Should I keep my MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kim6ball, Jun 1, 2009.

1. kim6ball macrumors member

I just bought a macbook last week and I am having second thoughts. I feel like I spent too much. Its my first laptop and I've always wanted an Apple computer. When I see the cheap PC's at best buy or sams club with 500 GB RAM and 4GB memory and 2.0 ghz(which is the model I got) it makes me want to return it.
    Are the quality of the macs that much better to justify the cost? Any advice is a appreciated.

2. MedHead macrumors regular

Well I had the same kind of dilemma when I got mine, one of my friends was getting a pretty high spec dell for around the same money I was paying. However while the Dell looked better on paper he's had big problems with viruses and the os being generally useless. Where as I have had nothing but a very minor wireless problem on my macbook. Even performance wise my uMB seemed to be snappier than his dell xps.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

For me, OSX is enough to justify the cost. Also, the design is a big factor. Not to mention the innovative ideas, such as Magsafe, lights for battery status, ease of upgrading, etc etc.

However, upon second thought, maybe it's just the Apple logo on the top of the lid that draws me in.. ;)

4. hellrider macrumors regular

The cost of Macs and PC can be debated into eternity, but it really comes down to what you will use the machine for. Also, personal preference is important. Do you enjoy Windows? If money weren't an issue, would you still go PC? I personally love the design of my unibody MacBook Pro - more than any PC laptop.

I would stick with the Mac, it is simply built better than any budget laptops out there. You get what you pay for with Macs. Also, expect the Macbook to retain a good chunk of its resale value after a few years.

5. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

the main reason for me is OS X!!!

i no longer have to worry about viruses, crashes, errors....etc.

OS X just 'works' and i love it :D

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Trust me in the end you will find yourself feeling ripped off with the windows machines. You will get far more enjoyment and productivity out of your mac, even if the crappy Dell has 52000 GB more ram.

7. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You may get 4 or 5 years of great computing from your macbook, whereas on the windows computer, you'll start experiencing slow downs within the first year, if not sooner. Your lucky if you get 2 or 3 years of reliable computing from the windows laptop. Stick with the macbook, it'll probably save you money in the long run.

Just FYI, if you use this mac for even 3 years, thats almost 300 dollars you could potentially save in not having to buy virus software..

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A lot of people say its OS X, but the thing is, that's only 129 bucks. Just keep your Mac dude. These things are awesome machines. From their gorgeous looks to the reliability they perform.

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

There not saying OSX just for the price. People say keep it because of OSX because OSX is simply a better, more reliable OS. The experience and functionality is just better.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

If there's no extra functionality in it for you, I would suggest that you return it to get something that better fits your needs while saving the price difference. Windows is equally, if not more so, capable as Mac OS.

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

Please look up the differences between RAM and hard drive space. The computer you saw had 4GB of RAM, which is the same as memory, and a 500GB hard drive. The words are not interchangeable.

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You do realize that all computer's hard drives get crapped up with stuff right? A Mac is just as susceptible to slow-downs as a PC. Only 2-3 years? I got more than 5 years from my last Dell. I would have gotten more, but it seems that it's got a busted motherboard.

I've had a few PCs with no anti-virus software whatsoever and they've been fine.

Though with a Mac, an old one is still usable. I've got a 733 MHz PM that I use for PS work in Tiger, and I may upgrade it to Leopard. (There's a great work-around for that.) Try running Vista on a 733 MHz PC! :)

And do keep you MacBook. You won't be disappointed once you unlock its power.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope, quality is not at all a factor with Apple computers over any PC. It's the OS that keeps me buying because it tends to require less maintenance than any of my windows boxes ever did.

14. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I do understand that hard drives do get crapped up with stuff on both OS's but OSX has better management for files and what not and from my experience, keeps things running smoother much longer than windows does. Just to echo on what you said about not having anti virus and being okay, I too was ok without any anti virus, but thats just because of smart computing and not going to high risk sites or downloading from untrustworthy sites. For most people they are better off to buy anti virus when they have a windows computer.

15. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

More capable than windows? That really depends on what your using it for, but as for ease of use, safety, and reliability, I say OSX wins hands down.

16. Burning Radio macrumors regular

I too am buying a Macbook for my first laptop and I won't regret it a bit. After using a friend's brand-new cheap Dell, I was so bored after 2 mins and didn't enjoy it at all! I just kept paying attention to all the design flaws and it was vista (what I'm used to already) and was just the boring same old, same old. I can't wait to use my Mac. I love learning new things, so the entire OS X experience will be terrific. I also appreciate the design of the computer more than some average users.

I honestly only have 3 programs in mind, all freeware, to download when I get my Mac. On a windows machine, I'd be making a list of programs to uninstall first and then another list of programs to download. :D

I've been eyeing a macbook since the whitebooks were introduced and Tiger came out.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Despite the fact that ease of use, safety, and reliability are a part of the user experience, they don't determine an operating system's capability in performing a versatile range of tasks. I personally find all three of these aspects equal across both systems.

18. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I think both OS's are capable. I do feel safer with OSX though, and thats just my personal opinion. I used to despise mac computers, but since switching I don't think I could ever go back. In no means am I an apple fan boy or whatever people call them, as I do still use windows occasionally and have really no problem with it, besides vista of course, but I really think windows went downhill after XP. With the release of windows 7 RC, things are looking up for windows, but even after they finally release Windows 7, I could not possibly go back. Besides, I think Snow Leopard will put windows 7 to shame. But thats yet to be determined.

19. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I made the switch 8 months ago, no more headaches no more viruses. Cost was not a issue with me when it came to peace of mine. Just brought our 2nd Mac for hubby. I think you should keep it, you will save yourself so many headaches in the future.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i am selling my first gen mb for $700 tomorrow after having it for around 3 YEARS

resale value is pretty good

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Who the heck is paying $100/year for AV software?

22. o2xygen macrumors regular

The macs have a higher resale value, sturdier (IMO), look much nicer, lighter, longer battery life, better screens (IMO again..), and the huge trackpad is to die for.

The Dell may look nice on paper, but really its probably going to **** itself in a year. As a long hard PC user, I would upgrade/buy new every christmas. But with macs, I upgrade after 2 years at the earliest. A lot of people I know are still using their 1st Gen MBP's and are not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

23. mosx macrumors 65816

Honestly, if you feel you paid too much, that feeling is going to get worse as time goes on.

When I got my first MacBook, about 3 months in, I got curious to see what was available on the PC side of things. I had believed the Apple hype that I had gotten what I had paid for and it was a good value. But as I went to newegg and started looking... I realized I had paid way too much money for my MacBook. At that time my MacBook was $1406. For that I got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, an 80GB HDD, an Intel GMA 950 GPU, and a 13.3" screen. For just over $800, a little more than half as much, I could have gotten a similar CPU, 17" screen, double the HDD space, twice the RAM, and a GeForce Go 7600 GT.

Conveniently, around that time OS X started to show its true colors. Meaning it wasn't as stable as Windows, plus the optical drive started to fail and Apple's build quality started to shine with the case starting to discolor and crack. I've regretted my purchase every day since then.

Especially after going through 2 replacements thanks to poor build quality and even worse repair work that left the first two systems in even worse shape than I sent them out in.

And now the hardware difference between a PC and a Mac is even greater.

For the same $1299 as that entry UniBody MacBook, you can get a PC with a 1680x1050 15.4" screen, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM HDD, 1GB GeForce 9800M GS, blu-ray, HDMI, VGA, card reader, etc.

If you want a 13.3" system, Dell will you the Studio XPS 13 which ships with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M + GeForce 9500M 256MB running in Hybrid SLI, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, HDMI, card reader, etc.

For $999 you can get a 15.4" or 16" system with specs similar to the 15.4" system above, but with a 1GB GeForce 9650M GT. Thats essentially more GPU power with FOUR TIMES the video memory of the MacBook Pro costing twice as much, and more GPU power with double the video memory of the $2,499 MacBook Pro.

When it comes to other important things, like extended warranties, Apple's are the worst. You pay more than you would for one from a PC manufacturer and they don't even offer the same perks, like liquid damage, accidental damage, on-site support, or even 24/7 phone support.

As for build quality, despite the fact that people love to go on about the aluminum casing, the aluminum housing the screen and covering the bottom of the UniBody systems is soft and weak and dents and scratches extremely easily. The "UniBody" piece itself bends if hit. A plastic system will come out of the same hit without a mark on it.

Apple's plastic MacBooks are built even worse. They have known and admitted build quality issues that cause the casing to crack and break down just from regular use. A plastic PC won't have this problem.

As far as OS X being better than Windows? Well, there is quite a bit OS X can't do that Windows can, like have good game support as well as play modern video like blu-ray. OS X can't even play DVDs up to the same level as Windows, as OS X currently does not support full bitstream decoding of video.

OS X is also not any more stable than Windows. I know this from experience. Tiger and Leopard are the only OSes I've used this entire decade that have a knack for hard locking the entire system. Prior to owning a Mac, I hadn't seen an OS completely and fully lock up since the original Windows 98.

Honestly, you really should return the system if you're already feeling buyers remorse. It will only get worse with time. On top of that, if you go with a PC notebook, you'll get a much faster and much more capable system for the same price as that MacBook, and you'll get an operating system that can actually be called "modern" and will actually take advantage of the hardware in your system. You'll also have the option of protecting your system with optional warranties that will cover both failures as well as accidents.

24. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Look at those specs carefully before trading it in. The speed of the processor means nothing these days. It's all about which generation the processor it is. Think of it like gears on your car, the rpm (mhz) that the engine is turning doesn't determine the speed of the car, the gear (generation of processor) is what makes the difference. In first gear at 3000rpm you'll be doing 30mph, in 5th gear at 3000rpm you'll be doing 80mph!
    I have a 2.4Ghz celeron D with 1 gig ram as my work desktop. Last week it took 10 hours to compress a 6gig zip file. I did the same compression on a first generation 1.8 core2duo with 512Mb ram and it completed the same task in 20 minutes. On a current generation core2duo that figure would go down again.

Look at the speed of the ram, is the 4gig 667mhz or 800mhz, or 1066Mhz, this will make a big difference. In the whitebook apple sue 800, in the aluinium ones they use 1066, I'm betting the budget laptop uses 667mhz.

Also take into consideration that the budget laptop will come with vista, vista will barely run on 2gig ram, os x is very fast onb 2gig of ram, because vista requires a lot more power to run.
    this also applies to the processor, vista will demand a lot more from it than os x will.

The budget manufactures always try and make the specs look as good as possible, but it can be very misleading. I wonder what graphics processor they have, and what the screen is like (resolution etc)

25. Burning Radio macrumors regular

+1 VERY good points. Honestly, after seeing what I could get on the PC end with 1500, I still don't feel like it would make much of a difference and don't want to find out. Definitely check out what you're getting before you buy.