Should I keep ipad pro 32GB or buy Surface Pro 3 i3 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eddiehaskell, Dec 3, 2015.

1. eddiehaskell, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

eddiehaskell macrumors regular

I bought a 32GB ipad pro, but now my laptop is broken. :( I'm a very light user (90% web browsing/movies/youtube + I use my phone for a lot of stuff) but occasionally I will need a USB port to plug in my printer, a SD slot to transfer pictures or a DVD drive to watch Redbox. I don't have a desktop - just cheapie windows laptop, ipad pro and iphone 6s.

I just so happened to see today that Microsoft will have the Surface Pro i3 on sale for $499. This seems like a fair deal, but I've never really looked into the Surface lineup.

Can the Surface really kill two birds with one stone by being my laptop AND tablet? Or....should I keep the ipad (which is nice) and save up for a laptop later...maybe an air or MBP?

As a tablet for browsing and movies - how does the Surface compare to my ipad? Nearly as good? Do you think it would work as well for everything else compared to say a Macbook Air?

My wallet is urging me to spend only $500 to have a device that may do everything I need. I'm also sort of a minimalist so if one device can replace two devices that's sort of a bonus.

Any error in my thinking?

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Just depends on you really and what would make you happy. There are a lot of us that tried surface pro to kill two birds with one stone and have an all in one device only to realize, the surface is really just a laptop that doubles as a crappy tablet. The apps for surface tend to not be touch friendly and suck, the battery life isn't the greatest and sometimes the fans kick in making it hot. Not to mention Windows isn't as tightly integrated as iOS and OS X.

Personally? I dumped my retina MacBook 15 and got an iPad pro and will be getting a Mac mini soon for the few times I might need a sub port or something. Was thinking about getting a MacBook for awhile but I felt like it might be overkill considering I'll barely use it. Base model retina MacBook $1300 vs used Mac mini 400

3. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

You currently have a laptop, iPad, & phone. That is probably more flexible than surface + phone. The question I would ask myself is this "how much time am I actually on the iPad now"...if it is a lot then I wouldn't do it.

4. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

It might sound crazy, but I only use about 8 apps (watch ESPN, Facebook, Flickr, Ebay and a few store/bank log-in apps). That of course means app store selection isn't really a big deal for me. I don't game or do any real work (Photoshop/video editing/office, etc) on a tablet/laptop either.

5. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

90% of the time the tablet OR laptop will do what I need. The ipad pro is my first tablet so I'll often pick it up just for a change of pace...not because it does something the laptop wont do or its form factor making it more convenient. I also never take the laptop or tablet outside the house...only my phone goes with me.

6. double329 macrumors 6502

I had SP3 previously. The SP3 is very nice, especially with Win 10. I sold my SP3 and got IPP. It seems like you are looking to get a device that can do little bit of everything. I would go with SP3 instead based on your requirement. I got rid of SFP3 mainly it didn't fit my eco-system namely Apple. I already have good laptop(s). I do web browsing and light duty when I am home. IPP fits my need when I am home and its speeds match SP3 that I had. That was a reason I got SP3 in the first place, fast tablet. I don't really need what SP3 can do as laptop, I just need good and fast tablet. In my case, IPP. For you, I would go with SP3 or SP4.

7. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I have many computers (MacPro, MacBook Pro, Windows box, iPad pro, iPhone). My MacPro does mostly video encoding and runs my video server, the windows box finite element analysis, MacBook Pro for the office with external monitor, .....

At home, I find the iPad Pro to be the best tool to sit in the living room with or travel with when I don't need the MBP. Before the iPad Pro, I had an iPad air but often preferred to use my MacBook Pro instead while around the house. That has changed now which I like.

I'm sure you can get by either way. The surface isn't as good of a tablet and iPad don't pretend to be a laptop. It's big enough and powerful enough to be something kind of new. iOS is improving and you can pull files down, modify them, and put them back which is the basis of most computing today.

8. eddiehaskell, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I see your point. For those that already have a nice laptop, the Surface probably wouldn't make as much sense. MBP is a better laptop and IPP is probably a better tablet. For someone like me that doesn't have a desktop and wants to skim the surface of what a laptop and tablet can do (i.e. light-average users) the SP3 sounds perfect.

9. Jetfire macrumors 6502

Are your sure that is not the Surface 3 and not the Sureface 3 Pro for $499? I just check the MS store site the I3 Surface Pro 3 with I3 and 64 GB is $699 that's $100 off. You can buy a cheap Windows laptop with better specs for Cheaper.

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Seriously on that last part. If you need a laptop very rarely, get a cheapo or hell. Get a desktop and plug it into your tv with a wireless keyboard if you're never planning on leaving home with it. Then enjoy the iPad pro as your "can do most things extremely Well" device. No other tablet I've seen can compare if we are talking about which is the best tablet experience

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

It's a special sale on Dec. 4th. $499 for the i3 model. Pretty good deal.

12. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

$200 off tomorrow, but apparently it's the 128GB i3 model for $699 with a $50 gift card. I've seen cheaper laptops, but I'd sorta like to have a tablet too.

13. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

I just can't do a desktop...I move around too much. Heck, my preferred computer position is laid back in the recliner with the laptop laying on my chest.:)

I'm thinking that if the SP3 can indeed be had for $499 it might be worth a shot. If not, maybe follow jetfire's suggestion and buy a cheap i3 or i5 laptop? I've seen them for ~$300.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Just buy the SP3, try it out yourself before deciding which one to keep.

15. David58117 macrumors 65816

I loved my SP3, and found it very useable as a tablet, in fact more so than the iPP, since it's smaller and the kick stand essentially functions as a much, much improved Smart Cover.

Windows 10 on it is very stable, and I had no issues once the updates came.

Anyway - since getting rid of it and buying the iPP, I also realized I would need a full portable laptop to replace it, so I bought a rMB while it was on sale, and the $20 USB dongle.

I really love that computer, and the claims of it being underpowered are severely overstated. The iPP seems like a behemoth next to it, and the base model is very snappy.

Is that or an 11" air an option?

16. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

But the Macbook is so sexy!!! LOL

17. Jetfire macrumors 6502

I have the Surface Pro 4 and iPP. I just can't get used to it as a Tablet like the iPad. I only have the Surface because I need a portable device at work to interact with our Windows servers and Windows Program to connect to PLC devices.

I find the touch interface on the Surface not as finger friendly as the iPads. I end up having to use the Surface Pen alot to interact with the Surface.

18. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to say yes, but for what amounts to me doing basic web browsing, ~$900 for the IPP and another ~$900+ for a Macbook seems like overkill considering I'll probably never approach the full capabilities of either machine. Heck, I might be better off with a $300 laptop and ~$350 IPA2.:confused:

19. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

The problem with the Surface Pro is that its a very crappy tablet. This all really comes down to what you want. A laptop or an tablet. From what you are describing, I think you would be better off keeping the iPad Pro and buying a cheap windows laptop for when you occasionally need it. I've been in the same boat recently and have wanted to go only iPad and iPhone for my computing needs, but I haven't been able to get rid of my MacBook Pro for one or two tasks. I just can't go windows only so it looks like I'll be looking towards a MacBook in the near future.

20. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

21. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

They have that already, it's called a MacBook. It's an iPad that runs full OS X and comes with a great keyboard. It even has a great input method, the trackpad, that can be used similarly to multi touch gestures on your iPad, but doesn't cause arm fatigue and get fingerprints all over the retina screen. It's pretty awesome, you should check it out ;)

22. TurboPGT! Suspended

Whatever you do, buying a Surface is the wrong choice. Always the wrong choice.

23. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

Never thought about the MB like that, but I guess it sorta is a ipad with a permanently attached keyboard (screen cover when shut) and full OS. It'll be a little funny if tablets evolve back into laptops. Hey - this new awesome thing doesn't make your arm tired or require getting your screen dirty! What is it!?! A laptop. Oh. LOL.

If only the entry price wasn't so high...

24. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Haha exactly! What everyone wants (an iPad Pro running OS X) is right there in front of them. What's even funnier is that people want to carry around 3 different pieces to do what a MacBook does. I am confident that the new MacBooks (early 2016) will come down in price. I am hoping for $999/$1099 for the base model, but we'll see.

25. kevroc macrumors 6502

Actually, what people want is what MS tried to do in Windows 8. Have a tablet based device with tablet apps, that can be switched into a desktop os easily when needed. Too bad they couldn't pull it off...

OSX isn't touch friendly and iOS isn't powerful enough, conundrum...

If they could layer iOS in OSX, make a macbook air with a touch screen that folds back like the Lenovo Yoga, I think they'd capture 90% of the PC market.