Should I have not bought Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by weblogik, Mar 17, 2008.

1. weblogik macrumors regular

Today i kind of made an online impulse buy and bought from apple site a 500gig Time Capsule;
    The reason I bought it is that right now i have a Macbook Pro that is online wirelessly quite a bit, and most of my files are on external hard drives plugged into a windows machine on the network. Accessing these files is PAINSTAKINGLY slow i usually have to go down stairs , plug in and get files while wired. So i wanted a network drive assuming that Time Capsule would make accessing files on its drive or an attached external much quicker then now.

I should mention i have a Belkin "N" router, that is EXTREMELY fast when web browsing ONLY WITH NO SECURITY features turned on; it does NOT work with WPA, it only works with WEP and it cuts performance by at least a half. I do not like my signal all over the neighborhood so i figured an apple router would work flawlessly with my macbook pro...

But now im reading that there are performance issues and it's the first time i have heard of this

I want to basically hook up my current 500gig ext hard drive to Time Capsule, use the external hd for Time machine and and Time capsule HD for Client files and Media... Does this sound right? or does Time machine have to backup to the hd on time capsule directly?

Is there a better way to get a network drive with no access speed issues?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Same here. What exactly did you read and where?

3. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You never actually said what issues (if any) you are having with your Time Capsule.

5. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have it yet actually i just canceled my order until i research it more...
    My biggest question is performance issue, if there are any...

I dont necessarily need wireless time machine, i plug in to my external hard drive at least once a day, my problem is that my current Belkin is not a perfect fit for my mac, with the problems i mentioned above when security is turned on...

If i could access an external hard drive on a wireless network with a fast connection my problems would be solved, does this sound right:
    What if i buy the new Airport Express N and plug it into my Belkin wireless router , using the Airports signal for my macbook pro?
    Can i plug in my external hard drive to the Airport Express?

if this worked it might be easier and cheaper for me

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Not an Express, but the Airport Extreme Base Station will be required if you want to hang an external drive off the router. Take that plan one step further: ditch the Belkin router and just replace it with the AEBS. Airport disks are fast enough for casual browsing via wireless. I would select a drive enclosure that also supports FW800 (or eSATA if you're willing to buy an expresscard eSATA card for your MBP) so that you can connect the drive directly if fast and/or heavy access is required.

The performance numbers for Time Capsule that I'm seeing on Cnet (for example) aren't too encouraging. I was initially interested in the product, but I'm having doubts. Its primary feature is wireless time machine backups. That isn't compelling enough to justify spending $300+ on the product.