of DDR2 FB is a very good deal. :)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
trueheart78 said:
If you need it now and haven't got it yet, check out the thread 1 gig MacBook/Pro RAM $99 at BestBuy.com.

$100 for 1gb Corsair RAM, or $200 for 2 sticks. From Newegg, these look to work nearly 100% of the time with the macbooks.

THat doesnt help me. I have a Mac Pro. Not the same kind of memory.

I know the RAM will work with the Mac Pro, the whole finnicky thing I don't ascribe to. I have never had a problem on a Mac with any memory I have purchased. I think I will take the gamble on this. If it doesnt work it ill be going back to the seller.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I dont know now... I am going to want to put larger heatsinks on. Ones that are made for FBDIMMs.

Which will be around $100 for the two sticks. Effectively bringing my cost to about what it would cost elsewhere.

I could just not put the heatsinks on...but...

any thoughts on that?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
suneohair said:
I dont know now... I am going to want to put larger heatsinks on. Ones that are made for FBDIMMs.

Which will be around $100 for the two sticks. Effectively bringing my cost to about what it would cost elsewhere.

I could just not put the heatsinks on...but...

any thoughts on that?

If you go with this RAM, definitely use the heatsinks- you don't want fried RAM suneohair.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
dmw007 said:
If you go with this RAM, definitely use the heatsinks- you don't want fried RAM suneohair.

Well they have heatsinks on them. They are just the dinky ones. I though it would be best to get ones similar to the Apple stock ones.

I know there are people here who havent had any problems with the Crucial and Kingston ones with the smaller heatsinks. So I figured I could get away with it as well.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
suneohair said:
Well they have heatsinks on them. They are just the dinky ones. I though it would be best to get ones similar to the Apple stock ones.

I think that would be the best move as well. I for one would not want to gamble on having my RAM overheat (not at that price anyway). :eek: :)

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you can assure yourself that they will work without any problems, i say go for it. but as previously stated, Macs are very particular about what RAM they accept. the price is definitely right, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.