Should I just buy one now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thecoolone1, Feb 10, 2010.

  1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

    Apr 13, 2009
    I've never owned a MacBook before and I was considering getting just a 13' MacBook Pro, the base model or the 2.53GHz model. I already own a iMac so if I get the MacBook Pro, I'll only be using it for just the basics such as web browsing, word processing, youtube, hulu, and probably a few movies from time to time. I will not be doing any photo or video editing on this.

    My question is, with what I'm going to do with it and the MacBook Pro I'm considering (13 inch model), is it even worth it to wait for the new ones? Do you think the design will change or stay the same? Do you think there will even be a drastic spec bump on the 13' models? This will only be used for personal home use to do basic things as mentioned above.

    I'm just looking for opinions! Thanks.
  2. .agency macrumors newbie

    Feb 10, 2010
    Probably not, but irrationally or not most people would feel remorse when the same amount of money they spent on this model would buy a better version (even if they won't use the better specs) in a week or two.

    In short:
    The brain says buy one now, the gut says "any day now..."
  3. maelstromr macrumors 6502


    Aug 8, 2002
    Charlottesville, VA
    Before you get burnt to death, I would suggest reading some of the LOOOONG threads on this or similar issues. Beyond that, it seems to me that you don't even need a pro model if that is all you want to do with it. You certainly are not going to need the latest and greatest speed demon. From what I've been reading, I don't think many people expect huge design changes, mostly (mostly) under the hood stuff.

    Of course, it's all based on what you can afford and want. It is fun to have speed demons... :D
  4. Winters macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2010
    I think we should recommend everyone to buy mbp now so that they have empty stock and need to release something new earlier :p
  5. pitotorP macrumors newbie

    Jan 20, 2010
    I've never had too. Bought 15" 2.66 yesterday. I need a laptop for studying. Feels good)
  6. hypermog macrumors regular

    Nov 17, 2009
    Since you already own a mac, you can probably hold off until the new models are released.
  7. bluefox9er macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2010

    just wait...they will announce it then make you wait 6-8 months before they make it available.
  8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Jul 12, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Usually they announce them when they are ready to ship them
  9. mattgoldey macrumors member

    Jan 19, 2010
    Rowlett, TX
    If that's all you're going to do, why spend the extra money on the Pro? Why not just get a MacBook?
  10. Peter95 macrumors member

    Jan 27, 2010
    Sorry for being off-topic, but I don't want to make another thread on it....

    If someone buys the current MBP, how long will they be good for?
    I read some guys here that their current MBP's are getting slower....
  11. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

    Feb 6, 2010
    why are you getting a macbook pro?

    the regular white macbook just got updated recently and i think you should go for that one instead.

    its cheaper and does everything you want!

    if you absolutely MUST get a macbook PRO, then i suggest you definitely wait it out. you will feel much much better about yourself and have a higher self-esteem. seriously.

    buying something on the verge of a new product release is dumb! we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO close to a new MBP update. Its so close, i can taste it.
  12. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Jul 12, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Expect the current MBP line to lose 30% of their performance the moment the new ones are announced...

    Jokes aside, if you just browse, chat, watch movies etc you're good for several years. If you do tasks that require a lot of power, well no computer is too powerful.

    I don't expcet software to get much more demanding in the next couple of years. In fact with the complete switch to 64bit, the cloud and the low cost laptops that have flooded the PC market, programmers seem to care more about writing efficient code that runs well even in not-so-fast machines.
  13. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

    Feb 6, 2010
    Also, waiting for a new one ensure you will get MUCH better resale value when you sell it later.
  14. Habitus macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2009
    Where ever my life takes me...
    There's no reason to wait; your needs are clearly met by the current MBP. Also, you could opt for an MBA or MB, too. If money is of no concern, the MBA is tempting; its portability and ability to wirelessly sync with your iMac.

    Food for thought,

    Habitus :apple:
  15. ozreth macrumors 65816


    Nov 5, 2009
    If you want to get your moneys worth you should wait for the update. AT LEAST wait until tuesday comes around next week, youd be cheating yourself not to. Think of it this way. If you buy it today, youll go home, install everything and set it up the way you want. Then if/when the new one comes out next week you will still be eligable to exhcnage for the new one, and you know you will, then youll just have to reformat that one and whatnot. Just wait, the general consensus around here was either this past tuesday or next tuesday. So just give it another week.
  16. Hellishness macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    im in the same boat as the OP (except i only have PCs). i prolly need less power than the OP. i would buy a MBP over the MB simply because of the looks. i think that the MB just looks cheap and plasticy (and TBH kinda girly). i want the aluminum, black keys, backlit...
  17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
    You can get used/years old Mac that can do that now. Only reason to wait is if you need to power or if you want to get the best value for dollar of a "new" machine.
  18. Gomff macrumors 6502a

    Sep 17, 2009
  19. Thiol macrumors 6502a


    Jan 26, 2008
    I agree with everyone who suggests just getting a MacBook or MBAir for the uses you mentioned...
  20. brendu macrumors 68020

    Apr 23, 2009
    oh who cares anymore.. if you want it, just buy it... for your needs you wont notice a difference
  21. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 13, 2009
    I just want to say Thank You for all of those who gave me their opinions!

    I went ahead and made a purchase tonight and should get it early next week!

    I didn't want to go with the white MacBook because I love the build quality on the MacBook Pros with the aluminum unibody and I love the backlit keyboard :D

    I can't believe at one point I was going to buy a netbook (pc) :rolleyes:...
  22. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

    Nov 8, 2007
    If those are your only needs and Hulu does indeed make an app, the iPad might be right for you. Unless you need a physical keyboard all that time.
  23. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Dec 28, 2009
    Wait, It'll Keep You Sane

    I've been burned 3 times, and finally learned my lesson. Wait till the update, you won't have any regrets that way, and you can relax and enjoy your new Mac. If I had waited 2 more months, I'd be typing this on a new 27" iMac, for the same price as my 24." More RAM, bigger hard drive, etc.
  24. manymanyfish macrumors newbie

    Dec 18, 2009

    Just wait a few months for the iPad. It will be able to do everything you want plus more and has a way better user interface. Plus it'll cost way less than a macbook or macbook pro.
  25. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

    Dec 22, 2008
    Youngstown, OH
    Ha i was thinking the same thing! The iPad seems like the perfect companion for an iMac owner :apple:

    You'll be very happy with your 13" MBP though...I have the same one and it's an amazing little machine. I can't image upgrading for at least a couple of years yet.

Share This Page