Should i get a Mac in March or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by saves the day, Jan 23, 2009.

1. saves the day macrumors newbie

So i'm hoping to get some type of Macintosh computer in March for my birthday. I'm not really sure which one I want, but I am considering the new aluminum Macbook or maybe a refurb or some sort. Ive even considered an iMac, but i was wondering if i should wait longer than March cause i heard Snow Leopard is coming out sometime? Anybody know when they will have that OS come installed on their computers? i'd really be upset if i got a mac in march and then like 2 months later a newer mac with snow leopard came out..

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Snow Leopard should be releasing later on in the year, after March.

Even if you get the next revision of whichever Mac, a newer one will come in a few months time anyway! You'd be better off just getting a Mac asap and being satisfied with it.

3. saves the day thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard Snow Leopard is being released in May? is that true? New revisions of mac come out every few months!? I thought they did it yearly.. when do they usually do their revisions or is it just random?

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Where did you hear that?

5. saves the day thread starter macrumors newbie

It might of been said in one of Chris Pirillo's live video streams, don't quote me on that, but I thought i heard him or read somewhere that it is.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Snow Leopard is most likely to come out at the WWDC (June '09) However noone can say for sure.

7. pboy2k5 macrumors newbie

You might as well wait for the second release of the unibody MacBook because the first one that is still on sale has some minor issues though it is not as bad as when the first ever MacBook was released because it randomly shut itself down caused by a short circuit between the heat sink and enclosure.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you are going to be upset if something new comes out two months after you bought, you _will_ be upset. It is unavoidable. That's the way with computers: Something new will come out. Waiting is pointless. If you wait for one improvement to arrive, then by the time it comes, the next improvement will be around the corner. If you think like that, you will never, ever in your life buy a computer (or you'll have to wait until MacWorld 2050 where Steve Jobs will sit in his wheelchair and announce that any further improvements to Macs are impossible, and Apple will keep selling the 2050 models until the end of the universe).

Don't buy a week before something like MacWorld or WWDC or similar. Apart from that, buy when you have the money and you want it. And don't worry if something better comes out later; it is inevitable. All the improvements don't make your current Mac less good, they improve the Mac that you will buy in three years time.

9. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Don't buy it.
    Wait until snow leopard comes out.
    By the time you will save money on both hardware and software.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, fortunately, he knows nothing. Neither do we, but Apple said June, so June it is.

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Here's what I can remember, but you'd get much more detailed info in the MR Buyers guide and Wikipedia:

Mid 2007 - Base MacBook - 2.0GHZ, 1GB RAM, GMA 950 graphics, 3.3GB unofficially supported (2GB officially)

November 2007 - MacBook updated with X3100 graphics, 4GB Max RAM

Early 2008 - More HDD space standard, faster Penryn chips

Late 2008 - New aluminum models, $100 price drop + Super drive on white model

Early 2009 - White model gets faster NVidia GeForce 9400M graphics, 2GB RAM standard, faster, 1066mhz FSB.