Should I? (get Shure earphones)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by enklined, Oct 15, 2007.

1. enklined macrumors 6502

I HATE the iPhone headphones - they suck for working out - constantly falling out.

I have an oppurtunity to get the Shure I2c-m (carried at the ATT stores) for only $50 (usually $100).

I've read some reviews that say these are good, but not "all that great."

However, those reviews may have been based on the $100 price tag....

Those of you that have had, or still use these, what do you think? Are they worth $50?

Thanks!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

At $50 they are a great deal, the only thing is that the mic is MUCH bigger than the stock one and you get no controls from the mic like you do with the stock buds. Shure make some very nice buds and while they take a little while to get used to the sound is good.

3. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Or I could pay double and get the V-Moda Vibe Duo .... comes with the in-line mic (as the shures above), but has the iPhone play/pause/next track function as well...

4. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I have read great things about Shure headphones; the 110 model which is about $99 and the 210 model which is around $149 .

However read good things, is about where the buck stopped for me. I bought them and returned them the next day.

Most people don't realize that the stock iPhone earphones actually sound better ( yes I said that keep reading) than the Shure headphones.

The reason the Shure headphone seem to sound better is simply because of the sound isolation they provide. It turns out that the speaker quality (especially when it comes down to bass response) is of a lesser quality then the iPhone buds.

Don't believe it? try this if you own a pair of Shure buds:

SHURE BUDS:
    • Play your favorite track with the shure buds on (use the foam inserts that come with Shure; not the rubber ones) so you get 100% sound isolation.
    • Listen to your track for about 20 seconds then stop the track and rewind back to zero.

iPHONE BUDS:
    • Now put the Apple iPhone buds on.
    • Place your hands over you ears with your palms facing toward your face
    • Place your thumbs behind the back of you ears
    • Use your index fingers to press the iPhone buds in you ears
    • Use your middle fingers to press the little flaps on the front of your ears against the the buds.
    • This simulates sound isolation.
    • Play the same track for 20 seconds

If you still believe the Shure buds sound better you should seriously get your ears checked or consider that you might be trying to justify the cost of the Shure buds so your trying to make yourself believe they sound great. Reality of it is the iPhone buds sound a ton better especially with bass. If the Apple iPhone buds had sound isolation similar to Shure then Shure would be sitting on a warehouse full of unsold product.

If your looking for a better pair of earphones I wouldn't bother with anything in the $100 range, I can't really say 1st hand what the Shure model sounds like at the $499 but I wouldn't spend that much on the a pair anyway.

I tried the Bose $100 pair IN ear headphones, and while bose does make good speakers, I didn't keep those either.

If you really want to see a big improvement in sound quality you have to forget IN ear headphones.

I ended up buying the Bose ON ear headphones and haven't looked back twice. Amazing sound, amazing bass, surprisingly not so bulky.

5. rjhouck macrumors newbie

I returned the Shure SE310's after 2 weeks of use. The cabling was to big and bulky for me.

6. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Actually, instead I hooked my E3C's and my Apple stock buds to a Monster iSplitter 200, used your method of isolation on the Apple buds, and spent a few minutes listening to different types of music partly with the Shure's muted, partly with the Apple buds muted, and partly with both having sound (Shure in one ear, apple in another ear).

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you here. My <insert acceptable diety name here> do I have to disagree. Bass was definitely stronger on the Apple buds, but that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone who knew about the Shure's....they are not bass heavy and aren't for those who prefer that kind of sound. While the Shure's might be "lacking" in that particular arena.....the Shure's don't sound like I'm listening through a layer of mud. The lows, while not as strong, are more detailed and the mids and the highs have much higher fidelity to the music. First one that comes to mind was listening to Stupify by Disturbed. The background cymbals come through much clearer on the Shure's and actually sound like real cymbals, rather than the muted and muddied representation on the Apple buds. The overall soundstage feels much more open on the Shure's and the stereo response is much clearer and more noticeable. I'm not even going to delve into the classical piece. Absolutely no contest.

Again, in general if one is looking for solid bass, the Shure's are definitely not for them. What the Shure's do bring are a much clearer and more accurate representation of the sound. And just to mention, I had my ears checked just this past June. Passed no problem, which was kind of a surprise to me...but that's what the Doc said!

I can. Fortune of having a relative who a)makes a crapload of money and b) is an extreme audiophile (his stereo system is more expensive than the average Porsche!). I wouldn't spend that much money on them either, ESPECIALLY for an item as easily loseable as headphones, but they sure sound absolutely amazing. Same with his stereo....it is absolutely amazing to listen to a recording and hear the exact position of each instrument of the piece, almost like you're right there in the studio.

I'd say try popping up on one of the major audiophile forums out there and you'll find a LOT of people challenging that statement. The in-ear-canal phones in reviews very often hold their own and some even excel over their standard counterparts. They do fall a bit when you get to the upper levels, but I don't think headphone/amp combos costing nearly six times the value of the iPhone itself are really germane to the discussion.

I'm glad you found headphones that work for you.....as I believe that is the most important part.

7. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I guess my review of the iPhone buds vs the Shure buds is slightly biased. I really am a fan of bass. If strapping a pair of 12" kicker competiton component speakers to my head were practical, I'd do it. :p

I was very surprised to see the iPhone buds outperform the Shure buds in the bass category so i cant justify the cost of an additional $100 to a pair of stock headphones.

In regard to the in ear vs full size headphones:
    I agree that the quality of some of the in ear buds on the market are remarkable and compared to some of the lower end or even mid level full size headphones I could definitely see them holding their own weight. But that's where that debate should end realistically. Larger speakers properly isolated are naturally going to hsve sn easier time reproducing the lower range of the sound spectrum at a higher db

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I have Shure 210s with the Shure iPhone adapter. They sound good if you know how to wear them. The driver seems better to me than the stock Apple buds. The best sound so far is the Bose QC headset. They have a more open soundstage and nice bass response.
    The 210's, though, offer better noise isolation passively that the QCs provide actively.

9. chopper dave macrumors regular

I think you are confusing frequency volume with clarity. You can get that same bass volume from any decent headphones by just turning up the bass in the iPhone's sound profile. What you won't be able to replicate is the clarity across the entire frequency spectrum.

Also, it is very silly to review earbuds with your hands cupped around your ears. Of course the Apples will have more bass this way- the low frequency sounds are amplified when you press the skin around them, effectively creating isolating buds from more open ones. The only thing that matters is how they sound when they are worn as intended.

$50 is a steal for the Sure buds. I recommend you go to the store and try them on. If you like the look and feel, there is nothing else to complain about. I personally bought and returned them for this reason, but the sound quality was as good as the price implies. I was impressed that I could actually hear bass as music, rather than loud, muddled "thuds". The mic is also a little better than the Apple buds, though bulky as mentioned before.

If you really, REALLY do like that bass more, try Vibe buds- they have a reputation for good, CLEAN bass.

10. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

I've decided to pass on the Shures, for two main reasons: Lack of play/Pause/Next track, which I LOVE, and is a must have, and 2) the bass isn't very good.

After surfing the net, it looks like the Vibe Duos are my best bet at $109ish (eBay a bit cheaper). They have, from what Ive read, great bass, and include the in-line remote control and mic.

11. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

When I get a chance I'll check those out, I overlooked Vibe during my search for better buds.

12. Jocko macrumors member

To each his own, I guess!

13. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

anyone compare the Shure to the V-Moda Vibe Duo to the Ultimate Buds? (sorry to thread highjack).

14. rjgonzales macrumors regular

Sorry, but this statement negates your entire response. Bose makes garbage and anyone who says otherwise has not heard quality speakers.

15. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

This always perplexes me, who are you to say what speaker manufacture is best for everyone? Everyone has different likes and requirements, just because you don't like a companies product you automatically jump to conclusions about someone whose preferences are different than yours.

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I could not disagree more. I have a THX reference theatre and have mixed over 65 feature films here. I have A/Bed my 10 year old Bose towers with my JBL mega expensive reference monitors (my L/R monitors) and I prefer the Bose. Not for accuracy but for the exagerated, excited soundfield.
    Really throws around SFX. Bose are not meant to be reference and can not be used to mix but they sure are fun!

17. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I think you just nailed the reason why so many people either love or hate Bose in your post.

For the average consumer Bose is remarkable. Their ability to make surround like sounds is what it is.

I honestly don't know how Bose makes their speakers or what if any pre sound processors they throw in there but even their smallest speakers give the impression that you are listening to sound in a 5 square mile arena.

Now for professional sound production? of course Bose pisses people off for the very same reason .

18. campas12 macrumors newbie

i got the shure se210 and the shure iphone adapter for 140 all in. the vibes seem more like a gimmick headphone to me. bass heavy isn't the sign of a better headphone- most likely it's someone confusing that with muddiness. from the reviews i've seen, they don't sound isolate, thereby being only marginally better than the stock headphones...to me sound isolation is very important since i'm in nyc subways. with the shures on (i used to have the e3) i can listen to my iphone at the lowest volume. with the stockers, i basically need them at 100% volume, and with the koss's i need the volume at about 75%. while this may not be important to some ppl, i'm trying to save my hearing ;)

that being said, if you're main music taste is bass heavy (rap/hiphop) then go for it. personally i listen to everything (yes, even country), and prefer the clarity over a bass heavy but muddy sound.

on and here's an even more in-depth review

http://www4.head-fi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209474

Sound So here's where it counts. What do these little fashionistas do other than look pretty? Huh? V-Moda has their work cut out for them - around here, anyway. They have a business philosophy much like B&O or *gasp* Bose(!) and they have some... bold marketing language to match. There's an air of suspicion around this company and I think a lot of us are thinking "do they have the chops?"

19. iPhoneRuss macrumors newbie

Good review, I also gave up on ear buds because lack of bass, I tried like hell to get them to fit in my ear different so I could hear some BASS, the standard one's sound the best to me so farrrrr..

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...you are nuts

The Shure line-up is consistently better then most of their competition and the iPod earphones aren't that.

The SE530's are overkill, the Shure SE210's aren't competition for most of the sub- $200 headphones (outside of Grado's) and the SE110's blow the Wal-Mart bought Sony's away.

21. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Sorry, but this is simply not true. Bose makes great speakers. They are on par with anything you'll find for half the price.

They sound good. They just don't sound as good as their price.

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Some people legitimately don't like the sound of Shure headphones. However, I'd say that most of the people who don't like them, simply aren't using them to the best of their ability.

First, plug it into a player (iPod, whatever) and let it run for 24 hours. This will loosen them up and the bass will sound better.

Then, experiment with all the buds. Be sure to squish the foam ones up and hold them in for 10 seconds before releasing.

Still don't like them? That's fine. Don't think it's worth going through all that trouble? That's fine too. However, if you're willing to go through all these steps, I guarantee you will like them more than you did before doing this stuff.

23. khosna macrumors member

I bought the Sure 210 mainly for the sound isolation -- I travel often -- so I could get rid of my clunky Sony noise canceling headphones.

They work great, isolates outside noise well and provides good sound. I am not a big bass fan so they work great for me.

I only wish I would have saw this post before I spent $150.00 for them.

24. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I got a pair of Shure 310s for Christmas... because while I'm no audiophile, I certainly think I have a lower tolerance for crappy sound than the average consumer. I hate the Apple buds, because they sound, like many said, muddy... and they always break after a month's of use.

The Shure's do lack in the bass... but that's intentional on their part, I think. If I need bass, then I'll listen to music in my car, in my home, or at my computer.

The reason I love the Shures is because of their awesome sound isolation. Zero extra components. No bulk. No batteries. No switch. And yet, when I'm walking around campus, or trying to ignore my neighbor's blaring music, the Shures completely throw me into my own space.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I appreciate the 'lab' experience you're trying to create; ultimately the design/ergonomics of the Apple buds are a component of their experience. I can't very well run holding my buds in the fashion you suggested.

I am a VERY pleased Shure E3g owner of 15 months. Simply put, the Apple components represent a complimentary-mass produced piece of the iPod experience they have fewer drivers, cheaper elements, and only work for some people's ears.