Should I get the retina MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iBilal, Nov 1, 2015.

1. iBilal macrumors regular

iBilal

I'm not in the I.T. industry .. I don't code .. I don't even need my laptop at work .. my laptop is strictly for email, social media, downloading and watching movies, youtube and simple stuff like that ..

I have the MBP 15" 2012 edition and it's perfect .. fast .. never a problem ..

I just have a thing for laptops and notebook computers .. even before they were so popular and bulky and ugly .. I love exploring the potential of a personal computer (esp. a notebook) can do .. so I have this MBP 15-incher .. and other lots of airs and PC notebooks have come and gone over the years ..

I saw the rMB at the store .. and my jaw dropped .. it's the future of computing .. I LOVED IT .. loved the retina screen .. but I don't need it .. I have no use it except just to buy it for fun .. I really really REALLY want it .. I can sort of afford it, too .. so should I get it .. or is it just a waste? .. I can't decide .. someone help make the decision easier for me, please!!! ..

2. gooser macrumors 6502

my philosophy has always been: when in doubt, do it.

has gotten me in trouble a few times though.

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Buy it, mines fantastic.

I use my laptops heavily as they're the tools I make my living with. In addition as a very enthusiastic long time Apple customer I'm a bit biased towards Apple gear.

Currently I have a fresh new fully optioned rather obscenely priced 15" MBP, along with my new MacBook which I use on the plane when I travel for work several times per month.

Great machines in their own ways. :D

4. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

"Wanting" something is just as valid a reason as "needing" something. My view, for something I use so much like a notebook I have to own the exact one I want, no compromises. For your use-case, it's perfect.

And to make you feel better: Apple's 14 day return policy lets you take a test drive, make sure you love it before you commit permanently.

BJ

5. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

don't really need a 2nd laptop .. would feel guilty about wasting money ..

but, hey, it's like a hobby .. and you spend on your hobbies ..

I travel about a dozen times a year .. I put the laptop in my checked-in luggage .. I already use a messenger bag for my crap .. I can't lug around a 15 inch laptop .. this 15 MBP has traveled a lot .. I put it between my clothes .. no cover no nothing .. the bags are thrown around, I'm sure .. but nothing ever happens to the laptop ..

so, I should get it for travel .. huh?

6. redheeler, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I can understand wanting a 12" rMB as a secondary laptop. I once had a 15" mid 2012 rMBP, and I disliked its large size and weight when carrying it around. I even got a 13" rMBP to use as a secondary laptop, and it has worked out great for me.

So, if you want a secondary laptop, go for it!

7. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

yes, I really do like it ..

I just can't justify spending so much on a secondary laptop .. unless it's "AMAZING" .. this (the rMBP) seems to be plagued with issues .. so then I think I should get the 13 inch Macbook Pro .. which is really good value for money and one of the best laptops out there .. but it'll be boring, it'll be the same as the 15 incher I have ..

so confused!

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's up to you to decide what you want, but the rMB would make a small and lightweight secondary laptop, as long as you can make do with the lack of ports. You have 14 days to return it if you decide you made the wrong choice. You could also consider waiting until the spring rMB refresh, where it might see a price drop.

9. pmouritz macrumors member

If you are able to afford it, I would say do it! The updated Skylake version won't be out before early 2016 (if not later) and the current version should be plenty fast for the average user. I'm currently in the same position in which I unfortunately can't buy it without selling my other and therefore use it as my main computer. Therefore, I will wait for the Skylake update and buy that and save some money to be able to buy a used iMac 27" too for media center and more intensive tasks. I have tested it thoroughly in store and it doesn't seem to have any difficulty running with semi-heavy usage.
    I'm already seeing price drops in Denmark on the rMB, so if you could get anything similar to those, now would probably be a decent time to get one :)

10. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Loving the 12 rMB so much that we now have two of them.

But do not ever check your laptops, when traveling! Keep them near you at all times. Just had my kids' 13 MBA stolen from an American Airlines flight, a few months back. It was a carry on bag that the flight attendants made us check while boarding an overbooked flight, which is the only reason they wound up checking it. Anyhow, bag arrived but the laptop inside of it didn't. No investigation, query, or compensation. Airline referred me to a 30 or so page document that outlines about 50 types of things that aren't covered, and computers & electronics are on that list. Somebody, airline employee or contractor, reached past my kids' clothes and toys to steal their laptop.

So, airline employees will steal your laptop, and their employer will do nothing about it. Never check your laptop, camera, or anything else of value.

11. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

omg! .. I'm so sorry .. I would expect that like in a third world country .. but not in the States! .. :*( .. I'm so sorry!

12. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

I travel, a lot .. and a lot to third world countries .. I only fly Emirates so that has not happened to me, yet .. I've been checking my bag in, with the laptop in it .. and just tell them to put a "fragile" sticker on it ..

recently I had some stuff shipped over from Sydney .. the customs people stole EVERYTHING .. even the shoes .. (I had nice shoes) .. and there isn't anything I can do about it .. just lesson learnt .. and no point in crying over spilt milk ..

thank you for your reply and support, guys .. all of you!

I don't like waiting for the "next" model .. unless it's majorly flawed .. I'm sort of the carpe diem type who believes in the now .. by the spring of next year, I will probably getting the Surface Book to play with :)

I will be buying in Pakistan .. so there's no return policy .. yes, I can afford it .. I just have to justify the amount to myself ..

I've actually had a rough year .. cancer, etc. .. so I think I deserve it .. my b-day's coming in January .. so I should get a nice present for myself .. let's see .. either the MacBook .. or a Paul Smith/Burberry messenger bag :)

then I'm thinking .. if I really want a more portable computer .. with the ease of ports and the works .. the 13 inch macbook pro is amazing .. the best battery life .. it would be more bang for buck ..

13. mdbradigan macrumors member

mdbradigan

FWIW, having owned both the 13" MBP and the 15" MBP - there is not that much difference between them.

However - the rMB is a different beast entirely. Yes, it's underpowered compared to ^. Yes, the keyboard takes some getting used to. But - the fact that it weighs ...NOTHING.. has made it completely different for me for travelling. I love it. It weighs as much as my paper notebook. It's crazy.

If you're just doing e-mail, word docs, surfing web, etc. - I think you should consider it. If you're doing anything processor-intensive - yes - get 13" mbp.

14. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

Hi Bilal, go for the rMB - it's design and screen is AMAZING :) Follow your heart!
    I have friends that use Final Cut Pro X to edit 4K video in it and it's capable of that. If you've a 15" rMBP, then you've the best of both worlds with the rBK too. I want one (1.2 512gb) BUT i'm waiting for the update next year and a price drop!

15. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Uh, oh. Okaaay??
    Wait, what? Oh no no no no, you have every use for a rMB and absolutely no reason to own a rMBP. You're not a Pro user as you've described yourself.
    Sell the rMBP and buy a rMB for no additional money, problem solved.

16. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

really? .. no difference between the 13 and 15 Retina MBPs? .. surely, the 13 incher must weigh lesser .. I know the design is similar .. but if you're telling me that there's "no difference", then it would be boring to get the 13 rMBP ..

17. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

thanks for the "follow your heart" advice, Paul .. :)

money is not the issue .. so I don't need to wait for a price drop ..

but what sort of an update do you think it'll get? .. and this will be md 2016?

18. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

thanks for the reply Gudi .. no, I am not what you would call a "pro user" at all .. I only need it for the web, really ..

the reason I have the 15 incher is that this is my desktop replacement machine .. I like large roomy screens .. so that's why I have it ..

so everyone seems to be in favor of me getting the rMB .. I'll go down to the shop tomorrow and have another look ..

19. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

Hi Bilal,
    I'm thinking that the second version of a brand new Apple design is always an improvement. Problems will of been sorted - battery issues plus SkyLake will make it a little faster.
    Who knows. I'm thinking £100 cheaper. March/April no doubt will be the refresh!

20. mdbradigan macrumors member

mdbradigan

no, I don't mean that there is "no" difference. I just mean that the difference is not very great - i.e. - you're not "gaining" much by having both, in my opinion. The 15" mpb is a fantastic machine, beautiful screen real estate, extremely powerful. The 13" mbp is just like the above, but 2" smaller. It's a fantastic machine - smaller and lighter than the 15" - but the question is - why have both. IMO - rather than have both, you would be better served having the 13" as your main machine and then have an external monitor or two to dock it to when you're home. If, on the other hand, the goal is to have one badass "full-sized" laptop, and one svelte travelling one - then this need is much better served by the rMb. Just my opinion. I think the 13" MBP is a fantastic computer.. I just don't really see why you'd want both the 15 & 13.

21. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

Very true! Then again, I wouldn't want more than one computer anyway.

22. Sunil_k macrumors newbie

Sunil_k

Hi Bilal, im in the same boat too.

The local apple shop finally got their rMB stocks afyer months of it not being available and now they are advertising a price increase of ₹10k lol

Insane!

Btt: im torn whether to buy it now or wait for another 6mos for the refresh

23. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

Bought the lowest MacBook as a secondary laptop to my fully loaded 15" MBP. Pretty happy with it so far! No regrets.

24. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

First, there is zero indication that there will be a refresh in 6 months, could be a year away or more.

Next, there isn't anything the RMB can't do for typical usecases so waiting won't get you anywhere on the performance side.

BJ

25. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The very best feature of the RMB is that it is the perfect Travel notebook. It's so light you don't even know its there, you can carry it on your back in a backpack all day without any fatigue.

Best of all, it passes through airport scanners as an iPad, you don't need to pull it out as you go through security.

If Travel is your primary objective, the RMB is a no-brainer. I just returned from two weeks in Japan, Hong Kong, and China and the thing is a champ, fantastic battery life, ridiculous light weight, crystal clear display, evenly backlit keyboard, fits in any room safe, it's unbelievable.

BJ