Should I Fix It A1260? Just Cosmetic Damage & A Few Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacRacer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

I'm debating if I should repair the cosmetic damage on my 5.5 year old MBP. It been a very good computer and served me very well. I did get a new MBA for Christmas but I want to keep my MBP for my video editing and converting processes (homemade videos 1080P from a GoPro). The cosmetic damage is pretty bad honestly. I've dropped it about a year ago. The damage is directed on the right rear corner of MBP. It still runs very good with the known faulty GPU unit but the damage is getting to the point that it stops the lid from opening.

The top panel for the LCD is coming off and some of the plastic is hanging up when I open it. The bottom case and the top LCD assembly needs to be replaced and it would be good as new again. The LCD is also showing it age and it has bad spots in the image like dead spots. The lights also act up every know and then. Besides that, it runs awesome. I'm on the fence if I should just sell it or fix it. Any advice would be helpful.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wouldn't put any money into such a old machine.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Sounds like the repair would cost much more than the machine is worth. Either keep it with the damage (and maybe an external screen?) or sell it.

4. yangchewren macrumors regular

Perhaps your should scour ebay for parts. There could be a unit with good cosmetic condition/screen with a dead mobo. Best if it's up for bidding, can probably snipe and get it at under a hundred w/o shipping.

5. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm going to pull my SSD and most likely sell it at this point. It lasted me for a very good time now and might as well sell it before it quits working.