Should I jailbreak the new iTouch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pectin232, Sep 16, 2008.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

Seems like a lot of people are having problems after jailbreaking their new iTouch 2G. Should I do it a well or wait for a newer one with a GUI? Will Jailbreaking make the Nike application to stop working or any of the new 2G features to stop intermittently like installing new applications from the App Store? do advise. Thanks

2. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

It's an iPod Touch so there will be practically no problems at all, Nike will still work and 2.1 is fine.

Here's a guide - http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/jailbreak-ipod-touch-21.html

3. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

There is no jailbreak out yet for the new 2nd Generation iPod Touches.

In fact, the team that releases the jailbreak tools just got their shipment of new 2nd Gen Touches yesterday, so it may be a little while before we see jailbreaking. I'm constantly checking the blog of their site to see how they're coming along with the new tool... http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4. BennyK macrumors 6502

What can you do when it is jailbroken? With the app store, do you gain anything besides playing Nintendo games? I really want to know the benefits of jailbreaking as I would try it if I knew what I would gain.

Thanks!

5. HeartCooksBrain macrumors newbie

Should I?

I was wondering the exact same thing -- should I jailbreak my 2g Touch? All I really want is a custom theme rather than apples generic theme. Must I jailbreak it to get this?

6. njguyfla macrumors member

Don't do it till your warranty is about to expire.

7. Jibblejab macrumors newbie

Question

My Ipod Touch is full of my music, applications and films when i jailbreak it will all of those be wiped and will i have to re-install it all again?

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

To all iPod Touch 2G owners: You can't jailbreak your ipod. Sorry, it's the truth. But there are people working on it.

If you do eventually jailbreak and iPod/iPhone, you don't lose anything. iTunes recognizes it normally and syncs all the apple stuff, whereas cydia/installer apps are not seen by iTunes and not backed up.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

don;t do it till your warranty expires? ok what? if something is wrong and needs to go back you can easily restore to official firmware and oh look it's like nothing happend. So you see as long as you take it to apple with the official firmware on after jailbreaking it's still in warranty as apple are non the wiser.

but yeh cant jailbreak 2nd gen iPod anyway

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If I owned a touch I wouldn't jailbreak. It's pretty good the way it is and hacks are always screwy.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

You can't restore it if it just completely dies like mine did. I also couldn't send it in for warranty service anyway since I couldn't wipe it first.

13. hotwater10 macrumors member

hotwater10

14. kblessinggr macrumors member

15. kblessinggr macrumors member

Which sounds like someone who has never jailbroken :D

16. Surely Guest

Surely

You would gain customizable theming, status notification of emails, etc. in the status bar and on the lock screen, game emulators, an easier way to toggle settings.

Yes, you do need to jailbreak to gain this. However, there is no jailbreak for the 2G Touch yet.

It has nothing to do with warranty. If you jailbreak, and you need to bring your Touch into Apple for repair, you can easily restore it back to it's unjailbroken form before you bring it in, and Apple will have no idea that it was ever jailbroken.

No, you would not have to reinstall all of that. It would not affect any of your music, apps, etc.

17. kblessinggr macrumors member

To go further on this.

PwnageTool method : Wipes the iPod clean, so you'd have to retransfer everything.
    QuickPwn Method : Jailbreaks without affecting any of the current files.

why someone would want to use the first method is so they can customize the jailbreaking process.

18. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Makes sense. Just hasn't been done probably because of the app store and that it would have to be reworked. Not enough interest in it I suppose.

I'm not a fan of Apple's closed platform with it. I don't even trust that they actually properly screen stuff, given the stuff they let through and then pull. Supposedly there are apps that pull personal data off your device-and you have no real way of knowing, no way of getting to the guts of the system, and...well I just like the PC model much, much better.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Then why can the first-gen iPhone, second-gen iPhone, and first-gen iPod touch be jailbroken after software 2.0?

20. kblessinggr macrumors member

Actually the folks doing it explained why they didn't bother, first off the hardware is different from the iphone and ipod touch. (before the 2nd gen, the chip on both the iPhone and iPod touch were identical so jailbreaking either was relatively easy once they've done it once).

The app store has nothing to do with it, other than lack of interest from a number of users would normally be queasy about modifying their iPods in the first place.

the iPhone-Dev team is more interested in getting a soft unlock done for the iPhone 3G than anything else right now.

Basically if it were possible right now, you bet someone would have already got it out a few weeks after it came out. They'll likely need to figure it out anyways, since the next iPhone will likely run off the same microprocessor as the 2nd gen iPod Touch.

21. kblessinggr macrumors member

Because all three devices share the same microprocessor and same firmware/software.

in terms of app store, I'm sure he was talking bout lack of interest from those who would download.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He said the App Store was to blame for the inability to jailbreak, though. :rolleyes:

23. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

No, I meant the combination of the app store and the new hardware. It would have meant more work than it was worth to them (plus they may have no interest in the touch).

Someone with a touch would have to be interested enough and have the technical skill to do it.

Actually this is why I think there's still room for someone-maybe Microsoft, maybe Google, maybe Palm-to come in with a modern easy to use OS that's not locked down and smack Apple around.

Microsoft has shown an amazing incompetence with their mobile OSes. Actually the mini-notebook style WinCE wasn't too bad 10+ years ago. Worked similarly to Windows 95. But the Palm OS style OS is just a joke and always has been. It's like they've got two people locked in a room working on it or something...hard to believe the same company that makes Windows XP and Vista and Office can make Windows Mobile... but maybe they've just always been banking on eventually running full blown Windows on a mobile device.

If Asus started selling a 7" tablet style PC for $250-400ish...basically just a modification of the netbook...that might work for me. Realistically it's not quite there though (and was probably over half a decade away minimum when Microsoft first started hinting at that...)

24. kblessinggr macrumors member

Well since jailbreaking doesn't rely on the app store (which has been available for both the iPhone and iPod touch since 2.0 came out), I don't see how the app store would impede the process any.

There's two main obsticles when trying to get a device jailbroken. The physical hardware preventions, and the firmware itself. Especially since the major player in jailbreaking (iPhone-Dev team) opt to use a non-invasive method if jailbreaking. It's a tad harder to jailbreak something while maintaining complete compatibility. (and Cydia won't feature a program that doesn't take the safe approach).

The folks at the iPhone-Dev team are plenty interested because it may be the same setup the new iPhone has. But as they said on their site, they're far more interested in getting the iPhone 3G working with other carriers.

If App Store and lack of interest were to be blamed, then the 1st gen iPod Touch with firmware 2.0+ would not have been jailbroken. And there's already of ton of people in various places jumping up and down for a 2nd gen fix, so you can bet there's a demand for it. (funny enough some people demanding it don't even know what jailbreaking is, they just think its only a way of getting games from the app store without paying for them).

25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It has nothing to do with the app store from a technical perspective. It removes one of the reasons people would want to take the time to hack it.