Should I get 60W or 85W Power Adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sphericalcamel, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sphericalcamel macrumors newbie

From what I can tell (and there is a large chance that I'm wrong) is that the 60W MB power adapter is an older design that breaks a lot, but the 85W MBP adapter is a newer design that might work better. I'm planning on getting a MB and I wasn't sure if I should just get the MBP adapter as my second one or the regular MB one.

Any advice from the community would be wonderful.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You have to buy the adapter that is appropriate for your machine. The 85W is for the MBP. The 60W is for the MB.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The 85W is probably a bit bigger and a bit more expensive. On the other hand, it might come handy if you need to help out someone with an MBP, or if you decide next year that you want to sell the MacBook and replace it with a MacBook Pro. If it isn't much difference in price I would likely go for the 85W.

That is absolutely wrong. The connectors are the same, and you can always use a higher rated power supply than needed. 85W works absolutely fine for an MB. 60W will wear out rather soon when used on an MBP.

4. sphericalcamel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies!

Does either of you (or anyone else) know if the 60W adapter has been redesigned to break less often?

5. munckee macrumors 65816

:rolleyes: Completely wrong.

I have one of each. I wanted a spare when I purchased my Macbook, and since I thought there was a chance I'd buy a Pro in the future, I went ahead and bought an 85W power supply. Works absolutely perfectly.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I hadn't thought about it before, but since they are the same cost, and now the same size, why not get the bigger adapter? Your MacBook will only draw the 60W it needs, and the adapter will probably run cooler than the 60W model.

As an added bonus, if you ever upgrade to a MBP, your extra adapter will still work for your new computer.

Seems like a no brainer to me!

7. sphericalcamel thread starter macrumors newbie