Should I get Applecare on my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetlitheone, Oct 5, 2014.

1. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Bought a baseline rMBP about 20 days ago and I'm contemplating getting applecare for it... Should I ?

2. plusnq, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

plusnq macrumors member

I always buy it. It has paid off for me many times over the cost.
    I usually keep my machines for six + years as I hand them down to the kids and family.
    YMMV

Cheers

Shane

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Bought it for my cMBP 2012 (which I recently gave to my wife). After the first year, the charger stopped working (darn frayed cable) and Apple replaced it twice. That made it worth it to me.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AppleCare has been worth it for me. A few months before the end of the 3 year period, the logic board went dead for unknown reasons. The Genius diagnosed it with hardware issues. Brand new logic board with no payments for it.

5. Mac2k4 macrumors newbie

Oh please. Spare me. Genius..lol

----------

Why? you can buy applecare days before your warranty expires. Why keep your money blocked?

6. Staggeredsix macrumors newbie

It depends. Do you live in a state with an implied warranty? Many states have 5 year implied warranties on products. Applecare is nice if you travel, but if you live in a state such as Maine or Texas, they have 5 year warranties on everything. It's consumer protection :)

7. Team Timm macrumors regular

I buy them for almost every apple purchase I make (iphones/ipads/mac machines) and I've used them all for batteries exchanges, display replacements, etc, at no cost.

B&H has it for cheaper than at Apple

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

For Macintosh systems it's a must, but I don't bother with iOS in my case as my banks insurance covers 5 of my iOS phones and my iPad air for a fraction of the cost of AppleCare.