Should I Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mustang3115, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mustang3115 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been really happy with the 3G so far, but recently i have wanted to experience the Jail breaking scene. But for some reason i cant seem to pull the trigger. It doesn't seem all that hard, but the thing that i'm worried about is potential harm to the software and or hardware. Is there really a possibility of that? Any advice is appreciated!

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

In general, Jailbreaking is safe. More specifically, if something goes wrong or you are not happy with the results, you can always restore your iPhone to its original state. I was apprehensive at first as well but took the leap and did it. I'm very happy with the results (great apps not available in the app store, custom themes, sounds, etc.) and can't really see myself going back.

Good luck!

3. polopimpboy macrumors newbie

Ive jailbroken a couple times. But every time I end up restoring because it just isnt worth it

4. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Yeah same here. Been going back and forth thinking there is something in Cydia that I needed (Call Blocking, Youtube Video Downloads, Mail search, game emulators). Though there are some highlights, overall I always end up restoring back. I am thinking this time of staying JB until i come across an issue before I go back.

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I went from being completely apprehensive about jailbreaking, and unwilling to do it, to jailbreaking my phone in the span of a day. I still to this day, can't pinpoint exactly what it was that changed my mind, but now that I am at this point, I will continue to remain jailbroken with future updates. :)

I was among the first at work to have an iPhone, and then everyone else started getting them.

I was the first to jailbreak, which again differentiated me from the crowd. Now though, there are four of us that are jailbroken.

If it spreads to the rest of them, I really don't know what it will take to differentiate again, not that I honestly care about that. Actually, I've gone from being completely against jailbreaking, to vocally advocating it! :)

6. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking is 100% safe.

Jailbreaking is 100% reversable.

Jailbreaking leading to "bricking" is 100% a myth.

Try it out and enjoy the added bonuses (EG Winterboard) to make your iPhone experience all the better.

There are absolutely no advantages in not jailbreaking.

Heed these words,

Doobs :)

7. csrx macrumors member

8. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking does brick some phones it almost happened to me but luckily I fixed it, also if it gets bricked all wont do anything because they told you that it voids your warranty.

Same with me it just doesn't feel right, so i stay non-jailbroken theres barely any point anymore because of the app store, and the customization with the background didn't really appeal me so i would recommend not jailbreaking your iPhone 3G its a marvelous device all ready.

9. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I love my 'jailbroken' iPhone 3G. I love Winterboard, it allows you to customize your iPhone to make it unique. I wonder what the next iPhone will be?

10. kannesss macrumors 6502a

i have been really considering jailbreaking my iphone.

im just scared it will **** up my phone then i will just be this guy with a broken ass iphone..
    one of my friends jail broke his iphone and i love messing with his when i get the chance but i just dont know if i should do it to my phone...

so, against my better judgment, i leave it to u...

should i or should i not jail break my iphone 3g?

11. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Got a link for that? By the way, the definition of "bricked" is that it is made completely useless, beyond repair.

12. mustang3115 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input guys

Ive decided to give it a go. What's the worst that can happen right? Well i was also wondering about this warranty issue. It's only voided if apple or ATT catches you correct? since there is know way of knowing the phone is jailbroken without physically seeing it right?

13. Chef-Jer macrumors member

Unless you show them your jailbroken phone they won't know. I've exchanged 2 jailbroken 3g's due to cracking with no issues. Just do a restore from DFU mode and erase all data and settings for good measure before returning it if you ever need to.

14. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

some of the apps/customization were cool... like an okay video game that u rent for a week then take back. i keep mine stock now, more stability.

15. kannesss macrumors 6502a

i was just jail breaking my phone, and i messed up by hitting the restore button on ituunes at the end, instead of holding down option and hitting it...stupid stupid decision. but its all good its restoring back to normal, then ill just jailbreak it again, and it should work fine....right?

16. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, nothing bad happened

17. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yep. The beauty of Jailbreaking is that, if you mess up or don't like it, you can always restore back to factory settings.

18. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Uncheck the box to modify your boot logo. If it ever gets stuck at that screen, you're screwed. Jailbreaking it wouldn't cause that to happen, but if you happen to have a defective unit, that happens to freeze on that screen, as some have done, it is an automatic void of your warranty.

19. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Also, if you don't QuickPwn, right click (Option[?] click on a Mac), on your iPhone's icon in iTunes, and restore from back-up.

Of course, you should sync and back-up before you jailbreak as well. ;)

20. kannesss macrumors 6502a

ok i have been having a slight problem.

ive gotten to the part on pwnage tool where it says restart itunes and all that then i option>click on restore and it starts to do the extracting iphone thing on the jailbroken package that im using to restore it, then it says unknown error and it wont jailbreak it...it just stops there, i can restore it back to factory or whatever, so i know its not the phone,,,what am i doing wrong? any suggestions or different ways...please!!

21. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Just use QuickPwn. PwnageTool can be a picky bitch sometimes. ;)

22. kannesss macrumors 6502a

23. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I was jailbroken for about a month, but ended up restoring back to stock because the lag become unbearable.

24. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Yes, quickpwn is available for Mac.

25. kannesss macrumors 6502a

will pwnage tool work eventually? i was reading reviews from quickpwn and it seems it messes up peoples phones sometimes,...and i dont wanna take the chance...any other advice on how to jailbreak safley or safer?