Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Let me just preface this by saying I am an honest person, I've found stuff before and returned it, including wallets.

And were this just any iPhone I found in the street I'd do my upmost to find out who it belongs to and get it back to them.
Why?
Not because I hope someone else would do the same for me, in fact I'm quite sure they wouldn't, but because it's the right thing to do.

Anyway, the story.
I get on a bus (UK, know those big red buses? yeah) and as usual I go upstairs to sit down, I sit right at the front.
All is well, I'm having a nice journey playing with my iPhone and listening to some music.
After some minutes the bus starts to fill up, across from me a man sits down, talking on his iPhone.
Now if you're anything like me you notice when someone's using an iPhone straight away, it's like thermal vision or something - we can see another! :D

Guy is in his late 20s/early 30's, you can tell he's one of those hoopleheads who works at MacDonalds, lives with his parents and buys clothes he can't afford.
Bit of a gym monkey type from my estimation too.
I'm trying to recount as best I can the racist, moronic, sexist stuff he says, but quite frankly I can't write a lot of it here or I'd be banned.

Such gems as
"I told Sarah I was going to my Tim's place...yeah yeah, I met her in a bar, guess I needed something different.
Yeah, I couldn't believe she fell for it.

He then said something along the lines of "You need to keep one at home as a backup just incase you don't pull", followed by laughter.

Incredibly annoying laughter as it happens, sort of sounded like a horse going niehhhh!
NIEHH NIEHH NIEHH NIEHH NIEHHHHHHHHH! :mad:

"If a bitch disrespects you then you just give her a taste of your pimp hand bro, I mean it man, they need to be disciplined like ********** dogs".

After this he went on to make some very juvenile sex talk(the details of which I'll spare you) with his 'bro', that sounded like it'd be more apt to come from a dumb 14 year old school boy.

Then the clincher, a nice old lady sitting behind pipes up and asks him to keep it down, and that there were kids on the bus.
He said in a really condescending way "Sure, grandma".
Then he says to his 'bro', quite loudly "Yeah, some old bint is telling me to shut it.
After this he carried on, although very slightly quieter.

Que the racist yatterings about 'darkies' being 'under every nook and cranny these days'.

I was waiting for some homophobic stuff from him to complete the trifecta, but alas he disappointed.

He finished his call about a minute before he got off, I guess he either didn't put his phone in his pocket or he's just a dumb **** and left it on the seat.
But after he got off, I look over and whooops! :D there it is!
I feel like God, if he exists, has put before me a sign to restore my faith in universal justice.
Yoink!

Mine now, 'bro'. :rolleyes:

The idiot didn't even had a passcode, nor had he set up any email address, nor by the looks of things ever used Safari, calendar or any of the main functionality of the phone beyond the contacts app, phone app and messaging.
It was a fairly old iOS version, 4.3, probably never updated.

Next day, first text message arrives, "i want ma ********** fone back whoever dis is or its the choppin block for u".

Now, I might, MIGHT have considered it had it been a polite first text(thought I doubt it, not after his performance on the bus), but that?!

Oh great wisdom if the mac rumours forum, guide me! :D

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Karma but do what you like.. your asking strangers to be your morality bar. Oh didn't read the whole thing just the part you found a phone and you think it might be ok because the guys lives at home or something like that.. :rolleyes:

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
eh i would keep it, take the sim and crush that mofo!!!

----------

jk keep the sim for an unlock ^^

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
by the sounds of the guy, I would definitely keep it. With that type of attitude that he showed through the text, I don't know why he'd expect to get his iPhone back hah.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Forgive my language, but this guys sounds like an *******. Turn off Find my iPhone and do what you will with it. I hope he gets what he deserves, because losing his iPhone is not enough. Some people need to keep their offensive opinions to themselves.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Another Option. Tell the guy you'd meet him somewhere. Buy a Damaged 4 off ebay and Tape a note to it saying stop being a AH and you can have your real phone back!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Let's see what your options are:
1. Return the phone to potentially dangerous individual.
2. Turn phone into police and let them worry about it.
3. Keep phone and hope that karma and/or Find My iPhone don't bite you on the butt.
4. Donate the phone to charity http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/recycle/index.html and earn some good karma brownie points.

If it were me, I would go for 2 or 4. I am just not the type to keep it for myself, regardless of the situation or story. But donating it a local women's crisis center may be a fitting home for it.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Karma but do what you like.. your asking strangers to be your morality bar. Oh didn't read the whole thing just the part you found a phone and you think it might be ok because the guys lives at home or something like that.. :rolleyes:

Read the whole story. Your opinion will change strongly. Either one direction or another but it will change.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
The guy sounds like a complete douche bag and a couple other words I won't say LOL

But I would turn it into the police and say you found it, I wouldn't keep it. I try to see it from the other side. Would you want your iPhone returned to you? Maybe the jackhole was having a bad day LOL, either way sounds like a jack.

But again, I vote give it back.

TuiSong

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Petone, New Zealand
Sorry, but whether this guy is a jerk or not is not for anyone else to judge and dish out punishment for. Justifying keeping something that belongs to someone else based on "but he's a dick" is just childish imo. Turn it into the police, or the bus service lost and found, it is not your phone and you have no right to it, end of story.

The right thing to do is get rid of the phone, others might be saying karma dropped it in your lap. Really though? did you help an old lady across the road that day or do something else that karma might be rewarding you for? or maybe karma is offering you a chance to be the bigger person and do the right thing when faced with this kind of a dilemma.

Short story, other guy being a jerk doesn't cancel out your being a jerk, or as mother used to say, two wrongs don't make a right.

nmork

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Under your bed.
The right thing to do is return it.

Personally, I'd DFU restore it and probably give it to my girlfriend or donate it to charity or something.

But the right thing to do is return it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Get his email from the phone then email him...

Dear Sonny Boy,

Your fancy phone is wonderful. Thanks for leaving it behind. Maybe next time you'll enjoy a quiet ride instead of flapping your jaw. Enjoy your new dumb phone, you chav.

Old Lady

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
How about restore it, delete all data/contacts, pull out the SIM card, dump it (I mean the SIM), maybe put one or two scratches/dents on the phone and take it to nearest police station?

That way you can be a bit renegade without losing too much paragon points too. :p

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
Well in California if you find something and turn it into the police and no one claims it within 90 days you get the item. They have to prove that the item is theirs and there's a good chance this guy didn't save the serial number anywhere and with a restore it gets harder to identify. No idea if laws are similar in the UK though.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
Charge it, turn the ringer off, and then take a bus. Make sure "find my phone" is on. Then hide it in a corner of the bus or under a seat. Let him track it that way. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.