Should I get a Macbook now or wait for the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chanyitian, Jun 3, 2012.

1. chanyitian macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    I want to get a new macbook before the start of the school year. However, I cant decide if I want to get the Macbook Pro or the Macbook Air. ( I do not play games on my laptop. I expect to use it for web browsing or photo editing). Should I get a Macbook Air now or wait for the new version of the Macbook Pro ( Some analysts expect the Macbook Pro to get thinner and lighter with the elimination of the CD/ DVD reader). What do you guys think? Thanks for your advice.

2. Bubba Satori, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Wait.
    The new ones will be out this month.
    Good luck.

3. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

The whole line of Mac should be released as soon as this month or when Mountain Lion is due for release. :D

4. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Do you think that Apple will release them in the WWDC event?

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

That's the expectation. Considering the rumored changes to the lineup it's worth a bit of a wait and see.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, I would wait and see what the new offerings hold
    I don't expect much from the new MBA, but you never know
    With Mountain Lion and new computers around the corner you still have time to buy before school

7. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

Well, MacBook Air users should see a good increase in graphics performance with the Intel HD4000. Otherwise, CPU is a minor increase in speed, an improvement in the architecture, so some might see better battery as a result of better power management. MacBook Air will see some improvements, 2011 Pros users won't see much differences.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Get it. That way they will be released sooner as that's how it works

9. trikky macrumors regular

Get a new one today, because obviously the computer you're using has a broken search button, 'cos this question has never been asked before. In the past week. Or month. :eek:

Seriously folks....you buy a computer when you need a computer. If you don't need one for two months, then buy one in two months.

10. JohnnyChao macrumors member

u honestly cannot wait till the 11th to see what is released?

WOW

11. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean that it will be released on 11th this month? I guess I can wait...

12. HighFlyers macrumors member

HighFlyers

Not everyone knows about the WWDC, from his reply to you it seems he did not.

If you want to buy a new one, wait for the refresh. However now is the time to get a good deal on an early 2011 or late 2011 from someone selling to get cash for the refresh.

13. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Wait.

Plus, you'll also want to wait for the back to school promotion :)

14. Ifti macrumors 68000

Personally I think it's a shame they are getting rid of the Optical drive in the MacBook Pro. I would get one now.

15. JohnnyChao macrumors member

who says there getting rid of the optical drive? nothing has been released yet to know LOL

i dont understand why these "kids" need a 1000 dollar plus machine

16. whdigital macrumors regular

It cracks me up that everyone is now calling it fact that new MBPs will be announced on the 11th. We have seen NOTHING in the way of leaks surrounding new parts, cases, accessories.... Hell, we're even starting to see iPhone5 parts "in the wild" and nobody really expected that until Sept. maybe.

The current MBP line has sold, and continues to sell, TONS of product. They may not really do much of anything to it right now. I've got a bet hedged in both directions, but we shall see.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That's probably because we got a round of reliable information from places like Bloomberg and WSJ instead of the usual Digitimes "new triple-screen Macbook Pros in development" rumors.

18. Xcallibur, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I've been waiting for months, to be honest I don't see why people feel the need to go for the 'pro' lineup when all they're doing is a little photo editing!

19. whdigital macrumors regular

lol!

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

There's a lot of people that don't NEED a "1000 dollar plus machine." Why does that matter to you? If it's what the OP wants, what's the big deal? And just because someone is going to be using it for school doesn't mean he/she is a "kid."

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Definitely WAIT bro! Only 1 week to go, the wait is almost over :D

22. Azadre macrumors 6502

I am on year 2.5 of my current MBP, and it still runs beautifully well with the exception of gaming.

23. sweetbrat, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Why do you feel the need to insult people? The OP came asking for advice, not to be called names.

To the OP, no one knows for sure that they'll be announced at WWDC on the 11th, but it's a pretty safe guess. If you can, wait to see if you're interested in one of the new models. Or wait and see what the Back to School offer is this year. If you can't wait, I'd recommend a refurb. For the things you plan to do with it, a refurb model will have more than enough power, and could save you a good amount of cash.

24. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. I mean, most of the macbooks cost 1000 USD or above.

25. chanyitian thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you dont understand. By school, I mean graduate school. Do I seem like a ''kid'' to you now? why would u hate on me anyway, or send me an email just to call me stupid?