Should I open my mom's iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Virgo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

On Saturday I bought an iPad for myself and one for my mom to give her on Mother's day. Bought from Apple so there is a two week return policy. I was gonna give it to her brand new so she could unwrap it but now I'm thinking I should check for light bleed or dead pixels before it's too late. Thoughts?

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Ugh, come on man. Please don't get caught up in this insanity. Leave it be and let her open her iPad that's likely to be perfectly fine.

Vocal minority.

3. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I'd just give it to her as is. I'm willing to bet the problems we might see won't even be noticed by mom. :)

4. kujen macrumors newbie

Part of the fun in a present is unwrapping it. You could ask her afterwards if you can do a check on it.

5. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

... You have 1 year to get a replacement if the iPad is faulty. Let the woman enjoy opening her gift like any normal human being.

6. Glitter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

If there is something wrong you can always warranty swap it with Apple. I would leave it unopened.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Aren't you two months early for Mothers Day?

I'd return the thing and buy it a couple days ahead of MD, thus giving her the option of swapping it for a different color/config if she wanted.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Yeah--don't get your mom caught up in that OCD stuff. My parents have scratched the crap out of their iPad screen and they don't even realize it. Not deep scratches or anything, but noticeable in certain lighting. I saw the scratches when I was wiping it down one day and chose not to tell them. They don't treat their gadgets like precious gems like I do.

9. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

So do you open and test out every gift you give? :eek:

11. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

Well I live in NY and she's in Florida so I'm mailing it and wouldn't be able to check it.

The only reason I bought it early is because I did the Barclaycard thing and had to spend over $999 at once to be eligible for 12 months no interest. I guess I can just hope it's normal like mine is.

12. matttye macrumors 601

Don't do it.

You'll see a lot of complaints on websites such as this because: -

1) Hardly anybody posts to say "everything is great." Most people post when they need help with something.
    2) People who care about their Apple products enough to sign up to a site such as this are likely going to be more picky than the average person and notice small imperfections.*

* no offence intended to anyone.

13. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

This will be the most expensive gift I have given someone, so it would make sense to consider it. My main concern is that it will be out of the return period when she opens it, so what if it comes with a cosmetic defect that's not necessarily warrenty based?

Or what if she gets a box of rocks like that target guy? ;)

14. matttye macrumors 601

It's the thought that counts :p

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That rock is such an outlier case, it doesn't even make sense to worry about it.

And if a defect is simply "cosmetic," it's unlikely to bother anyone except people who are OCD about their Apple products. I'm guessing your mom isn't one of those people. For glaring defects that interferes with normal usage, Apple will replace it under their one-year warranty.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Give it to her now so she can open it during the 14 day window.

18. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I'll open your moms iPad.

I'll open your mom within the 14 day window.

I'll give your mom light bleed.

19. soco macrumors 68030

soco

No.

20. funkeruski macrumors regular