Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am using Apple Mail, Mail frequently "times out", winding up in my draft or outbox. This is particularly the case with email with attachments.

Should I increase my connection speed from the cable company?

Is this a function of Apple Mail>
Would I do better with the new Outlook for the Mac?
Will the Outlook Email client synch with my iphone and Mac via Mobile me? If so how?

Thanks

jay

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi

I am using Apple Mail, Mail frequently "times out", winding up in my draft or outbox. This is particularly the case with email with attachments.

Should I increase my connection speed from the cable company?

Is this a function of Apple Mail>
Would I do better with the new Outlook for the Mac?
Will the Outlook Email client synch with my iphone and Mac via Mobile me? If so how?

Thanks

jay

Please quote specifics, like how large the attachments are, what your current download and upload speeds are (speedtest.net) etc..

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
The Download speed is 1.5MB. The upload speed si 0.38. The attachments are about 5MB

jay

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
These are my speeds

I haven't had any problems, and my speeds aren't much different from yours. Keep in mind this is on Wireless G. I'm sure these speeds are faster when on ethernet.

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
These are my speeds

I haven't had any problems, and my speeds aren't much different from yours. Keep in mind this is on Wireless G. I'm sure these speeds are faster when on ethernet.

1.5mb and .38? Seems like there is a major speed difference unless I am missing something

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
1.5 MB down? Who is your ISP and what city are you in, closest major would work so as to not invade your privacy. :)

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Halt!

Everyone is going in the Wrong Direction.

I am currently with RCN and I am only paying for 1.5 MB upload. I am getting what I pay for in terms of download and upload speeds, but my emails repeatedly time out. If they do not get sent quickly, they wind up either in my outbox or my draft box on the Mac.

Do I need a faster connection and will this solve the problem?

Plain and Simple.

Jay

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Oops

I currently have 1.5 mbs download and 300 kbs upload. My questions still remain.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I don't think it will help

My speeds are 7MB down and 1MB up. This happens to me as well in mail. For me it's not so much due to attachment size as it is the length of time it takes to compose and type the email.
Which is how it's supposed to work, I think.
If you just send a large test attachment without spending the time to write an email, does it still time out when trying to send it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.