Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
So. My mid 2012 retina MacBook Pro has been going surprisingly strong up until now. It still works perfectly fine, but there are 3 major issues that I can't continue to live with:
1. The fans speed up doing very light work.
2. The battery needs to be changed.
3. 3 of the bottom rubber grips are missing.

I've asked Apple about the two last points and to fix that it would cost me like 200-300 euros. Due to the fact that Macs are practically non-repairable they said they would have to change the entire "upper and bottom part". Does anyone know what that means on the rMBP(i.e. how much stuff gets changed)?
Reason I'm asking is that I'm first trying to figure out if they will fix the fan noise(probably it just needs to be cleaned and new cooling paste(?)) and what would be the next likely point of failure in the future.

What would you guys have done?

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
of corse, it is a superb machine. Your machine should be good for another couple of years.
Not really an extremely helpful comment, but thank you anyway. If the fans still would speed up by doing simple stuff it would not be a superb machine.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So. My mid 2012 retina MacBook Pro has been going surprisingly strong up until now. It still works perfectly fine, but there are 3 major issues that I can't continue to live with:
1. The fans speed up doing very light work.
2. The battery needs to be changed.
3. 3 of the bottom rubber grips are missing.

I've asked Apple about the two last points and to fix that it would cost me like 200-300 euros. Due to the fact that Macs are practically non-repairable they said they would have to change the entire "upper and bottom part". Does anyone know what that means on the rMBP(i.e. how much stuff gets changed)?
Reason I'm asking is that I'm first trying to figure out if they will fix the fan noise(probably it just needs to be cleaned and new cooling paste(?)) and what would be the next likely point of failure in the future.

What would you guys have done?

My MacBook Pro has feet made from felt from the local DIY store :) The kind of things that people put on the legs of their chairs so they don't scratch the floor. They have stuck on that MacBook for about three years now and definitely won't come off. And you can be sure that your MacBook won't scratch any expensive tables :) Should cost 1€ or 2€.

For the fan noise, yes, you might just open the case and blow hard until all the dust is gone. It's not going to hurt, and depending on your environment there might be a lot of dust.

There's a standard price for replacing the battery. Should be under €200.

Reactions: GoldfishRT

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I think the correct way to figure this out is to ask:

Is a new MacBook Pro at a 300 Euro discount worth it to replace your 2013?

That said, I find it surprising the fans kick up all the time on your laptop. My 2012 with a far worse cooling system basically never kicks up. Try opening it up and taking some compressed air to it.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I think the correct way to figure this out is to ask:

Is a new MacBook Pro at a 300 Euro discount worth it to replace your 2013?

That said, I find it surprising the fans kick up all the time on your laptop. My 2012 with a far worse cooling system basically never kicks up. Try opening it up and taking some compressed air to it.
Mine is 2012 though.

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I cleaned my rMBP 2012 out (fans, full of dust and put some new thermal compound on the heatsinks), got a new battery fitted (which comes with new keyboard and trackpad and case parts) and its like new - I'd had similar issues to you. It won't keep up with a lot of my work needs now as its too slow, but for a general laptop it is still snappy as anything and does not feel nearly 5 years old. For an office/internet machine I can see another 2-3 years (fingers crossed!) and its still way better than a lot of budget windows laptops colleagues have bought this year.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

How's the anti-glare coating on the display?
Is there any "flaking" of it, wearing off?

WHY I asked:
This is now covered with a free replacement program by Apple.

I'm thinking that if you have any defects in the display, you might get a discount on getting the other stuff fixed. Worth a try.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I cleaned my rMBP 2012 out (fans, full of dust and put some new thermal compound on the heatsinks), got a new battery fitted (which comes with new keyboard and trackpad and case parts) and its like new - I'd had similar issues to you. It won't keep up with a lot of my work needs now as its too slow, but for a general laptop it is still snappy as anything and does not feel nearly 5 years old. For an office/internet machine I can see another 2-3 years (fingers crossed!) and its still way better than a lot of budget windows laptops colleagues have bought this year.
Did you do all of this yourself? Could you point me in the direction of where to find spare parts?

OP:

How's the anti-glare coating on the display?
Is there any "flaking" of it, wearing off?

WHY I asked:
This is now covered with a free replacement program by Apple.

I'm thinking that if you have any defects in the display, you might get a discount on getting the other stuff fixed. Worth a try.
No, unfortunately no flaking of this so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.