Should I get the Lifeproof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iSabifi, Mar 4, 2012.

1. iSabifi macrumors member

iSabifi

I was wondering of the lifeproof case is worth the $80? I am planning on getting it later this week but if it isn't worth it then I am not gonna get it.

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Did you search this forum yet? There are a few lengthy posts about this case here that will help you make a decision.

Heres one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300138&highlight=lifeproof

I personally liked the case except for the built in screen protector, I wish they would improve it. The screen protector on it bothered me so much I returned the case.

3. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I slightly agree with the previous poster. In that I mean I have Black Lifeproof on mine, and a pink one on my wife's iPhone. The screen protector is the weakest point, but overall the case is great. And I did NOT return either of mine. :)

For example: I had my phone in my gym bag hanging about 5-6 off the floor and the iPhone fell out of the bag and bounced into a puddle. Phone is unharmed.

Its light weight and thin. I would never test it by doing the things they do in the video;s on their sight, but IMO it is great "ops" insurance. Esply since there are no apple stores within 3 hours of me for exchange/repair.

4. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I hated the screen protector so much I returned it as well.

5. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I hated the screen protector, did not like how it sat on the iPhone glass screen and it scratches VERY easily. I returned mine as well.

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

If I had to choose between cases that have that amount of protection I definitely buy life proof!

7. gjb11 macrumors regular

Another vote here for the screen protector being horrible.

8. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Absolutely not.

There is no need to spend that kind of money on a case unless it's a battery extender case. Even then, you can find deals where you can get those for about $50.

10. irod87 macrumors regular

If you need that much protection then yes. It has its downsides. You can add me to the list of those who returned theirs.

11. JMies419 macrumors 6502

The waterproof protection is amazing, if you truly need the waterproof capability I think this is the only case worth buying. I bought the case to use on a daily basis and don't need to constant water proof protection. If it wasn't for the screen scratching so easily I would have kept it, other than that it is a very nice case and looks great too imo.

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

The waterproofing on the case is really nice, but the materials which the case is made out of are very cheap, and the way you put it together or open it up can be difficult at times. I can't believe they're charging so much for such a case. I'm sure there will be several dozen knockoffs on EBay going for under $15 soon enough.

13. gjb11 macrumors regular

I'm not sure id trust a knock off though to be water proof such as taking it in a pool for pictures... 0.02

14. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

If waterproof is a must, than yes, I could not stand the screen protector, but I didn't really, really needed that case, but if they had matte screeen protector I would keep it, it is otherwise an amazing case.

15. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

The pillow affect killed it for me. I can't be slowed down by my screen protector

16. maliu macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why so many of you don't like the screen. I've had 3 cases all different colors and I can't tell the difference between case and plain glass.

17. gjb11 macrumors regular

That is a blatant lie or you are oblivious because the screen protector feels nothing like the glass. Sorry.

18. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Although I do like my LifeProof case, screen is the worst thing about it. You can definitely tell that there is something there...

19. dthree36 macrumors regular

I personally like the life proof case but its kind of a permanent solution. Its advised that you don't remove the phone after installation because the gaskets can begin to fail. I change activities from cycling/running often so I need some protection from both water and drops. The new version seems pretty thin compared to the first version. For me... I get tired of cases pretty quickly so I would probably change it and ruin the gasket rending the case useless over time.

20. salsbury macrumors newbie

Add me to the list who returned the case because of the built in screen protector :-/

21. gjb11 macrumors regular

22. tygrubb macrumors regular

Overall, I am the pleased with the case and it performs as advertised. The so-called "pillow effect" is indeed a bit annoying; you get used to it somewhat after a while, and then there's also just chucking it up to a small sacrifice for that level of protection (with other cases you pay the price in bulk).

I'm sure I speak for most people in saying that the priority for revision 3 should be a much better screen protection system that wasn't so ill-fitting.

That said, if you need the protection that it offers and you can stand to leave it on the phone semi-permanently and deal with the screen pillowing, then it's worth the $80 for the go-anywhere-do-anything peace of mind. If you need to switch cases out for different purposes or are extremely picky about the screen feel, then this is not the the case for you.

23. Danomac macrumors newbie

Add me to one more who returned his lifeproof case. Hated the "pillowing" effect with the touch screen. Ended up going with a Zagg film on the front and back and a ocellairis bumper. Much happier.

24. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

The pillowing effect really does suck but what really bothers me is the inside of the screen protector on the home button area is a glued square of plastic that's used to touch the home button and the possibility it can scratch the home button.

25. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

jfrancis04

Wait for reviews on the new Incipio Atlas and Griffin Survivor+Catalyst.