Should I increase my Internet connection Speed? Trouble with Attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaybar, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I am using Apple Mail, Mail frequently "times out", winding up in my draft or outbox. This is particularly the case with email with attachments.

Should I increase my connection speed from the cable company?

Is this a function of Apple Mail>
    Would I do better with the new Outlook for the Mac?
    Will the Outlook Email client synch with my iphone and Mac via Mobile me? If so how?

Thanks

jay

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could test your internet connection speed with a service like www.speedtest.net and post it here first.
    You could also specify what kind of network setup you have at home and what devices and connections it includes and what Mac and Mac OS X version you use.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Please quote specifics, like how large the attachments are, what your current download and upload speeds are (speedtest.net) etc..

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

The Download speed is 1.5MB. The upload speed si 0.38. The attachments are about 5MB

jay

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

These are my speeds

[​IMG]

I haven't had any problems, and my speeds aren't much different from yours. Keep in mind this is on Wireless G. I'm sure these speeds are faster when on ethernet.

6. Flyinb macrumors member

1.5mb and .38? Seems like there is a major speed difference unless I am missing something

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Whops, you are right. I thought the speed test was coming to 1.5MB but it looks like that was something else.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

1.5 MB down? Who is your ISP and what city are you in, closest major would work so as to not invade your privacy. :)

9. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

Halt!

Everyone is going in the Wrong Direction.

I am currently with RCN and I am only paying for 1.5 MB upload. I am getting what I pay for in terms of download and upload speeds, but my emails repeatedly time out. If they do not get sent quickly, they wind up either in my outbox or my draft box on the Mac.

Do I need a faster connection and will this solve the problem?

Plain and Simple.

Jay

10. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

Oops

I currently have 1.5 mbs download and 300 kbs upload. My questions still remain.

11. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I don't think it will help

My speeds are 7MB down and 1MB up. This happens to me as well in mail. For me it's not so much due to attachment size as it is the length of time it takes to compose and type the email.
    Which is how it's supposed to work, I think.
    If you just send a large test attachment without spending the time to write an email, does it still time out when trying to send it?

12. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar