Should I exchange my rMBP for a 16gb model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BANANACANADA, Sep 2, 2012.

  1. BANANACANADA, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

    BANANACANADA macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #1
    Here is my problem: I just bought a rMBP base model a few days ago, everything works great, besides the minor system glitches and heating up when playing a game. I was intending on getting a model with 16gb but the Apple store I went to cannot upgrade the modules in the store. I was told over the phone they could, but I guess they were mistaken and thought I was speaking of the older MBP models. So me — being impatient — I bought the 8GB model (2.3 GHz, 256 SSD) because I am going back to school next tuesday for graphic design, my second year.

    I am sort of at a crossroads: I still have 11 days left in my return/exchange policy and need to decide if I should exchange it for a 2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD model instead. I am happy with what I have now but need to look down the road. I am currently using CS 5.5 Master Suite (will be upgrading) with some minor gaming. My program requires me to edit a lot of photos with Photoshop, illustrations with Illustrator, websites in fireworks, etc. I won't be multi-tasking to an extreme either, or using partitions, boot-camping or whatever with Windows — or anything; I may add an external monitor in the future, but thats it. I have tested out the system by opening multiple adobe programs with some editing without any page-outs.

    I understand VRAM plays a big part for graphics and whatnot, but do I need the 16GB of RAM or should I be safe with the 8GB down the road for my future endeavours? I really don't want to have to go without this computer as it's a dream compared to my white Macbook, but I will do it if it secures me for future needs. It will just be a bit of a hassle having to do an exchange if I don't really need the upgrade, not to mention tacking on 300$ to the bill.

    I am seriously stuck in a rut and need help. What should I do?:
    Stick with the base model now (save money, not have to go without the computer for 10-14 days), or:
    Upgrade to a model with 2.3/2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, 256SSD (spend 200-300 dollars more, but have a somewhat faster more future-secure machine to give me peace of mind, but have to go without rMBP for 10-14 days)?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    I'd return it, while the 8gb generally isn't needed for most apps, you'll be left wondering if you made the right decision. For peace of mind alone, I think it makes sense to return and get the model you wanted.
     
  3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    Location:
    Cimmerian End
    #3
    In my opinion with your current usage 8 GB is plenty, but I would return it and get the 16 GB model because you mentioned that giving you peace of mind, indicating buyer's remorse and that is going to be hard to come to terms with or justify. You have to decide though if 16 GB is what you truly need, nobody here is going to be able to determine whether or not you will personally need 16 GB as opposed to 8 GB; only you can determine or at least predict what you will need in the future.
     
  4. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #4
    Purchase the BTO model online and return your current one. You've lived without the RMBP all your life already, a few more days won't hurt.
     
  5. Bez59 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 18, 2012
    Location:
    Derbyshire, England
    #5
    I think if you can afford it you should replace it with the 16gb model.

    If it was me i would feel better as it will be better for future use and resale value.
     
  6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    #6
    I was in the situation as you when I initially purchased a base rMBP.

    Now that I have returned it and upgraded it, I occasionally see 3 GB ram remaining with only Aperture and Final Cut Pro running.
     
  7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

    Blaine

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Location:
    Abilene TX
    #7
    I'd keep the one you have, and then ditch it in a year when Haswell comes. Then go for the 16GB. That's what I'm doing.
     
  8. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #8
    I think getting the 16GB RAM upgrade is a good choice. The SSD you can upgrade later (or use externals). For the most part the CPUs are the same. The fact that you're asking here, I would think, means you want to get the 16GB RAM; this would mean you'll regret not getting it, so go for it.
     
  9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

    hamiltonDSi

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Romania
    #9
    You can't upgrade the flash memory, it's glued to the motherboard.
    It's not in a SSD case.
     
  10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #10
    It's not glued, it's an mSATA SSD, OWC offer replaced SSDs for the rmbp already.
     
  11. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

    hamiltonDSi

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Romania
    #11
    My bad then :p
     
  12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #12
    No worries. My English is bad right now lol.
     
  13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #13
    Based on those programs that you mentioned you use, I'd no doubt suggest the upgrade to 16GB since it cannot be upgraded in the future.
     
  14. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #14
    Well I am now thinking 16GB is a good choice.

    About going about to actually exchanging, how do I do it? Do I have to return it to the store, then pay for and customize online? I paid the Apple Store with a debit card (my bank card), does this mean I will be waiting 10 extra days for a refund then? I didn't pay in cash as technically I used a "card". :confused:
     
  15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #15
    Yeah they will make a return then you go buy it yourself online. Debit card should take about 3 days. I did a return on debit a few weeks ago.
     
  16. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #16
    Well that sounds a lot better. Also, I will be going with the 256 SSD again, may upgrade in the future. Just wondering if I upgrade to 2.6, will it affect any performance? I just want the 2.6 in case I decide on upgrading the SSD later.
     
  17. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #17
    It depends on your bank, but Apple will start the refund process immediately. Alternatively you can ask for a Apple Gift card, so you can use the funds immediately; obviously if you ever want a refund on the Retina MacBook Pro, they would not be able to process it back to your debit card.
     
  18. BANANACANADA, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

    BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #18

    So they can return the funds ($2200.00) to an Apple Gift Card? If so, how will I be able to pay for the rest of the amount needed for the upgrade? Can I add the remainder I need to the card at the store during time of refund? Or can I pay online with two payment types: Credit card and Apple Gift Card? I doubt this card is loadable.

    Edit: Just called Apple, apparently the Apple Gift Cards that you can load the refund onto can only be used to make retail purchases, not online ones, which I intend to do (buy online) for the sole fact of customization.
     
  19. stevelam macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    #19
    lol @ students thinking they *need* stuff like this. i finished a design program with my 2008 macbook with 4 gb of ram last year.

    first of all, since you don't even have an external monitor, prepare for absolute failure with the RMBP since no adobe apps are even retina optimized. Do you really want to be doing your assignments where your viewport (not only the UI but the actual file you have open) of photoshop is going to be a blurry mess? Do you realize text rendering in Illustrator etc looks horrendous? You have the RMBP and those programs installed so I'm sure you've noticed by now, no? You seriously want to work on graphic design like that?
     
  20. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    #20
    No I don't want to work on graphic design like that. It sounds like you're not a optimistic person; talking like adobe will never upgrade their programs. Adobe is actually in the works of making their programs retina-optimized, so I heard. Comparing the screen now to an earlier version like I did in the store, it would be difficult to go back.

    You may have went through college with a 2008 macbook some time back (I went through my first year with the exact model and it was quite slow), right now I am thinking for the future and I need a machine that will keep up with me. You may have been happy and with what you had, but if you have the money, why not get something 10 times faster?
     
  21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #21

    Adobe to bring Retina MacBook Pro support to CS6
     
  22. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
  23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #23
    You already know the answer. To put it another way, to ask the question is to answer it.

    Yes, swap it. Otherwise you'll regret it, and life is WAY too short (I write as I sit at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan . . . )
     
  24. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #24
    No, adobe stopped updating CS 5.5 shortly after CS6 was released.
     
  25. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta

Share This Page