Should I pull the trigger on a 64gb yellowpad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, May 19, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Have the screen quality issues been getting any better or will I get just that, a yellow pad?

I was also wondering is apple still only having Samsung as the sole supplier, it doesn't seem like sharp or lg screens are on board yet. The other two have been cut so far for failing to meet quality standards...if the quality of the current iPad screens are what they are I can't imagine how bad the ones from sharp and lg must have been...

Last thing I am wondering about is do they keep the best screens for the 64gb ones? Would make sense that on the model they have the highest margins on, upwards of 40%, they d be putting the best qc screens on. But I have not read of correlations here.

2. xraytech, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68030

Do Not buy your iPad until I give you the Green Light. K ;)

3. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

4. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

are you definitely settled on a 3rd generation ipad? why not look at the refurb iPad 2's ?

i didn't like the excessive heat issues for the 3rd generation (my hands would start sweating after just a few mins of watching a 720p mp4) so i bought an iPad 2 16GB wifi refurb for $319. new battery, new shell, new bezel, 1 yr warranty

6. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

No difference in quality between 64GB models and others. My first two had very uneven screen tints; 3rd is more uniform but pinkish and these were all LTE 64GB, top-of-the-line. It is obvious from this forum that there are good and bad units out there, some more perfect than others. Who knows, maybe you will get a great product the first time around. Apple is great about returns/exchanges inside 14-day window so why not try?

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

your username fits you, you blew a minor issue up.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Mine has a perfect screen and does not get hot--even under heavy gaming. It gets a *little* warm but so did my 1st gen iPad and a Xoom I used to have. If you base purchase decisions on discussion forums you'll never get any tablet. The problems people experience here are not widespread.

9. Irish Rose, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

Irish Rose macrumors 65816

You can pull the trigger on a yellow one if you want. The 64GB LTE model that I got has the same bluish tint to it that my old iPhone 4 had. Just because some people are getting the New iPad that has a yellowish tint to it doesn't mean that you will. If you really want it, go for it, the New iPad is an awesome device!

10. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

This. My god, this. Discussion boards, forums, blogs, wherever make up such a small fraction of the actual owners. According to the internet, I'm sure somewhere, every single product is defective or they've had a poor experience with X. None of that represents how your product will function.

If you want an iPad, get one. They are great devices, I get to use one almost every day at work and plan to get one for home sometime soon to use mainly as an AppleTV remote :D

11. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

If you can return it then do so. I'm afraid that, to get a good iPad, you're going to have to fight for it, and be clever. My iPad 3 is pretty good (very very sight pink tint and very very sight uneven backlight) but to get it I had to buy and return two others to two separate retailers. I hated doing this but I had no choice.

There's no rhyme or reason to serial numbers of models. Only superstitions! The only advice I would give is to get one from a retailer who is likely to get stock straight off a production line, and not from a warehouse. You really want one that was manufactured recently when they might (*might*) have fixed the manufacturing bugs. Remember that big retailers might have bought hundreds of thousands to get volume discounts a few months ago.

But good luck in what you do. Remember that you are entitled to expect better for your money.

12. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Very good advice, thanks. :) I hadn't considered how some retailers would be getting from warehouse and not production lines.

----------

I am on the market for a retina screen or any hidpi screen for that matter because I have astigmatism and the clear type helps me read without glasses. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and I d skip to gen 4 where they fix the heat (die size) and screen quality issues, and make It lighter too. :) it's an issue of needing it more than wanting it.

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

my screen is fine. if yours is not, then return it. they will give you a refund and/or let you exchange it.

14. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Probably a troll thread but I'll bite.

The screens likely come off of a single assembly line rather than multiple lines for each model, further they aren't likely to even be viewed by a human eye rather machine tested for basic functionality, therefore the 64GB will likely not feature a premium screen over the lower capacity models.

The screen issue seems common because people with problems are attracted to forums like this one but it really isn't. Look at the iPad 3 satisfaction poll and you'll find that even here over 80% are satisfied with their ipads.

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

No screen, heat or any issues with mine. Don't listen to people with tinted vision or sweaty hands.

j/k.

16. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I bought a 64gb iPad on the same day as 2 other friends. All of ours are just fine. No problems.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think that's how it works.

18. ZipZap, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

ZipZap macrumors 601

I thought this thread was actually different. Thought we had someone who wanted to embrace the yellow screen.

BUT NO....

This is just another thread on yellow ipad screens. Useless thread.

Edit - To be clear, I meant no need for yet another thread....and not that there is no yellowing issue.

19. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't either, I d hoped for better qc in screens with the highest margin model, but I guess unless sharp and or lg can get on board and/or Samsung sort out the production issues uniformly good screens aren't coming out and a high fault rate is expected... I guess retina at 3.5 os much easier to do than at the iPads size, hence there were no issues with the iPhone. I guess early adopters will have to take a risk and a hit on colour quality to get the retina display. I find it hard to wait out on it to be honest, but I am over the stage in my life where I am going to go through 4-5 models to get a decent screen.

20. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

But apparently you aren't over the stage in life where you ignore the majority of people with no problems and instead base your opinion on the whinings of a few. :confused: You could at least go to a store and look at some iPads for yourself first, if it's possible in your area. You might discover that things aren't as bad as the alarmists have clearly brainwashed you to believe.

21. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

There is no widespread problem of any kind. Very small percentages of users of any device, will sometimes have an issue.

Mine is perfect.

The sky is not falling C.L.

22. rkahl macrumors 65816

No screen issues people... move on, nothing to see here.

23. 62tele macrumors 6502a

I think your mind is made up! Don't buy it. You don't deserve it.

Threads like this crack me up. I've purchased 3 iPads, one for myself and two as gifts. All are excellent. At least three of my coworkers have purchased them and love them. No complaints and no needless handwringing over phantom issues.

24. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I know everyone has their own unique opinion and things that they prefer, but I actually find the colors on the new iPad quite pleasing. I held it up next to my iPhone 4S and I find that while the iPad has a bit more pinkish hue, it looks more natural than the iPhone's greenish hue (which doesn't particularly bug me either).

That said, I fully sympathize with people who are having a frustrating screen experience. My first MacBook Pro had very bad light bleed on the edges of the screen and it drove me nuts for a while! Ultimately, I think it just comes down to what people are sensitive to, and they have to decide whether a products quirks outweigh its benefits for them.

Anyway, maybe I just got lucky, or maybe it's because I don't have an iPad 2 to compare it to, but I'm loving this screen!

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Yes, calling it a yellowpad is asking for trouble, and corny at best. And in the 50 or so I've seen with my own eyes, I've not seen one I'd characterize as "yellow". Varying degrees of pink/green/cyan, blotchy uneven backlighting, dull flat contrast, yes, but not yellow.

2 months later, I'm amazed that some people's hobby on this forum seems to be hanging around complaint threads, without any complaints of their own, for no other reason than to badger those with complaints. If that isn't a supreme waste of time, I don't know what is.

And it's funny, those of us with complaints are constantly labled a "small handful". Yet, while I've lost track of the number of people who've posted their experiences with the same screen issues I've seen, I can easily count and name the handful of hobby badgers who post in these threads incessantly, day in and day out. Talk about a handful. Talk about small.

Fact. I've seen 50+ new iPads. All but 3-4 of them had issues with the screens that I could plainly see.

Fact. Most people have handled no where near 50 iPads. Yet the resident hobby badgers here are somehow privy to the overall quality of all iPads, based on their single-iPad experiences.

Fact. If you are not sensitive to color and you have nothing to compare it to, chances are very good that you will perceive your iPad as perfect.