Should i get my 2009 mbp autographed by Wozzy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

Steve iWozniak is coming to my Uni, i was wondering if i should get my mbp autographed from him? Will it hurt resale value?

Opinions plox

Thanks in advance.

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

If it's in immaculate condition I'd pay more.

Edit:

I was on my way out when I saw this so sorry for the vague initial post.

If you're machine is literally like brand-new, the signature on the lid, and not excessively large, I'd definitely pay more. Not much more mind you but more than an equally speced non-signed machine.

Heck, if you do get it signed let me know! I already have a MBP (mid 15") so I wouldn't pay $$ outright but I could do a trade + $$ + shipping costs.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Haven't got a clue who that is. But if he's famous, doubt it will hurt resale value. Use a sharpie :p.

Only autographed Apple product I know is a friend of mine who got her iPod signed by Zac Efron. That's worth $0.10 now :)

4. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve Wozniak, how can you be on a mac board and not know who he is , hes the co founder of apple.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:eek:

The co-founder of Apple Computers.

[edit] beaten to it [/edit]

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Lol. I don't look into these things, doesn't matter to me who the hell founded the company. I like the products. Period

7. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

so sticking to topic, good idea? bad idea?

Honesty is appreciated!

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Yeh sorry about that.

Well, the Mac is Apple.. He is Apple. Go for it. I'm sure you'd get it done by Jobs, so why not him? :p I'm sure if you resold it, any mac fan would appreciate it, unless they think it's fake. Film it just incase. Lol

9. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Do you plan on selling it? If it is in excellent condition, I'm sure an Apple-Lover would buy it.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Since its new and I assume you plan to use it then I would not. If you had another notebook and this one sat on a desk then I'd say why not. But since you plan to use it I wouldnt.

11. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Short answer: No.

I've met him three times now. Super nice guy, down to earth and normal. There's nothing more weird than a fanboy asking for your autograph on his computer.

Sorry but it's pretty lame. Instead, show up and show him a circuit board you've been working on and talk electronics or maybe how you hacked a speak n' spell to recite Pi. (3.14159....) He'd get more of a kick out of that then taking a sharpie to your MBP.

12. heeb66 macrumors newbie

i think he is asking if it will make it have a higher/lower resale value, not how "cool" he looks. I would say having something signed by one of the founders of the company would be cool and probably increase the value a little as long as it is not a gigantic signature.

13. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I'd put it this way - if YOU want his autograph on your Mac, then by all means go for it. Don't do it for resale because it will only help if you find that 10% of the market interested in such an autograph. I downplay it a bit because Woz signs all kinds of stuff and for that reason his 'autograph' is really not worth more than his name, if you get my meaning. In my opinion, it's your computer - if you show up at a Cafe with a Mac and his name scribbled on it, 1 person might find it cool. Until the coffee's gone, anyway.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think it would be a lot more relevant if Woz was still working at Apple. Having him autograph a bit of kit he did not have a part in is kind of odd. Now if you had an Apple ][e or a 128k Macintosh then I would say yes.

15. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i appreciate the constructive criticism, i am an apple fanboy, i believe even though he might not be a big part of what apple is today, he is one of the two reasons we have Apple to begin with.

I dont want to get it to boost resale value, id just like to be able to get it autographed and not have to suffer problems with reselling it later on.

16. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

if you dont want to "increase" resale. and you obviously don't plan on keeping it forever as a momento, if you did you would not be asking about hurting resale.

so if neither of those or your reasons, then dont do it.

to me those are the only reasons to do it. to keep, or to sell as a profit.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Woz is totally overrated, and I would pay less money for a laptop with his autograph on it, unless I was able to rub said autograph off with a tissue or soft cloth.

However, in your case, I think you should go for it. You obviously like him enough to get it, and I'm sure there are a lot of Mac users out there who know who he is, and would pay more for such a machine (if you were to sell it later).

But jfyrfytr25 is right though.

18. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yeah, so am I... I would probably do it if the opportunity presented itself. I just wouldn't expect it to make my MBP 'invaluable', you know?

19. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

If it was me and i was going to do it. I would have him sign on the bottom.
    the part that can be easily replaced without alot of money.

in fact, why dont you just buy a unibody topcase and have him sign that.

I saw one on ebay today, a 15" unibody topcase included the keyboard and trackpad. $129.

get some thing like that and then hang it on your wall.

20. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Dunno about you but... if I were getting something 'signed' or 'autographed'... I dont plan to sell it... EVER. I see it as something unique.

21. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

22. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

It depends who you would sell that Mac to. If a person knows who Steve iWozniak you can make more money. Make sure you take good care of the Mac though. Its worthless if your Mac wont work.

23. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

He could always buy a new body though to make it look brand new again.

24. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

He was obviously being sarcastic... :rolleyes:

and

YES! Get it signed by Wozzy :) Just make sure it doesn't rub off :D so use a sharpie and let him sign it, like, above the keyboard or something where it isn't touched much. Good luck!!!