Should I get the Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yearofthe, Dec 26, 2010.

1. yearofthe, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

I just got the 21.5" iMac for Christmas. It came with the magic keyboard, but it came with a crappy black PC mouse. Should I go to Best Buy (since I have a gift card there) and flame $70 for the "magical" mouse? Or should I get a descent wireless mouse for less?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yes

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They're pricey but they're fun to use, and oh so cool looking. Why not complete your setup and enjoy yourself?

4. HEB macrumors member

it depends

It depends what you're doing and what your preference is. For instance, If you do gaming and graphics, I would not recommend the magic mouse for that. The magic mouse may have a nice glassy comfortable finish, but the mouse itself can be inaccurate sometimes. Frankly, the mouse gets noticeably uncomfortable when using it for prolonged periods of time. If you're a casual web browser and have $70 to spare on a cool mouse, I would strongly suggest you to get the magic mouse.

5. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I recently retired my Magic Mouse. I could no longer stand the hand cramps.

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

This. I can stand Apple's Magic Mouse; it sucks.

The Magic Trackpad though, that thing is sweet!

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I wonder if I'm missing something?!

If your iMac is a new machine, supplied with the Bluetooth keyboard, surely you should have a Magic Mouse as part of the standard equipment?

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I used the Magic Mouse that came with my Mac Pro for a day in Indesign and hated it. It just seems way to sensitive to horizontal/vertical scrolling. My niece on the other hand loves hers. I've gone back to an old-school wired one-button Apple pro mouse :eek:

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I got rid of the magic mouse and keyboard the first day I had my 27".

Using a full size MS keyboard and mouse but then again, I am only running WIN7 64 bit Ultimate! The performance is fantastic!:D

10. yearofthe thread starter macrumors regular

yearofthe

My parents got it off of ebay.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Ah! Problem solved :)

12. yearofthe thread starter macrumors regular

yearofthe

Don't get me wrong, the machine is in perfect condition. The only reason they got it off there is ,because my mom got a 10% off anything on ebay coupon. Used it on the Mac and got it for $899.10 (with shipping.) Now it's $969 if I get the mouse. (Still, it's cheaper than buying it refurbished from Apple with tax included.)

13. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

THIS!

I have never had anything but problems with Mac mice. The wired variety is ok once you get used to it, unfortunately the 360degree scroll wheel WILL die (rubbing it on a piece of paper only works so many times.)

The magic mouse is decent for general use, but not for a long time nor work that requires any amount of precision.

Personally I use an M$ Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, it's really comfortable and not tiny like a lot of mice now, it's ugly next to all my pretty Mac stuff, but I don't care lol.

14. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I have 2 magic mice so I use them all day long and I have no problems with hand cramps are you sure you guys are holding them right? :D

After using the trackpad though I want to switch just don't want to buy two :(

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I don't get the whole hand cramp thing with the Magic Mouse either, and I've got rather large hands. I find mine very comfortable to use. I use Magicdriver and I love it. I couldn't see going back to a regular gesture-less mouse at this point. I have no precision problems either.

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I enjoy the magic mouse on my iMac. What I enjoy using more is my MBP due to the glass trackpad. You should get the magic trackpad you'll love it.

17. toxic macrumors 68000

for $70 I'd rather buy this Logitech mouse ($60-80 depending on where you look). there are also lots of other better, more ergonomic mice for a less than $70.

I don't think Apple has ever made a good mouse.

18. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I think the Trackpad is the future of desktops

19. TheNakedMan macrumors member

I like the magic mouse. I will be getting a trackpad soon enough.

20. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Of mice and (wo)men

In no uncertain terms. To me it is simply magical. I love it. I do not see how we lived without it. It is as much of an innovation for personal computing to me as the first mouse (another Apple innovation) was back in the early eighties. My experience with it is that there seems to be a very short learning curve, and a lot gained in ergonomics. I find my hand is much more relaxed than before when using other mice... I do hate my peel off post-it calendar mousepad however. It would be cool to have a TRON, or POTC, or PIXAR, or even an Apple mousepad though. Maybe a Macrumors mousepad???

21. floridaoj1 macrumors newbie

floridaoj1

I don't get how they removed all the spider web of wires and clutter and tower and stuff from these computers, yet you still need a 2 foot square desktop space to rub a mouse all over the place, it doesn't make sense, especially with the bigger monitors..? I'm constantly banging the mouse into the keypad or glass of water or whatever is on the desk at the time, and wonder why.?

If I keep this computer, definately going to use a trackball.... I have a microsoft red laser ball trackball on the other PC, and it takes up only the space it's sitting on, no matter what I do or scroll or click.....

22. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I had a iMac with the Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard. I sold them and now use a MBP with an external monitor for photo editing. I liked the magic mouse but instead decided to get the Trackpad instead of a mouse. The trackpad as more functions making it easier to expand text... Same price and it does take a little getting used to but I suspect the future of the mouse is bleak in favor of the new trackpad. Also, the trackpad is much bigger than the trackpad on my MBP.

a trackpad vs a mouse is personal preference but worth considering ;)

23. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

24. excommie macrumors regular

I couldn't stand the mouse. Very inaccurate, uncomfortable. On top of it, it started waking up my iMac at random times. Apple geniuses were clueless. At the time, there was a ton of threads on this, without any solution. Sold it and got a nice Logitech. Now, I'm happy. I have no opinion on the Magic Trackpad. Wonder if the issues with Apple Magic Mouse waking up iMac were ever fixed?

25. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

I've never tried the magic mouse, but I LOVE my magic trackpad. I'm finding it harder and hard to keep my old powerbook because its trackpad isn't gesture capable...