should I get an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RJCP, Sep 23, 2011.

1. RJCP macrumors 6502

So, here's the deal... I have an iPhone 3GS and a 13" Alum. Macbook and I'm currently thinking if I should or shouldn't buy an iPad2.

For all those of you with iPhone, Macbook and iPad, what do you use it for (yes, I know what you can do with it...).

Also, should I get an iPad or should I wait for the new iPhone and then decide if I upgrade my handset or buy the iPad? No way I can buy both...

2. aziatiklover, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It actually just depend on how u gonna use your ipad 2 for?! I would wait and see wats the next iphone will be and if it has a bigger screen then I would get that since it would be between an iPad and a MB screen.

3. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

For me it was the screen real estate. Sure you can watch a movie or show on a iPhone, but boy things change quick when you see it on a iPad.

Even apps that are on the iPhone are often done so much nicer on a iPad. More screen real estate really opens to the doors to so many things.

I didn't see my iPhone as a real gaming device save maybe a bejeweled type game, but I do see the iPad as a legitimate contender to a dedicated gaming device such as a 3DS or Vita.

Once I saw how nice my Kindle books looked on it, I realized I could now start to CONSOLIDATE my gadgets - which is nice.

Then I found this Zinio app. I can get whole subscriptions to magazines delievered to my iPad? No more magazines sitting in the rack next to the toilet getting all gross for me !

It seems like every day I fiind something else the iPad can do for me.

4. Bob Maxey macrumors member

Can us non-Macbook/iPhone users comment?

You can surf the web, read and send email, play music and video, and download games from your phone. Ditto the iPad. The iPad is better because everything is bigger. So even though the iPhone will do everything the iPad does, the iPad makes it easier. If you need the world in your pocket, forget the iPad.

My iPad has been a blessing. I hate to call something perfect, but it comes very close in my opinion. I am a technical writer and there is very little I can't do with my iPad. I can easily work from almost anywhere I want or need to be. The battery life is clearly better compared to my laptop.

If I can create Word compatible documents, I am set. Pages is a great WP even though it is limited compared to MS-Word.

The iPad makes it easy to take notes on a production floor. I once tried a cell phone, but it was far too small to be of use. I can DL production documents to a flash drive and open the documents on my iPad. I tried using laptops in production settings, and it was a pain. The iPad makes it so easy, I think I am doing something incorrectly.

I am considering dropping my Android phone and going with a basic phone. I carry my iPad most places and it makes it easy to surf the web, read email, and the like, so a smart phone is less important to me these days.

I want to go as mobile as possible and with smaller devices. I love the Macbook Air because it is so small. Everything I need can fit in one side of the saddle bags.

I think you should buy an iPad. You will find it more useful than you might think because it does almost everything, with grace and elegance. How useful will be up to you. It is not a replacement for a laptop for some people but for others, it is all they need.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If u like apple toys, which most her do and have the funds, go for it.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I have a 27" iMac and an iPad (and a Shuffle, but that's neither here nor there).

I feel it keeps the Apple ecosystem balanced if you have one device that has a desktop OS, like your alum. Macbook, and one device with iOS. Since you have both, I really don't know what to tell you. Once you have an iPad in your hand though, you will feel that it's amazing.

Basically, in your situation, since you have a 3GS and an alum. Macbook, you seem fine for now. If you want to know whether you should buy an iPad, that's truly up to you. Do you want another device to "deal" with? I don't mean "deal" in a bad way, but each extra device you have will require more coordination from you.

For me, if I could do it all over, I would have a desktop Mac, and maybe, *just maybe*, an iPhone. But that's about it. The iPad is amazing, but I would not buy it again because it doesn't fill all the gaps for me. A desktop/laptop computer with Lion and one iOS device (preferably one that does it all, like the iPhone) would be perfect for me.

The end result: it's up to you. If you want an iPad, get one. If not, in my opinion, you're perfectly fine as it is with a desktop Mac, and a 3GS for all your mobile needs.

7. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all your input! :) I think I will wait to see what the new iPhone will bring. I feel my 3GS lagging a bit sometimes under iOS4, so I hope that iOS 5 doesn't make a useless brick. One of the reasons I thought of getting the iPad is that I travel quite frequently and since it's usually short stay trips, I only carry hand luggage. Even though the MacBook is a highly portable laptop, it's always a couple extra Kilos in my luggage and airlines get pickier all the time with weight limits. The iPad would solve this issue. The iPhone is fine for sending quick e-mails, but I just find that it is very tiring on my thumbs to write in it for a long time. The new iPhone won't certainly solve this as even if the screen gets bigger, it still won't be an iPad.

I'll keep the idea developing in my head and I'll see if I get it or not. :)