Should I get a external SSD drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HALE101, Apr 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HALE101 macrumors member

Hi there, I'm a complete newbie to all this stuff but I have a 2017 MacBook pro with only 8 gb of ram, my question is that if I but a Samsung t5 250 gb external ssd what will it do? Does it make my computer run faster? Does it help with streaming HDMI or chromcast? What are other benefits? Sorry if this is a dumb question

2. mroy16 macrumors regular

An external SSD will only add more storage. The SSD in your laptop is already faster, so you'll not see any sort of speed or performance benefit. All you get is more space for storage or back-up.

3. jerryk macrumors 601

First, this has nothing to do with the RAM in your computer. That is used to run programs.

Second, it will not increase the performance of streaming or any other tasks unless the computer's internal drive is getting near full. Then you can use an external drive as a place to store data (ex. pictures, movies, etc) from your computer to free up space on the computer's storage drive.

The other use of an external drive is backup the data on your computers so you can recover files that are lost if the machine is stolen, malfunction, or destroyed, or you accidentally delete them.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

8gb of RAM is fine for all except the really heavy-duty stuff.
    What are you using the computer for?
    How large is the internal hard drive?

5. maerz001, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001