Should I choose the iPod Classic or the Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gan6660, Jun 3, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I am going to purchase a 2.4 macbook later this month and am going to get a free ipod. I already have a 1st gen touch and trying to decide whether to get the classic or the touch. I have alot of movies and would love to take most of them with me. I also plan on buying the 3rd gen touch regardless of what I pick now. I used to have a 30gb video and loved being able to put anything I wanted on it. I dont have too much music but the touch I have now is 8gb and that is too small. What would you do?

2. macbook yes macrumors 6502

If you already have the touch go for the classic. I don't know why you need 3 ipods (G1 touch, G3 touch, and whatever you get now), but you definitely don't need 3 touches. The touch has a bigger screen for videos, but if you have a touch already, get the classic.

3. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I mean I really really love the touch but 8gb is just not enough with all the movies i have. I know you will ask well why dont you delete some? But will summer coming up I will have alot of car trips and would like a wide variety with me. Also the classic is the only iPod i dont have.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Then the Classic is the obvious choice here.

And why do you need to iPod Touches? Or 3 iPods?

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Buy the 32GB iPod Touch. The rebate covers part of the cost, and you make up the difference. You can even sell your old Touch to make up the difference.

Otherwise, buy the Classic. It's handy as a portable hard drive, too.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The Classic for sure. The screen is big enough to enjoy a movie, and it can carry a lot of them. And especially since you already have a touch, and plan on buying another when the new gen comes it, it makes no sense to get one now.

7. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I THOUGHT ABOUT the 32gb touch but I dont have anothe $170 right now and want to use the rebate money i would get to buy a new tv. Also I want to get the 32gb 3rd gen one and the touch I have now was a gift from my mom for my birthday so i cant and wont sell it.

8. seven7seven macrumors regular

Why not sell the free ipod for $200 and then wait for a G3 32gb or 64gb Touch?

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If you're going to buy the 3rd gen touch in 3 months, why even bother? Have an iPod to satisfy your storage needs, and use your iPod touch 1G for the web and all the fun stuff. Then in September, sell your current iPod touch and get the 3G touch.

It doesn't really make sense to me why you'd need a first, second and third gen iPod touch.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Did you even read the thread? He's "bothering" because it's free with his new mac, and he can't sell the 1G touch because it was a gift.

My vote is with seven7seven - sell whatever you get now and put it towards a 3G touch later. Your 1G touch may not be ideal, but it will certainly get you through the summer.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I already have an iPhone, so I'm getting the classic.

12. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

It honestly depends on how much content you have for your iPod. The iPod touch can do so much more than the iPod classic, but it's maximum storage is a crippling 32GB, which keeps it from being "Top iPod". (And by the way, that 32GB will run you $399, the cheaper models have even less storage -- 8 or 16GB). The iPod classic, which costs $249, 20 dollars more than the cheapest iPod touch, has 120GB, more than 3 high end iPod touches. If you have less than 16GB of content, I would get the touch. Otherwise, you have to sacrifice and put less content on your iPod, or get the classic.

For conversion purposes 4GB = 1000 songs.

iTunes also let's you view the size of your library from within the software.

13. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well right now my music library isnt even over 1gb but my video library is 20gb and growing each day. I just like having the option to watch anyone of my movies when i want and where i want. That is why I am considering the classic. I am also thinking classic because I dont think it has many years left. If a 64gb touch comes this year next year a 128gb one could come and bye bye classic.

14. TheAshMan macrumors regular

Go with the classic

I have both a "Classic" iPod and an iPhone and recommend getting the traditional, classic iPod. Watching a movie on a small device that has to be held does not work well for me or most people I talk to. It either hurts your neck or your arm gets tired, so while the screen on the Touch is very nice, it is not good for anything more than a few minutes. If watching movies is what you want to do, take your laptop. When I want to listen to something I prefer my 30 Gb video iPod, the thumbwheel is better and faster for navigating and can be done with one hand.

15. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

You should get the classic, like everybody has said you already have a touch, your about to get another touch in a couple months. No need for 3 touches, no real need for 3 ipods.

16. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ok so it looks like Monday or Tuesday next week will be the day that I order my new 13inch MBP and an iPod Classic. Now which color classic to get?

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The black ones seem more timeless, you def. made the right choice IMO.

18. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Classic has my vote as well; you get a terrific storage capacity, great battery and for now, it would seem that you don't really need another Touch.

Re colour, you can't beat black; an eternally classic colour for the classic.

Cheers and good luck

20. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

My first iPod was black. But it was more of a shiny black. The black iPod Classic looks more matte and less shiny. That's why I went for the silver. It looks more like my MacBook Pro.

21. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I was leaning towards the black myself so I thin that is what ill get.

22. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well I ended up getting a 16gb iPod Touch. I just couldnt justify picking the classic since I would probably never use it.

23. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

I would sell the Touch you have now and the one you are about to get and get a 32 or 64 GB 3G iPod Touch when it comes out in a few weeks.