Should I get MGS4?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by evan g, Jul 3, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

I know that everyone says it's awesome, and looks pretty good, I've watched tons of videos, but is it still fun if I have never played Metal Gear Solid? I've considered it, but when it came down to it, I'm just not a stealth action kinda guy.

I've tried renting it, but it's always out. I also saw that the cutscenes are really long, and I guess that's OK, but I still need a little convincing before I buy it. Any help?

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

MGS4 is my first MGS game that I have owned, and I must say I was and still am absolutely blown away by the game. It's a must have for any PS3 owner. :)

3. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's exactly what I keep hearing, but I need some specifics! :D

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It is a great game. Wasn't a big fan of the other MGS games at all. But this one has kept my interest and I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would. :)

5. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

So is it solely based on stealth action, or is that just an option. I saw the GameTrailers review, and they said you can run and gun. That was the only part that got my attention.

Don't get me wrong, I like stealth action, I just tend to suck at it. :)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I tend to suck at it too tbh, and yeah you can pretty much run and gun everyone if you want. It is far more action orientated than the previous ones (well as far as I played in those others).

7. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Is the online any good? Suprisingly that wasn't covered by GameTrailers.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

9. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Well that right there is saying something. ALL of my friends dive straight into online, and never play single player, just because online is always better. If single player is THAT great... ;)

Interesting...

10. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

I'm not a big gamer, but I LOVE MGS4. Love the story, surprisingly I love the long cinematics, and amazing graphics/sound. Game of the year.

11. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

There's not too much Japanese essence to it? I can see a bit, which is fine, but sometimes they can go over the top (like White Princess the second ~ Love Adventure in the School That Follows the Principle of Convenience, Where It's Okay to Stray From the Path or Stay on the Path. Long name and everything. Need I say more?).

12. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

Yes.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

+++++++

Anyway, this is the first MGS4 that I have ever owned. It's simply amazing. The stealth action isn't that hard, especially once you get facecamo ;). But you can also run+gun. The online is great, but not for everyone. Finally, there is a bunch of stuff to unlock/buy so it's fun to replay, and the maps have some different paths.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you have a PS3, buy it.

Even if you've never played a MGS game before, buy it.
    Even if you've played but never enjoyed a MGS game before, buy it.
    Even if you think "it's a stealth game and I don't like that," buy it.
    Even if you're afraid of the long cut scenes, buy it.
    Even if you don't typically like over the top Japanese games, buy it.

It's probably not the best game ever, but it's a damn good one, and it's without a doubt the best game currently available on PS3. Oh, and I think you'll definitely want to play the single player before diving into the multiplayer in this game. One of the things that makes MGS4 amazing is that you can play it just about any way you want to.

15. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

There's a 10-20 minute setup process because you have to register a Konami ID but after your done online play is actually very impressive.

I only played for about 10-15 minutes, but from what I could see there were hundreds of people online and many options like having private games and all that you would want.

Yes you can. Usually when you get caught by an enemy your radar goes up and more enemies start coming at you, you can either run and gun, or you can hide and let them lose sight of you. I'm not a stealth guy, but I had an absolute blast playing this game in stealthy style.

Some people have managed to beat the entire game without killing one person. Obviously machines don't count, and I could spoil the rest for you.

All I can say is just pick it up. :) It's not the best game ever, but it is definitely the game of the year.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say play the first game before this one. IMO it's still the best game in the series on many levels. This puppy is hoping they port it to the PSP so I can run through it again.

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I was in the same position as the OP, and I decided against buying it. I think the cutscene/gameplay ratio would annoy me tremendously. (I already didn't care for MGS3 very much.) And if I skipped all the cutscenes, I would probably feel like I'm not getting a whole lot of game for 60 Euros.

I may try to rent it sometime. For the time being, I have many other games to entertain me.

18. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Should I buy the old games, or can I pick up everything I need from MGS4?

19. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Well when you buy MGS4 and you install it, you can download the Metal Gear Database via PSN. That pretty much has alot of information, timelines and events that happened in the series. It pretty much does a average job of explaining everything. It's not great though. You do learn alot about the past while playing/watching the game. Do not hesitate in picking it up.

I think its 10x better than GTA:IV.

20. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think I might get it, now I just need to wait for my paycheck so I have a good amount left in the bank after I buy it.

Geez, games are gettin' expensive! I almost bought BLACK the other day (only $20 bucks! :eek:) but I realized I was already buying Battlefield Bad Company and an Apocalyptica album. =P This is wearin' me out.

21. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

22. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I know my post wasnt the most desciptive, but as other people have said there's no reason not to. It's got something to please every type of gamer IMO.

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Get it, MGS4: Guns of the Patriots is perfect for a beginner with the cut scenes and all, Bottom line you don't get it your a fool.

24. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

This was my first MGS, and I love it so far.

I play stealth, and it's quite easy. Besides, if you get spotted you just revert to gun-action-madness mode until there's no one left to spot you. :)

Love the anime/comic book flavour running through it as well.

It's all great stuff (if you ignore Snake's voice acting, which is a bit... odd).