should I exchange my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritons, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

hi
    So I have stuck pixel in left side of the screen, 1cm from edge. I bought it week ago in Latvia. Im thinking of exchanging it for new one but the thing is that I have no backlight bleeding, just one white stuck pixel that I can't see if screen is black. Im scared if I get new one it might have backlight bleeding or even worse a dead pixel.
    Should I exchange it or keep it?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Your decision. But if it were me, I'd exchange, and if the product I received to replace it had issues, I'd exchange that too.

3. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Here in Latvia we have only apple reseller and I dont know if they will be so kind as Apple Store is to change it twice.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Dude, at some point, you are going to have to make a decision for yourself. If you have the ability to turn the thing on before leaving the store to make sure you are completely happy with it, do so.

But continuing to ask the forum "what should I do" and then coming up with reasons why every bit of advice might not work for you is getting you nowhere.

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I checked iPad that I have right now in shop it had no stuck pixels, it showed up later.

I wont exchange it.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Good job. Now, go forth and live a happy life.

7. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I still have 786'431 working pixels.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ha! Way to think positive - I'm proud!

9. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

greytmom - the master of helpful advice? i think so! :eek:

Yeah, I'd keep it, too. It's easy to focus on one little imperfection, but you have an iPad! Have fun with it. I can think of about 25 people I know personally who would kill to have one! (stuck pixel and all)

10. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, iPad is just awesome device and one pixel missing wont make difference as when I play games or watch movies.
    Actually only one of my friend have iPad as they are so expensive here.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have had trouble with junk under my screen. My first iPad had a bunch of dust under the screen, no dead pixels. My second iPad had what looked like dried water spots underneath the screen--they looked like little greyish white circles--as well as a dead pixel up toward the top of the screen. I did not return because I figured one dead pixel would lead to more, and the return policy on those is 3 or more dead pixels. Sure enough, my one dead pixel turned into three dead pixels, two of them were right in the middle. Because I waited until there were three, it was exchanged no problem.

If you truly have one dead pixel and it's along the edge, be happy that's your only issue. My third iPad has no dead pixels and no cosmetic damage but there is a white speck of dust under the glass that I didn't catch at the store because my family was rushing me out the door. But I refuse to go back to the Apple store anymore for stuff like this. There is obviously not a perfect iPad out there.

12. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Exactly! I had a red stuck pixel on my powerbook G4 (yeah, old school) and I just gave it a name (big red) and accepted it for what it was. Surprisingly, after I came to terms with my stuck pixel, I didn't mind it at all! I was just like, this is my awesome powerbook and it came with a little friend, big red!

That laptop is still running actually - 8 years later, stuck pixel and all. It's slower than molasses, but it's still good!

I mean, what is that theory? Flaws make something unique and special? Now your iPad is one of a kind! Lucky you :)

13. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. :)

14. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Hey, no problem. Just don't let one little 'flaw' bother you. You have a really cool device, so enjoy every minute of it. Whether or not it drives you nuts, that's really up to you to decide.

15. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

It dosn't bother me that much.
    But I sure will get iPad 3 when it comes out. :apple:

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

i would exchange it until i got the product that was advertised. that doesn't seem like too much to ask of apple or its stores. i've got a perfect one, so i know they exist :)

whatever you do, i hope you enjoy the ipad!

17. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I would do that as well. I know its a hassle, but you will be happy with it once its done.

18. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I have made my decision, I wont exchange it. I'm happy with what i have now.

19. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

idk why ppl always debate about exchanging their iPad.
    If there is a problem TAKE IT BACK!
    I bought my iPad 2 about 3 weeks ago and im loving it.
    No issues. Therefor I have no need to exchange it.
    But IF I did have any issues with it I'd be taking my butt down to the Apple store. Now for some owners that is nearly impossible. Luckily for me there is a Apple store about 20 miles from me.
    So I must ask why is it something ppl must ponder? :apple:

20. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Exchange it, I went and exchanged mine over the weekend bc of light bleeding. The tech couldn't find any bc of the bright store, but went into the back to check it out, came out with a new one in hand for me. Apple CS is the best, hands down...

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'll tell you exactly why: nothing is perfect.

When you buy an Apple product, you're in a unique situation. If there is a problem with it, you KNOW they will take care of it. However, you don't want to wear out their good will. If you keep taking things back for every nitpicky little thing, eventually it will be hard to convince them to exchange when there is a real problem. There's also the gas costs and the general hassle of getting yet another unit with some other tiny detail you're unhappy with.

I went through this with my iPhone. Took it back for a lot of nitpicky stuff, and then when my home button started to malfunction, it took three trips to the Apple store and a phone call to AppleCare to finally get it exchanged. I have gone through it to a lesser extent with my iPad with having stuff under the screen; the one I have now has been the lesser of the evils as it has one little speck of something under the screen, and I'm trying very hard to just live with it. So far it has not bothered me nearly as much as the dead pixels and outright smudges under the screen that I have had with my first two units, so I think it will be the one I stick with.

Apple's devices are so gorgeous and of such high quality, it's hard to accept that there could be flaws. But sometimes, you just have to accept it and other times it's bad enough to take back to the store.

22. Jermn8r macrumors newbie

For what it is worth, I just got back from an apple store to pick up my replacement. The iPad 2 I was exchanging had started to accumulate dust under the screen. Its display also had a slightly warmer temperature color which I had gotten used to. Additionally, the device did not have any noticeable backlight leakage/bleeding.

I was amazed to find that the replacement iPad has an even better screen. It is slightly cooler in temperature, but the whites are more accurate and balanced than those found on my iPhone 4. Moreover, this new device has no dead pixels or light bleed.

On a side note, this brown box replacement came with 4.3.5 already installed. I'm guessing it must have been fresh off the assembly line.

If something on your iPad bothers you, take it in. I took mine in because the dust was distracting and unsightly. I know it wasn't there when I bought it.

23. LanEvo macrumors 6502

So how does warranty work when you exchange, do they transfer it to the new iPad or is there a new one from that date of the new one?

24. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, I had made my decision not to exchange it as it didn't bother me that much. But I think I'll do it. Tomorrow I'll go to Riga and at least try to exchange it for new one, I hope they will exchane it. Have no idea will they do it as it's not Apple Store but official reseller.