Should I include the sim when I sell my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StevenT42, Jun 20, 2010.

1. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if I should include or keep the sim when I sell my original iPhone and iPhone 3G? If it should be included, is there any way to ensure that all private data is removed from it?

Thanks!

- Steve

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

I'm not going to when I sell mine.. Sim cards are easy to come by so I don't see how that would cause a problem.

3. bahooki macrumors regular

4. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

5. StevenT42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, everyone. I figured I shouldn't.

- Steve

6. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

yeah def do not include it & u'll be fine

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Um, curious, why? If I have my new phone activated and I erased the old phone, how would they use the sim to make me pay for the phone?

Just asking cause I honestly don't know how that all works.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't what is wrong with people in this forum, but I agree with your idea. After all we live in America, it's the country with people of complete honesty and trust. Even if you gave them active sim, they would not use it. You can always trust strangers. I don't see why giving away your sim is a problem. You are going to trash it anyway.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Um, or you could actually be helpful and explain how/why some one could use the sim card to steal from you. It might actually be possible I have no clue how that works and was just curious cause I'd like to know like I stated in my last sentence.

10. BrandonJay21 macrumors member

The SIM card holds your personal information (such as your phone number). It's specifically for YOU. That's how you can take your sim, and simply pop it into another phone to use.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I knew that but I figured if they activate another sim the old sim is useless (like if it tries to send info from that AT&T would just reject it as it is looking for info from the new sim). Or can you actually have two sims with your info and use two phones at once with the same phone number? I would have thought the sim card would also have some sort of info identifying it so that you wouldn't have issues with two phones trying to be the same number?

Also, are they rewritable/erasable? I know one of my sim cards I was able to transfer my contacts from one phone to the next so I kinda assumed they were kinda like SD cards in how they worked.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I could not think of a dumber question. Do you have your PIN written with a sharpie on your ATM card?