Should i get a new or refurbished MacBook Pro 15" retina?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dragonjinse, Jun 20, 2013.

1. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

Both new and refurbished ones are similar in price. Surprisingly, the new is $15 cheaper than the refurbished!

I found the new macbook pro retina on ebay.
    The seller just bought it from apple store yesterday and decided to sell it online.

Both new and refurbished macbook pros come with 1 year warranty and both have the same spec.

Which one should i get?

I heard that the refurbished one got tested longer than the new one. Does it mean the refurbished one is better quality?

I want to buy a laptop that last longer than 4 years!

Thank you

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Why would the seller on ebay sell it for less than the refurb when he could just return it to Apple for a full refund?

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Go for the refurb. The other one is just an empty box.

3. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha.. True true true!! I feel the same. But it lists as new and never open. It still seals

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Of course it's never opened. You can't open something that doesn't exist.

All the more reason for him not to sell it. He could return it and get every red cent back. If it was real. But it isn't.

5. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Yield85 macrumors newbie

Go for the refurb. I brought a brand new one and it was DOA, at least you know refurbs have been well tested.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yeah, he decided to sell it online instead of returning it to Apple and getting his money back. Instead he goes through all the work selling on eBay, just to lose $200 or $300.

The refurbished Mac: Will be working like a new Mac. Obviously, **** happens, so if it doesn't work you send it back and get one that works. But that's just the same as with a new Mac.

The new Mac on eBay: Doesn't exist. It's a scam. You'll lose your money and get nothing.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Good rule of thumb....if it seems too good to be true, then it is.

Get the refurb

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

There IS no new one in this case

Refurbished is always cheaper and has the same guarantee. I'd always go for it.

10. dragonjinse thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know though.. So you guys think the refurbished one is better than a new one?

11. utekineir macrumors 6502

they think 2 things.

1) lol scam

2) you cant read for ****