Should I get my MBP replaced again?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by secretpact, Mar 9, 2008.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

My first MBP had a bad USB port. Now my new one makes an EXTREMELY loud noise when it starts up and when I insert CDs. My first one was very quiet when inserting CDs. Do you think they will even let me replace it again? I plan on going to another apple store, probably.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Might as well try, but the noise might not necessarily be out of the ordinary. I mean, I'm not sure, because I can't hear it, but...

3. BowZinger macrumors member

if you want them to replace it then go...if you don't then don't go...

4. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

What kink of loud noise? Can you tell where it is coming from?

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I don't really think that answers the question at all....

6. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

the noise is coming from the CD drive. The apple store is on my way to school so its not like i'm going that much out of my way. I wonder if I could just get them to replace the drive though? I don't want to get one of those "yellow" screens (I think I just jinxed myself :eek:)

If my first MBP's CD drive made as much noise as this one I would just think it's normal. But my first one sounded so silent, smooth, sleek. This one sounds like it hates discs and wants them to die.

7. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

The CD drive does spin when the computer boots up. I would say the noise is of medium intensity and only lasts a second. It sounds like it's spinning with no disc. Is that the part that makes you think it will eat a disc?

8. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

When I turn on my computer it makes a short zipping noise, like a zipper going up and down really fast. When I put in a CD it makes crunching noises.

9. tokiidokii macrumors regular

hmmm my cd drive is really quiet. you do hear noise when there's a cd in there and when it's searching and stuff. i mean crunching noise, is it different from the noise a regular drive makes (ie. when the laser is searching)? like when i think of 'crunching' noise i'm like thinking hd failure noise.

tbh, if it's really audible and if it doesn't sound right to you, i say have them take a look/listen and see if you can have the drive replaced/repaired.

10. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Yes, it is a zipper like noise but I don't have the crunching noise with CD insertion.

As others have said, probably worth a trip to the Apple Store to have it looked at.

11. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input guys.
    Do you think they'll give me a new one? Cause normally I'd be okay if they just replaced the optical drive, but I'm in a time crunch and also there's a black spot on my trackpad button that won't come off ><. It's bothering me lol and I don't know if it's possible to replace a trackpad button.

12. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

If you're still in the 14-day return period, they should replace it for you without any problems.

On the other hand, if there's really nothing else about the machine that's wrong, you may want to consider just the optical drive replacement, because this is a really quick and easy job.

13. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I'd definately give it a try. If you have apple care, and things are going wrong, UTILIZE THE SERVICE! :)

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

At least take it in and see what they say. Don't let this type of thing go, it can be much more expensive to deal with later...

Your CD drive shouldn't be making LOUD noises.

15. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone NOT have a zipper noise when you turn on your MBP? My first one didn't, but Winglet said his does.

16. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

yea,Mines the same start up noise what is your hard drive rpm?

17. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

It's just the optical drive checking if there's a disc in it. Some are quiet and some are noisy. Probably just depends on how much lubricant got on the moving parts on the assembly line.

18. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

You paid good hard earned money for that MBP, take it back , return period is 14 days from date of purchase or EXCHANGE, if there is a poor quality control issue than thats Apples problem and NO customer should have to be effected by it.

TAKE IT BACK

19. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Its the stinkin' CD drive, who cares?

The funny thing is every single MBP I've seen makes a different distinct noise when it starts up! Som are high pitched, some are low pitched, etc.

I would say if the machine is perfect otherwise, just keep it. There is nothing wrong with it. My last MBP had an insanely loud CD drive on startup, but it didn't bother me enough to warrant a replacement.

20. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Thats a normal sound, some Drives are louder than others for some reason, but both my MBP's had this brief loud sound inserting CD's and turning it on and waking it from sleep. Apple even has a document about this saying its normal, dont worry about it.

21. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is during my break at school I go to the library and watch DVDs. I don't want to bother other people. Hopefully I can get a silent drive :D

22. virtuatony macrumors regular

I've had the Superdrive changed on my MB 3 times and previous MBP 2 times.

I have heard them make different noises from loud to quiet however in a library each one would be audible, wish you could somehow keep it from trying to read a disc when you wake it up sometimes.

But the only thing I really cared about was whether or not they worked and didn't scratch my discs.

23. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

24. virtuatony macrumors regular

well i just swapped my merom MBP for a penryn today and when i turned it on i was surprised at how much quieter the noise is when the drive checks for a dvd/cd was compared to others i've heard, however in a library others will still hear it.

according to system profiler the drive is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-867

25. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD2wqE8K3m0
    Here is a video I just took of my MBP.

PS. Does your MBP take that long to startup, and does the white screen come down like it does on mine? I don't remember it doing that on my first MBP...