Should I get Applecare on my rMBP?

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Bought a baseline rMBP about 20 days ago and I'm contemplating getting applecare for it... Should I ?

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
I always buy it. It has paid off for me many times over the cost.
I usually keep my machines for six + years as I hand them down to the kids and family.
YMMV

Cheers

Shane

Last edited:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Bought it for my cMBP 2012 (which I recently gave to my wife). After the first year, the charger stopped working (darn frayed cable) and Apple replaced it twice. That made it worth it to me.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Bought a baseline rMBP about 20 days ago and I'm contemplating getting applecare for it... Should I ?
AppleCare has been worth it for me. A few months before the end of the 3 year period, the logic board went dead for unknown reasons. The Genius diagnosed it with hardware issues. Brand new logic board with no payments for it.

Mac2k4

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
AppleCare has been worth it for me. A few months before the end of the 3 year period, the logic board went dead for unknown reasons. The Genius diagnosed it with hardware issues. Brand new logic board with no payments for it.
Oh please. Spare me. Genius..lol

----------

Why? you can buy applecare days before your warranty expires. Why keep your money blocked?

Staggeredsix

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
It depends. Do you live in a state with an implied warranty? Many states have 5 year implied warranties on products. Applecare is nice if you travel, but if you live in a state such as Maine or Texas, they have 5 year warranties on everything. It's consumer protection :)

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
I buy them for almost every apple purchase I make (iphones/ipads/mac machines) and I've used them all for batteries exchanges, display replacements, etc, at no cost.

B&H has it for cheaper than at Apple

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
For Macintosh systems it's a must, but I don't bother with iOS in my case as my banks insurance covers 5 of my iOS phones and my iPad air for a fraction of the cost of AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.