Should I get a Macbook (within the next month) or wait for an update?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by louis0nfire, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    #1
    Just want opinions because I can't decide. I know the first question you will all ask is "Do you need it right away?". No, not at all. I have a gaming PC as well as a white MacBook right now, but it's really beat up and I'm planning on selling it for whatever I can and then getting the unibody. Thanks guys.
     
  2. peepboon macrumors 6502

    peepboon

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    #3
    Hold out if you can :p

    If not, the ones out right now should be efficient enough to do what you want it to do... the speed bumps, etc wont be that noticeable :)
     
  3. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #4
    i forget, will the updated products be avaialble immediatly (like that day) at WWDC or in the coming months. I'm in the same boat as this dude, except I have an imac aluminum(that was updated six weeks after I bought it) I can hold, but no more than two months I think.
     
  4. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    Location:
    Ontario
    #5
    Dude I spent weeks pondering this. Cracked today and ordered a MacBook from the refurb store, can't friggin wait.
     
  5. relativist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
  6. Jameson626 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2009
    #7
    I'm holding out for WWDC. It's been a while since the last refresh, so we're due for another soon. That said, Apple might choose to wait until Snow Leopard and release a refresh alongside 10.6, though I'm really hoping they'll give us both at or very soon after WWDC.
     
  7. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #8
    i think they like doing the spec bump, getting those fish, then the os update and they catch people on that. Like I got hooked on the leopard os update, cause it was long enough after the release of the 1st alu imacs, plus I really didnt want to wait anymore and leopard was due to come out, so I pounced when they released that only to see a spec update a few months or so later. It's set up that you are never truly dissapointed but some times are better than others like the spec update that will happen maybe four months or so after snowleopard is released
     
  8. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
    Wait after WWDC
     
  9. Brien macrumors 68020

    Brien

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #10
    2 months, might as well wait. I waited 3 months for my MBP and I'm happy I did.
     
  10. shadownddust macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #11
    Apple may or may not update the specs, but you might as well wait since it's only a little over a month away and you said you don't need it right away. If they don't update them, then you really aren't out anything but some time, though I do know how hard waiting can be.
     
  11. Matek macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #12
    No point in waiting - the next update Intel will bring out is Mobile Nehalem, scheduled for Q3 2009. If it happens somewhere in August, we still have to wait at least two months for Apple to release a product with the new CPU. I wrote more about this here.

    I say buy now - even if Apple does update the MacBooks sooner (which is highly unlikely), they can't put any new hardware in them. The most they can do is a simple clock/hard drive/ram boost, which you can do yourself.
     
  12. Kardashian macrumors 68020

    Kardashian

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Location:
    Britain.
    #13
    There's so many of these threads been posted in the past. You're not the only one to have been in this situation. Search!!

    But, as the majority say: buy when you need it.

    If you needed it right now, I'd say buy it now (unless there was a rumoured update like next week)

    But since you don't need it for at least a month anyway - why don't you just wait?

    If you don't need it now, why buy it now?
     
  13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #14
    If your current systems are getting the job done for you, why buy now? It's not like your sitting at your desk having to use cuneiform in the meanwhile.

    If Apple releases a speed bump update at WWDC or Snow Leopard, then you've saved $130 on a OS update and gotten a better machine for the money.

    If Apple does neither one, you can still get a mb, and be out nothing.

    If you buy one now, and apple does either a spec or os update, you'l be spending extra money.
     
  14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Northeast USA
    #15
    how do you boost the cpu yourself?
     

Share This Page