Should I even upgrade go 4.3 or stick with 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Mar 12, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Sounds to me its not worth it considering the problems with battery life. Are there any positives and is it worth upgrading or would it be better sticking with 4.2

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

To be honest. No there really isn't. The hotspot may or may not work and the gestures won't be that good on an iphone.

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Dont upgrade...its killing my battery pretty badly and fast.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No battery problems here at all. The biggest reason to upgrade is for Airplay. If you have Apple TV (only $99) you can now wirelessly stream all of your pics and videos in camera roll straight to your hi def TV. No computer needed. Very, very neat!! :D

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

It's not an "if" you should upgrade. You MUST upgrade to iOS 4.3 since it fixes many, many security bugs that can get you infected with a virus or get all the data on your device stolen just by surfing the web on your iPhone/iPad/iPod.

6. nukem170 macrumors member

Like being dramatic much?

I dont use apple TV so I dont need air play.
    I'm on a 500mb data plan (has wifi at work and at home) so hotspot is disabled for me.

I upgraded my 3gs the day this update was released and I dont notice a difference. My battery life still the same. Nothing cool about it. If I really wanted hotspot I can just jailbreak.

7. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Did you not follow Pwn2Own? The iPhone with iOS 4.2 was the first to fall just by visiting a webpage.

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I'm keeping 4.2 for now b/c I'm jailbroken via using "green poison" and I don't think there is jailbreak on 4.3 for now at least. (don't want to loose my JB programs)

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Safari is much improved.

I have zero difference in battery life.

If I lived my life by what some Macrumors posters complained about I'd never do anything.

10. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

This times 3. (I have 3 iPhone 4's in the house) no battery issues on any of them, and Safari truly is faster.

I also have an apple tv, so the AirPlay update has been awesome !

11. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It is fun sometimes.

o_0

I have 4.3 on both iPhone and iPad and do not regret it. Hotspot on iPhone will be very useful. iPad multi gestures and faster Web pages is good.

-via iPad

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Just bought Apple TV today, BLOWN away by airplay! DEF upgrade just for this! My battery is still worse as posted earlier but oh well it still lasts a full day.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Don't listen to these sarcastic dramatic responses claiming it "kills" your battery.

Honestly, I don't understand how can somebody claim such a moronic statement. I, as well as millions, of iPhone users have been updating software every time and there hasn't been a problem with the battery.

That being said: Upgrade

14. bizfox macrumors member

For me, it really depends on whether you need the features of 4.3 or not. Coming from an iPhone 4 jailbroken on 4.2.1, I wanted the features of the update, and I got them. Battery life, in my experience, improved on 4.3. Now awaiting the hopefully revamped notifications system provided by iOS 5.0 :)

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I suggest sticking with 4.2, with all those battery problems that most users report after updating to 4.3...

16. terencemac, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

I wasnt aware that gestures were for the iphone.
    I was under the impression its for ipad only.

Only diffeence i noticed is the hotspot.
    Home Sharing.
    And the posts above mention internet speed.

Battery life is fine.
    Even leaving hotspot on.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been monitoring my battery extremely closely and I've really not noticed a huge difference in the battery. In fact my phone is consuming electricity about the same as my wife's iPhone 4 that has 4.2. If you were to push me into a corner on this subject, I'd say its using a tiny bit more juice.

I'm not saying others are imagining the issue, but rather its not completely consistent or wide spread. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because my phone is fairly new and the affected ones are older. I'm not sure

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Personally, I do not see any increased battery drain with 4.3.

19. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

The only reason i want to update is because of the improements in safari, but i always wait a while for the kinks to be sorted and that's what im doing this time as well.

20. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I'd pay Apple to let me downgrade back to 4.2.1

21. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

My upgrade was flawless and as far as battery life, it actually seems a little better if anything. So as with any complex computer system--results may vary. :cool:

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Links Please.

23. prestomusic macrumors regular

4.2.1. has airplay, are you saying that airplay is working well in 4.3 without bugs, perhaps?

24. prestomusic macrumors regular