Should I Jail Break?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by planetoftheduck, Dec 30, 2007.

1. planetoftheduck macrumors newbie

Should I Jail Break now or should I wait for the chance of an sdk from macworld?:apple:

2. dagored macrumors 65816

If you have to ask, you are really not into it. Those that have hacked, wanted the new features and use them.

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

In fact you should've done it before you got the iPod!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right on. If the Touch does what you want out of the box, leave it alone.

6. planetoftheduck thread starter macrumors newbie

I want features!

See I waant new features though because its driving me crazy how i can't write notes or get my mail easily, but im not sure I want to hack it because the sdk sounds a safer wait, if I hack it could I remove the hack by reseting the touch?

7. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

For $400 bucks I am waiting. I am patient. my iphone will catch up in 2008 and meanwhile I don't have to worry about each upgrade like its the end of the world.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Restoring, yes.

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Why the heck not?

Having all the iPhone apps, plus the ability to install other ones? Dang.

Jailbreaking has turned the iPod touch into a PDA for me. All I ever wanted in a PDA was the ability to send/receive email and to listen to music. The very first thing I did with my touch was to jailbreak it.

When the SDK comes out, you can easily lock up the touch again and install the newer firmware. It's really a no-lose situation.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've seen a few stories on these boards about bricked Touches, so it sounds like hacking isn't quite such a no-lose situation. Buying a Touch for what it does now seems like the safest route.

11. Protosome macrumors newbie

You should hack that sucker asap. I couldn't imagine the touch without all of the apps provided by hacking. Hell, iPhysics alone is worth it, its a great way to dazzle people who were otherwise done being enchanted by the splendor of the iPhone.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

13. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

It all depends what you want to do with it. If you really want mail and stuff like you said before, definitely jailbreak it. It's absolutely worth it. I did mine yesterday and I have like 15 new apps. Best decision I made.

14. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I had jailbroke mine twice, once with the 1.1.1, then I restored it, then I did it again when I updated to 1.1.2. Its definitely safe unless you mess with the hardware.

15. caubeck macrumors 6502

Do it only if you want a bruise on your leg. You'll kick yourself for not having done it sooner.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which proves nothing. I've read many tales of woe from jailbreakers on these boards, enough to give me pause. I don't have a problem with people hacking their iPods, I just don't approve of people telling others that there's absolutely no risk -- because this they cannot know, and even more to the point, they are gambling with other people's money. That's not nice IMO.

In balancing the risk, I'd have people think about whether they are prepared to choose between upgrading to Apple's latest Touch software, and the supported software developed with the SDK coming out next month, or their jailbreak software. I bought the Touch for what it can do now. For my money, I'm patient enough to wait another month or so for supported software.

17. David B. macrumors newbie

Sdk?

Maybe i kinda got this wrong, but isn't the sdk just a possibility for people to make apps for the ipod. if this is true, then it will take a while for the people to make apps once the sdk is here right ?

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, a little while -- but not very long, I'd guess. Developers are already being seeded with early versions of the SDK. So what's going to happen to all the hack-based software, once the legitimately developed software starts coming out? I think we're looking at a fork in the road, one path of which leads to a dead end.

19. GeoffShoulders macrumors newbie

No problems here!

Got an 8gb touch for Christmas with 1.1.2. Rverted it to 1.1.1 and Jailbroke it bak up to 1.1.2 the next day. Really easy and I've had no problems since. Getting email on it was the main reason and works perfectly. :)

20. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Where are these threads about Bricked iPod because of jailbreaking. I have seen none that can't be solved with a simple restore.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A "simple" restore can take hours, if you're actually using the iPod for anything. If this is your idea of a good time, then by all means, have at it. Keeping in mind of course that you may well have to repeat the procedure every time Apple updates the software.

22. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, you could decide that Apple's never going to give you more functionality, or fix any bugs.

24. hecks macrumors regular

Well we'll have to see how the SDK can/will work alongside jailbreaking. Then the 'fork in the road' might be: pay for your Apple-approved apps (hopefully not at extortionate rates), or continue with free or shareware alternatives developed with the same SDK tools. Hardly a dead end - as evidenced by the enormous communities of open source developers for other mobile OS's. Probably the two can live side by side quite happily, as with WM6. Who knows.

There's also the issue that Apple is just never going to approve certain types of app: games emulators, apps that replicate its own offerings, or the iPhone apps, etc.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Once the SDK is out, I don't see Apple having any approval rights over the types of software developed for the iPhone/Touch platform, any more than they have these rights for the Mac. How could they? The entire difference should be whether the software is developed properly or as a hack. Once the APIs are are out in the open, and developers can program without hacking, I think the hack application market will dry up, as it will no longer have a purpose.