Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
I guess title say it all.
Actually I have made the switch last September.
I purchased a powerbook 12" with the cram and jam deal.

I have been liking my mac since the beginning and I've been using it simultenously with a pc.

Now with university and the work term I have part of my school program, I feel like I should use one machine. I have less time to play and I would like to focuss more on productive work than plain entertainment.

Actually the only reason I am still using a pc is mostly for games.

I was wondering if anyone did that lately, ditching completly pc(at home) and going full mac.

What I want to do is sell my 12" and get a 15 inch powerbook fully equipped with an external ACD display either 20" or 23".

I plan to use my powerbook for anything basically except hardcore gaming, maybe some light games here and there. I also plan to do more video editing than ever using the iLife suite and teaching myself with several tools the final cut studio suite! I also use application such has fireworks and some design appz.
I simply love video editing and I wouldnt do it anywhere else than a mac.

So I was wondering it anyone here think I would be either a bad idea or a good one to go full mac in my situation.

BTW: The reason I am asking this is simply because I would have to sell my current pc and I don't want to regret my move.........

I just need some insight, help and ideas to make sure I am not just acting up on a spur of the moment gesture!

Dont worry I am not crazy.

Thank you

Nick

P-S: I already have a dual lcd setup. I know the powerbook can dual screen throught its dvi port, but can I use a second external screen throught a pcmcia vga card ? thank you

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
Hey i think that is a perfect solution. mainly because the 15" does have a bit more power than your 12" and it is really nice and big, but still completely portable, i am not sure what you mean about the video card, but it should work with two displays otherwise. I think you should get the 15" and a 23" display, that looks really nice side by side. Also if you plan on using those pro apps, maybe think of upgrading the ram on the powerbook and maybe even the proc speed and the Vram, while your at it.

just my two cents. :rolleyes:

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
same situation

i've been wondering the same thing. i bought my 17" powerbook in March and it's become a complete desktop PC replacement for me. i reformatted my pc recently, since i havent really used it since gettin the PB, and all i use it for anymore is Newsleecher for downloading off newsgroups.

It's a nice desktop, built it myself, P4 3 Ghz HT, 1gb of ram, 200gb hard drive, radeon 9800 pro vid card, dual layer dvd burner, creative's sound blaster audigy 2 platinum sound card, etc, so i thought about keepin it just so i still have a powerful machine if i really need to do something too processor heavy. but it would also be really nice to sell it and get a 23" Cinema display :) esp since i'm a graphic design student. or since i already have a nice view sonic monitor, switching it for a powermac would be sweet too

i dunno, just dont know.... lol

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
ditch the PCs... it's not like your really ganna have time to play games.

Get the monitor.
Get the 15" PowerBook.
ditch the PCs.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
ozone said:
Give up the games... go outside, enjoy the sunshine...
Exactly. Give up the games and rediscover your life. (Or buy an XBox 360 next year.)

Jazzbolicious

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2004
Alfred, NY
Here's a crazy idea you might hate. How about you keep the 12" and buy a imac G5 20" for the heavy lifting. The G4 is really long in the tooth, and likely the first intel macs will be portables. The G5 will perform much, much better for video work and ilife everything, not to mention that "light gaming" you mentioned. Less time waiting, more time enjoying life, ah multitasking...

Think about it, 12" for ultra-portability, notes, web, email, then leave the real work to a G5. This will also save you a crapload of money. :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Jazzbolicious said:
Here's a crazy idea you might hate. How about you keep the 12" and buy a imac G5 20" for the heavy lifting. The G4 is really long in the tooth, and likely the first intel macs will be portables. The G5 will perform much, much better for video work and ilife everything, not to mention that "light gaming" you mentioned. Less time waiting, more time enjoying life, ah multitasking...

Think about it, 12" for ultra-portability, notes, web, email, then leave the real work to a G5. This will also save you a crapload of money. :)

Actually, likely the first Intel macs will be the PowerMac, which was promised at over 3 GHz a while ago, and never was, and Apple is desperatly trying to make it a better deal to buy when in reality anything is better for the buck.

The iMac/PowerBook solution, while cool, would hurt him more than help. Selling a 12" for an ACD and a 15" costs less than an iMac, and allows for a dual screen one computer setup rather than a single screen per computer setup. Also, two computers is harder to maintain than one, and he said one would be better.

BUT, I have an idea, and hear me out. Get the 15" Powerbook. ONLY. Save the money for the display and get more, then buy a 30" ACD HD as the 15" can power that beast. Its an amazing monitor, and its like buying two 23"s moneywise...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
If all you're using the PC for is games... then definitely sell it.

I have an old PC that I'd sell too, but since they don't have any resale value I don't think anybody would buy it. :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes and No

I'll never say ditch the PC. But here is my story as brief as can be. I bought a 15" powerbook at the end of February of this year. I thought that I already had a desktop PC that I gamed on, burned DVDs, worked with photoshop, web design for some clients that I've had for well over 5 years and won't go to anyone else, and then of course autocad. When I bought the powerbook (PB) I never thought I would have my PC far from me. Then it came and I was off work for a week. I never left the PB. I actually ended up with a neck ache because I was sitting too high and looking down at the screen for hours at a time (thank you iCURVE!). During my week I formatted my hard drive on my win machine. Strange things happened and the format for the first time ever went very bad. I had to format three more times and reinstall XP each time. Each time XP would crash. I ended up nearly going to 2k when XP FINALLY installed.

All this took me well over a week. I was fusterated but distracted as well with my new shinny PB. Finally the dang windows machine was all better. I loaded on my dvd burning software and the software I use for stitching photos (thanks to crappy PSCS). I think it was sometime around March 15th.

My PC hasn't been on since.

The point is, I do game. Now I game on PS2 or something like that. I have WOW for Mac and I thought about getting DOOM3 since I just started that on PC right before I switched, but so far time hasn't been my best friend and what little time I have I spend outside...at least during the day (so I try).

Should you ditch the PC? Nah, I am going to get a small shuttle PC one day. I do need to have a second computer running a couple progs I miss, but I can certainly do without them if I needed to. So far this mac has been the greatest. Although my warning to you is that owning something that has such a wonderful design is contagious. You'll start to desire an upgrade to other things so that your workspace is complimented by your PB. :) It's a gift and a curse all in one.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I think you may just want to sell your PC setup and get either the Apple 20"
ACD, the Apple 23" HD or the Dell 24" HD and hold there for a bit.

I would cram the RAM in your 12" PowerBook and hold out till you're certain of what's happening with the Intel based PowerBooks.

Meanwhile grab a good external hard drive because you can also use that with your next machine running heavy applications.

In your case, the upgrade to a 15" would be nice, but I'd think this over.

thesamir

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2005
keep ur 12" PB man... get a 20" ACD instead... i love the portability of the 12"... and believe me ..picking it and carrying to your nearby coffee place hasnt ever gotten better!!... bump up the ram by 1gb if u have the extra slot free... or else replace anything that you have in the extra ram slot.. and get a monitor instead... wait till next year to buy any new macs... the intel ones will come with a lot faster FSB... that will give a big performance boost... even improved battery life ... so just wait it out man...

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
ozone said:
Give up the games... go outside, enjoy the sunshine...

hehehe
I play games but not that much, Actually I bike over 6 times a week(cross-country) that is over 10-12 hours + I work out at least 4 times.

I want to ditch pc because in a way having 2 comps one that plays games is just a time comsumption I dont mind cutting off my schedule.

seeing all those replies.............I guess ill be pcless soon.....

Now all I have to do is selll my hardware......

thanks

I guess I'll sleep on this...

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
FFTT said:
I would cram the RAM in your 12" PowerBook and hold out till you're certain of what's happening with the Intel based PowerBooks.

Meanwhile grab a good external hard drive because you can also use that with your next machine running heavy applications.
I already have maxed out the ram in my pb(I should of mentionned that)

Has for external hard drive I would have three for the MAc, so that is covered too!!

thesamir said:
i love the portability of the 12"... and believe me ..picking it and carrying to your nearby coffee place hasnt ever gotten better!!... bump up the ram by 1gb if u have the extra slot free... or else replace anything that you have in the extra ram slot.. and get a monitor instead... wait till next year to buy any new macs... the intel ones will come with a lot faster FSB... that will give a big performance boost... even improved battery life ... so just wait it out man...

I am fully aware that mactels are in the works. I browse the internet and mac websites at least 5 times a day, this one(macrumors) being the one I always visit first.....I wonder why.

I rarely work into coffee shops...but I dont mind the 15" for portability. I am a big guy I guess I can carry it ;)

Another reason I am interested in buying an ACD and a Pbook at the same time is because I want to get applecare for them. My plan is the following:
Get a 15" loaded BTO (except no 100gig hdd and no extra ram since I'll add the 1gig stick I already have) either a 20 inch or 23 inch ACD, get applecare later this year. (I want applecare to cover both Pbook and ACD so I have to buy them at the same time right ?)

Basically I want a setup I know Ill love for watching tons of movies tv shows and eventually if I get cable , but i doubt it will happen, use it for tv.

When Mactels come to the market I'll consider powermacs, since I want the powerbook to be a base for learning power apps(ie. final cut studio) I'll be ready to get a mac desktop. Also with macs I highly doubt the 15 inch 1.67 will be outdated before second generation mactels powermac hit the market!

Now I just have to sell my pc.........
I know the value of pc components but I was wondering how much you guys think the following could sell for:

PC
Amd 64bit 3000
Asus A8n-E (pci express mobo)
2gig ddr400 (512x4) (OCZ RAM all of it, with copper heatsinks)
MSI X800XL Dual DVI - Pci-express
Western Digital 80gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer
Western Digital 120gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer
Lg DVD-+R 8X burner
Antec Black case
Audigy 2
ATi Tv tuner
Logitech Z560 4.1 300watts (really cool system!!!!too powerfull to use in appartments............)

Accessories:
mouse
keyboard
brand new joystick(barely used) saitek cyborg

Games: (all legit)
battlefield 2
Splinter cell: chaos theory
Unreal tournament 2004
I also have a steam account with half life 2 and acces to all DOD and hl1 source release(wont sell much)
Some more

Monitors
I also have 2x 17" lcds
Sansumgs SyncMaster 712n

As I said I have a pretty good idea how much I plan to sell that. I was wondering how the pc users in here(little they might be) think of this package and how much it would sell for!
Unless someone will trade this for a brand spanking new ACD 23 " !!!

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
FFTT said:
I think you may just want to sell your PC setup and get either the Apple 20"
ACD, the Apple 23" HD or the Dell 24" HD and hold there for a bit.

I was wondering what did you think of your 24" dell?
Not regretting the plastic looking casing ?

I was considering getting a 20"acd and get this this fall: http://www.villagetronic.com/e_pr_vtbook.html buying a second 20" acd at the same time!

I just love dual-screen!

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
i think we need at least a pc as a lifeline in order to be able to communicate with the outside world

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Switzermac said:
i think we need at least a pc as a lifeline in order to be able to communicate with the outside world

I have those at school and all the clueless people around me still on pc...(just a joke no harm intended)Although my school has some g4 powermacs running old 15" ACD YAY!!!

Worse case scenario and it willl probably happen, ill just buy an old pentium 3 laptop, ie. ibm t22 refurbished(p3 933mhz, 512 ram, dvd-rom, 20gig, 14 inch) its plenty.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I would keep the PC as you don't get much money by selling a used PC anyway. I have a few old PCs just for a few tasks such as M$ Money, while my Dell is a work PC which I used every single day (actually it is on at all times for reading e-mail 24/7). Always come in handy if you have a different platform (such as Windows) just in case. Unless you really need to get cash by selling something, then, you need to do what you got to do). But, if you are not in a financial destitute, then, keep your PC. You never know when you need it.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
thesamir said:
keep ur 12" PB man... get a 20" ACD instead... i love the portability of the 12"... and believe me ..picking it and carrying to your nearby coffee place hasnt ever gotten better!!... bump up the ram by 1gb if u have the extra slot free... or else replace anything that you have in the extra ram slot.. and get a monitor instead... wait till next year to buy any new macs... the intel ones will come with a lot faster FSB... that will give a big performance boost... even improved battery life ... so just wait it out man...

I tend to agree, sounds like you have a pretty sweet powerbook now, I'd stick a big monitor on that and see if it keeps up with your needs. Get the monitor first, see how that goes, and if need be then upgrade the computer

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I think that it's best to wait until x86 PowerBooks come out next year, then you can ditch your pc and upgrade your PowerBook at the same time. Then if you still need Windows for games or other stuff you can use your PowerBook.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
I think with a high end 15inch PB you could run quite a few good games americas army if you like shooters and you cant beat the price, an if you were willing to sacrafice beauty in alot of the newer games I think they would run fine. So deffinitely I would say going all mac will work great for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.