Should I even bother getting the wireless Mightly Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 204467, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

From seeing/reading reviews (and the one time I held a MM for about 10 seconds), I'm starting to doubt whether or not to even get the wireless MM. My original plan was to spend 20 extra bucks when I get my iMac, see how I like it, then probably get the VX Revolution. However, if I'm getting the VX anyway, should I just save myself the $20 and put it towards the VX, or should I get the wireless MM, try it out, and if I don't like it I have some nice batteries to put in the VX? Not really sure what to do at the moment.

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

If you like the wired one go for the wireless one

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its nice, its cool, its good looking but it has a 0.5 value for money!

Im currently using a Razer copperhead and its by-far the best laser mouse I've ever used!:D

4. atluten macrumors 6502

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Get a Logitech wireless, you'll save money and it will be so much better.
    Or a VX?

No Mighty Mouse though.

Just my 2 cents.

6. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I haven't used the wired MM except for about 10 seconds. When I did, however, the scroll nipple felt really weird and kind of shoddy. It may have been the mouse, but it just felt cheap. The VX looks really solid, though, I'm really leaning towards it.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

logitech makes pretty complex mice, with alot of buttons you dont really use. the mighty mouse is simple to use and has no "buttons". also, if ur left handed, apple makes mice that can be used for either hand. personally, even i do graphic design, video editing, ect, i still dont have a need for about a zillion buttons on my mouse. and the vx is wireless, using a usb adapter, while the MM uses internal bluetooth, no usb adapter. IMHO, i think the bluetooth MM pwns the VX in terms of usage... you dont need to remember which button does what.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

The one I have by them is really simple. 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. What logitech are you thinking of? :confused:

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

the mx/vx revolution with the hyperscroll, programmable buttons, battery meter, etc..

heres a picture (link)
    http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/3152.jpg

oh, and the button under the scroll wheel. lots of buttons.. thats complex. since each one has an individual function.

10. Mangaroo macrumors regular

after returning 3/4 wireless mighty mice for scroll down messing up, and having recently switched to the logitech vx, i recommend buying the vx and just selling off the wired mac mouse or keeping it as a backup incase you run out of batteries (so usb).

Having said that, the first vx i bought had a faulty button, and this second one wobbles and rattles when i move it when in hyperscroll mode, but thankfully i dont use hyperscroll and its fine in the normal scroll mode - still might return it, not sure yet.

Also, all VX+MX mice eventually lose hyperscroll feature due to rubber expanding and dragging on the apparatus, resolved by either returning it back to logitech (and i think paying shipping) or snipping the rubber (2mm) yourself, which apparently works for everyone.

The difference is, i would gladly go through the effort for the vx because it is the best wireless mouse ive used in terms of ergonomics, response/lag (my might mouse wireless had terrible interference) and just all round being a great general-use (ie not gaming) mouse :) - if only we could switch between normal scroll mode and hyperscroll mode with a click like the MX as opposed to flipping the mouse over and turning a bit of plastic. However the MX has its own problems with battery not recharging etc.

hope that helps someone...

11. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but I have a pretty good memory and would remember what each one did. Plus, it's nice to have a lot of functions accessible without having to go to the keyboard; I know that last year in school, whenever I was using TurboCad, it was a pain in the a$$ to keep having to switch from drawing something with the mouse to the keyboard for either snap shortcuts (sometimes it's easier to leave them off) or just to input a size from the number pad. Obviously, the VX won't help me with that, I'm just saying I like having the ability to do stuff with my mouse (I don't know the number of times I wish my crappy little wired mouse had at least forward/back buttons for the internet). And about the bluetooth, I really don't care if I have to use a wireless transmitter that takes up USB space, it's not like I'm going to be trying to power a bunch of USB devices at once; plus I don't mind the look of the wireless receiver. Finally, the left hand thing won't be a problem as I'm right-handed (though years have rolled over my hand. Anybody ever seen "Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert and Sullivan?).

12. Mangaroo macrumors regular

not sure if this actually helps but you can program the logitech vx's buttons to be application specific with the included software

i really wanted forward and back buttons for the internet browsing etc, but after getting so used to the buttons on safari - i equipped them to expose all windows and desktop.

13. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know you can program the buttons to different tasks in different programs, but I doubt that it can go that specific as to turn on the vertex snap for just a second (and it definitely can't type numbers). I'm not sure if that would be useful or not, though; I think what was most annoying was that I was controlling the mouse with my right hand (I'm right-handed) but had to either control the keyboard with my left or just switch hands. Plus, I don't own TurboCad, though I would go to the trouble of buying a copy of Windows for Boot Camp just to run it on my future iMac, I love that program, it would rule if I could use it at home, it might help me get into college since I would have a portfolio and experience.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well.. some people might have a lot of usb devices. so stop sounding like the vx is superior in any form/fashion. b/c some people might find it bad or not preferable. and if you use turbocad and thinks it way to hard to keep going back/forth then you suck big time. I took a college course on AutoCad and later TurboCad just for fun when I was around 10. And I was the only student who got an A. I like the feel of the MM, and not so much of the logitech ones. I'm not saying I or anybody else won't remember what button does what, but its a mouse, keep it simple. Don't dazzle us with all the features we wont use all the time. It's like Samsung saying their iphone clone does MMS and since iPhone 3g doesn't, samsung is better. just my 2 cents.

15. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wait, you took a college course when you were 10? I think I'm missing something here in the timeline. And I wasn't acting like the VX was superior; based on the little bit I held the MM I didn't like it that much. That's why I created this thread; to ask if I should spend 20 bucks up front and try to get used to the MM (who knows? maybe I'll really dig it) or just save 20 bucks and get the VX as soon as possible. I like having multiple buttons, the VX looks more comfortable, and it has the hyper scroll wheel, which would be super cool (especially if I was working with something really long; like the Spanish translations I do for school which can easily be 20+ pages). So back off, I wasn't insulting you or the MM. I was asking for advice. There's no cause to be hostile to me for relating my situation and why I think a VX would be good; just like there's no cause to say I suck because I find it difficult to type with my left hand or just to let go of the mouse when I'm already doing something with it and type with my right. I apologize for not being ambidextrous.

16. Mangaroo macrumors regular

If you can assign vertex snap to a hotkey then you can assign the same hotkey to the vx for that application...that's how i go about doing things.

Also, i think you missed a (very helpful if i say so myself!) post:
    Point being that the VX might have some problems, but so does the MM - but if you have no other mouse, it might be worth keeping the WIRED MM for backup purposes. You wouldn't want your backup to suffer interference/cant_find_batteries issues :) .. otherwise there is not much point of keeping two mice (i have tons in the draw just because no one will take them :p )

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have heard some horror stories about both the wired and wireless one. So I would consider another mouse, I have never had one, so there is nothing that I can say about it, but there have been plenty of complaints about it here.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well here are my observations. ppl who buy the MM, wired or wireless, most people are happy with it. But they dont bother with posting here and saying, my MM has no problems and works fine. The people who do post here and bought the unit got defected ones. Even the best manufacturer makes mistakes when mass producing products, some defects slip thru the packaging process. So, in short, there are more people who have no problems with mouse than people that do. and you can return it and ask for another unit if it is defected. al products have defects, but most people just dont post here saying that their product IS NOT a defect.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That is the case with all electronics though, for a product that has a lot smaller audience, there are a lot more complaints about it compared to other products that have larger audiences. And compare the number of MM complaints to the number of Apple Keyboard complaints.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well the "horror stories" amazed me too, I had an iBook G4 about a year back, and it was fine. Some ppl had so many problems with it and I had none. All I dealt with were scratches from my wristwatch while i type and nothing more. No hardware/optical disk failures. Same thing was true for my MacBook, Wireless MM and keyboard both from Apple, a refurb iPod touch, etc. So the people with the defected units post here. So thats why they are so many complaints. But there are more people who bought these products that had no trouble.

21. Mangaroo macrumors regular

sure, but this is the first time ive posted here about the MM and i've had plenty of problems with many (maannyyy) of them..so it works both ways.. but yeah, anyway you don't need such a large number to confirm the problem, when it usually all revolves around the same problem(s) - interference + scrolling

22. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I have a wireless MM and I love it. I've not really had any problems with it other than the trackball inside getting a bit dirty from time to time. I flip it over and rub it on a microfiber cloth briskly and that fixes it every time. Haven't cleaned it like that in about a month or so.

Everyone's experience seems to be different. I like that it matches the rest of my stuff :)

23. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point, thanks for that. If I every get TurboCad, I will look into doing that.

How did I miss that? It was right above my post...
    Since I didn't get to comment on it beforehand, you offer very good, non-biased info in a nice fashion. And yes, I did know about the hyper scroll feature failing; I probably wouldn't use it much unless I'm dealing with something where I don't feel like continuously scrolling.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

your right, the VX is pretty comfortable looking. I've used one briefly at my friend's house. He's a dedicated windows person. Anyway, just to make things clear, both mice have problems, since no product is perfect. All I'm saying is that pointing out all the pros with VX and all the cons with the MM isnt fair.. But it all comes down to your preference. But if you're left handed, its a no-go for the VX.

25. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

By far the VX is a great choice.

the one feature i like about the mightymouse is its ability to use the scroll wheel as 360 axis. (though you can accomplish that scrolling in OSX with i believe holding Shift and using the scroll wheel on any mouse ..)

I like the Kensington Slimblade line....it has the 360 wheel, completely compact and solid mouse, easy accessible buttons...though they make great devices, some come at a premium it seems.

The best mouses ive used (wired and wirelessly) come from
    Razr
    Logitech
    Kensington

the mightymouse, just has really cheap desing, base casing, and the "scroll nipple" is just too flakey, too much gunk gets inside and side buttons are in bad spots that get it either too often mistakenly or they dont work properly half the time.

Lol @ Mouse Nipple :D:D:D:D

==

I like too use a thin twist tie to scrape around the edge and partially inside the scroll ball area to release the gunk, its really good about getting there and dislodging it.