Should I just get a 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mikhailov, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #1
    I know the refreshes are only a couple of weeks away, but I'm a little weary of SB (with stories of overheating), don't really know what Thunderbolt is, and am unsure if I want to go two weeks without a computer as I no longer have my 2010 MBP C2D. Also I'm weary of the Intel 3000.

    Still, I wouldn't mind having a brand new refresh model to play with. I'm looking to get the 13" with 4GB ram, and I would be kind of upset if I went 2010 and the new models were just that good. I'm going to do daily tasks (Web, email, iWork, and light Windows 7 gaming...STO on recommended or lower settings when I get the itch). I also need a work program that is windows only, so I will relegate 30GB of my precious 120 usable GB to Win 7.

    Current 2010 MBA owners: Are you updating, or do you feel the 2010 is still awesome with a refresh so soon? Am I crazy for not wanting to wait for the newest model?
     
  2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    #2
    Noooo you are not crazy! With the things you listed the current model would be just fine AND you will save alot of money! Today there are so many MBA on the market at CL so check them out!
     
  3. Vazkor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    #3
    You are crazy. After the update you will save money.
     
  4. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #4
    Well I would probably still buy from the Apple Store just to get the absolute most time out of the Warranty.
     
  5. The Mad Mule, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

    The Mad Mule macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #5
    Honesty, it doesn't look like you need to go through the hassle of getting the latest refresh. You won't benefit from the i5/i7 unless you do some medium-to-heavy video encoding work.

    To me, the 2011 model should only be considered for:

    1.) those who don't have a MBP yet
    2.) those who constantly use their laptops for video encoding

    EDIT: Sheet, I thought I was on the MBP forum when I typed this up.
     
  6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
    #6
    -wait for newer model...then buy model out now at refurb store for big $$$ savings

    -in the mean time you need a computer....bb allows you to return within 14 day no questions asked ;-)
     
  7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

    leftywamumonkey

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #7
    Wait for the new model, see what it offers and if you don't like it, save even more money by buying the further discounted refurbished 2010. Who knows, you may even get a "brand new" refurb that was sent back.

    Buying when were this close without seeing what the new ones can offer is really crazy.
     
  8. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #8
    I agree...it is crazy.

    Regarding getting a refurb: I want to do education pricing and the Back to School promotion. A refurb really isn't an option for me.

    Thanks for the input. I have insomnia so keep the advice opinions coming.

    2010 owners: are you considering going to the 2011, or are you keeping your 2010?
     
  9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #9
    I don't have one... yet.

    I'm wondering a similar thing. There are some pretty cheap options on the refurb store just now, the thing putting me off is that I want the 11", but I don't want 5 hour battery life, it seems a little short for my liking.

    If there's a bump in that respect I'll probably get the new model, otherwise it looks like a 13 pro might be on the cards.
     
  10. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #10
    The problem I'm having is I want the Back 2 School promotion, so if I don't like the new ones, I'm stuck with it.
     
  11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    #11
    My problem is wanting to use the 10% student discount from apples online website. And once the 2011 version is released they won't sell the 2010 one anymore. And stores will most likely not lower prices by much and might be out of stock. This means I might not be able to get the 2010 version once the 2011 is released.
     
  12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #12
    You'll be able to get the 2010 models in the refurb store, new, but not sellable on the shop floor due to models having been released. Although your student discount will not apply and nor will the BTS.

    Are you UK or US? If you're in the UK you're better off waiting for new ones as you get a 3 year higher education warranty free with purchases from the UK online education store, plus your BTS voucher. Overall, given the freebies and warranty, a refurb is likely to work out more expensive.
     
  13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    #13

    I am in Sweden, our problem is we have no refurb store here. So my choice is buying it before the 2011 release with 10% student discount and the BTS offer or hope a brick and mortar Apple reseller have the 2010 in stock and at a discount (unlikely). Another thing is waiting and hoping the 2011 one will have a GPU that closely matches the 320m (highly unlikely).

    Sweden sucks when wanting Apple stuff (no real Apple Stores or refurbs).
     
  14. s2dio macrumors regular

    s2dio

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2010
    Location:
    Riga, Latvia
    #14
    I bought my ultimate 2010 MBA 13" in November in Singapore (it came out ~$600 cheaper than in my home country and some other European countries), and though I probably could sell it for the same price I bought it ($2000), I would not like to go through the hassle of meeting with people, taking a risk of being given counterfeit money or other risks, and don't want to sell it through eBay or any similar service.

    I'm completely satisfied with this machine, and don't expect the next MBA to be a lot better – I consider it a minor refresh just to keep up with time and progress. So I'm keeping mine for another couple of years until something completely new will come out and I could pass my MBA to family members and buy the next one.

    Considering your situation, I would definitely wait for the refresh and then see what will the next MBA look like. I would check the reviews and benchmarks to see how it differs with the current model, because obviously it will be the main question of interest for most people. Then decide whether it's worth buying a new one or the the refurbished C2D.

    Good luck with your future Mac!
     
  15. s2dio macrumors regular

    s2dio

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2010
    Location:
    Riga, Latvia
    #15
    Same thing with Latvia. No refurbs, no geniuses, no nothing. Well at least there are resellers and an Authorized repair service.
     
  16. butters149 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
    #16
    is there a way to get a new 2010 one after the 2011 is released? the thing with refurbs is that it comes in that ugly white generic box.
     
  17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #17
    If you're buying it for the box, you're doing it wrong.
     
  18. butters149 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
  19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #19
    if you want a 2010, then sure.

    personally i did something similar, i bought a mbp 2 months before the current models were released. that was before i lurked these forums and didn't really have knowledge of apple product releases, among other things. when i saw the current models come out (apple was still my homepage on safari at the time) i was initially a little bent but after the dust settled, i wouldn't choose a 2011 mbp over my 2010.

    perhaps the experience could be the same for you with the air.
     
  20. rlu929s macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #20
    I'm in the same boat and am also waiting for the refresh. I'll be somewhat tempted by the 2011 version, but the saver in me will probably pay less for a refurb unless the cost savings isn't that great.
     
  21. marrzie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2011
    #21
    elgiganten.se if they have them in stock offers a 30 day no questions asked return guarantee. Not sure if this helps you though.
     
  22. gryffin2007 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #22
    I just received my 2010 MBA 11" Ultimate (maxed out) from Apple's refurb site. The System Profiler shows:
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 0
    Condition: Normal​

    So, for all intents & purposes, my MBA is brand-spanking new, and the "refresh" is probably soon to be released. Am I sorry I waited? Nope. The 2010 MBA does exactly what I need it to do.
     
  23. robertpolson macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #23
    I was also debating if I should sell my MBA 13 4GB that I bought about 3 months ago and get a new one or not.

    However, I am very happy with my current MBA and it does everything that I want very well. Paying extra money and playing the catchup game is just a psychological factor of "I WANT the latest thing because it is the latest" vs. "I NEED this because I have realistic needs for super intensive processor loads on the daily basis".

    I am simply keeping my MBA 2010 that currently flawlessly runs OS Lion.

    Wanting the latest thing is a disease, the more you feed it the more it grows on you. Focus on what you need rather than latest.
     
  24. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #24
    I think that's why I'm looking more at a 2010. I don't need TB or a faster processor. I need to do snappy everyday tasks and have a decent graphics card for Star Trek when I feel like playing it (don't want that lifetime subscription going to waste).

    I may upgrade the SSD through OWC after a year or so of use because I can't afford the 256 model right now.

    I'm going to go to Apple today just to try it out and see what happens. Still on the fence, but I'm glad fellow Apple fans are on these forums to help me out.
     
  25. islanders macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #25
    With supplies running low on current MBA one can predict a refresh in the next several weeks with a high level of certainty.

    It will most likely have Sandy Bridge and the 3000 graphics. That's the only graphics that can run on SB right?
     

Share This Page