Should I purchase an iPod Touch 4g now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by legosz, Mar 22, 2011.

  1. legosz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #1
    I currently have an Ipod touch 1st gen, and an 2nd gen. I want to upgrade but I do not know if I should wait for the 5th generation or just purchase the 4th generation.

    Looking for advice, and please do not tell me not to upgrade because I have already stated that I "Want to upgrade.." and it will make you appear like a fool.

    Thank you.
     
  2. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

    moldy lunchbox

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2010
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #2
    Buy now, Bestbuy has them on sale for $20 less than the Apple retail price right now too.
     
  3. legosz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #3
    Maybe in America but in Canada it's $249 everywhere I go. Even though the dollar is stronger here. I guess shipping really does make the difference.

    But that's 1 for purchase, 0 for wait.

    Thanks!
     
  4. Icehawk macrumors member

    Icehawk

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    I'm lost.
    #4
    I have a first gen. Do you need one or just want one? The 4th gen is great, but I figure I can live with my 1st gen for a few more months. Then I have two options:

    I can get a 5th gen.
    OR
    I can get a 4th gen at a reduced price.

    It comes down to you and how patient you are. I know the 5th gen is quite a few months away. Can you survive till the iPhone 5 emerges? If you can, wait. See what happens to it. Use that as your basis for the 5th gen iPod Touch. At that point, it's only a stone throw away from the 5th gen anyway.

    This is my problem. I keep waiting. Was going to get the 4th gen but wanted to see what hte iPad 2 was like. Didn't float my needs, so I'm waiting for the 5th gen touch again.

    I've way outgrown my 8gb 1st gen. Way outgrown but I can survive.
     
  5. malnar macrumors 6502a

    malnar

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    #5
    Depends on what you want it for. I just bought a 64gb from Amazon ($364.99 American - check Amazon.ca for what I would bet is an equally competitive price on whichever size you're looking at) and I'm not sweating the impending iPod Touch 5 in September. Why? Because it's JUST an iPod in my case. I have my iPhone and Ipad for games and other uses. So if you want it for music, I don't see why you'd need the surely faster processor or more RAM. But if you're using it for "an iPhone without the phone" then you really have to consider what you will be missing out on. Will it get the A5? Most likely. Will it have 512mb RAM? Most likely. Is it certain? No telling - obviously.
     
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #6
    I'd get one now. I upgraded from a first gen, and the difference is nuts. Definitely faster, the display is awesome, and it comes with more features.
     
  7. snakelda macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    Az.
  8. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #8
    I had a first and second gen until two weeks back. Now I have an iPod Touch 4. Definitely
    worth it
     
  9. Avro macrumors regular

    Avro

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #9
    I would say that you should get one now. I had a 2G iPod Touch and now a 4G iPod Touch and the difference is remarkable.
     
  10. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

    Peterson8765

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    Location:
    Oregon
    #10
    Buy now, but if you want to upgrade to the 5G touch when it comes out in September just sell it in August/September before the new iPod's come out and you'll have a fair amount of money to put towards buying a 5G touch.
     
  11. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

    moldy lunchbox

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2010
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #11
    I haven't really heard of a market for iTouches, most potential buyers either want a new one or just an old iPhone. I think thats why most people keep their 1st and 2nd gen iPod touches while most iPhone owners have sold a previous model.
     
  12. WillMak macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #12
    I'm in a similar boat. My iTouch gen 1 is getting slow for my applications at work. I also want to upgrade my laptop from a 2006 macbook to a 2011 MBP....but thinking about waiting until the free iTouch deal that usually happens in the summer.

    So buy Laptop nnow and wait for iTouch5? Or wait for summer deal and get free iTouch 4...The only thing that hold me back is the potential that the 5th gen might use a dual core A5 chip...
     
  13. Brucewl macrumors 6502

    Brucewl

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    #13
    I think you'd better wait for iPod Touch 5G, only half an year, not a long time
     
  14. Bloodstar, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

    Bloodstar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    #14
    I'd wait and see what happens with the fifth generation one, myself. The iPod touch 4 is quite great, yes, but half a year in my opinion feels like a fairly short wait to see what will happen, especially with the potential for a large bump in the specs.

    Unless, of course, your current model is struggling to meet your needs. If that is the case, then upgrade now, by all means! I don't see the Touch 4 struggling to keep up for a while.

    ...and ignore the thumbs-down. Mistake.
     
  15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #15
    At best a new Touch is going to get a faster processor. Perhaps the A9 from the iPad-2. There is no hardware left to add, except for NFC and maybe Local ATSC HDTV reception. ;)

    And there is always the chance they'll "reset" the Touch to a lower set of features, so they can build them up again over 4 or five years. Think Nano.
     
  16. iApples macrumors 65816

    iApples

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2011
    #16
    I would wait. Forget the speed difference and all that garbage. It's not necessary. I own both an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 2G and I prefer to use my iPod Touch 2G while I'm at home over my iPhone. I have not once used facetime on my iPhone and I know a lot of people that are in the same boat as me. I'd wait a few more months and see what the 5th generation iPod Touch has in store.
     
  17. Icehawk macrumors member

    Icehawk

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    I'm lost.
    #17
    If you're a student or qualify for it, you're silly to not wait. Why? Free money towards it. Heck, any time you qualify for a deal that saves you money like this you should just probably wait.

    See what happens to the iPhone in the summer. What happens to it might happen to the touch. Then decide if you want to spend full price on a 5th or just get a free 4th. Personally, I'd get the free one. If nothing else, you can give it away as a gift or something and then buy a 5th gen if it's that much better.

    A5. More ram. Future proof and future iOS proof for a little longer than the 4th. They might even upgrade the camera in it. Sure, still won't be the best, but if I don't have a real camera on me at the time, I'll take what I can get. I'm waiting to see.

    My 1st gen runs 1 app now. One out of a dozen I had. Six months is a blink of the eye. I can wait.
     
  18. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #18
    No Apple will never reset their products especially when the itouch is one of their best selling devices.

    It seems that they "downgraded" the Nano because they are slowly converting people to buy the iTouch instead. After all Apply gains profit from app sells for iTouch and none for the Nano. There will be a update and seeing how Apple is always one step ahead of their competitors , this year with larger screens , 3D display it will be very interesting to see what will happen with iPhone and iTouch 5g since most of the updates carry over to the Touch.

    I am in the same scenario either buying 4g now or wait for the 5g, since iPhone 5g is coming out in 3 months, i'd rather wait to see what happens with the iPhone and also if Itouch 5g is satisfactory in early september i will just buy the 4g at a reduced price.
     
  19. Nega macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #19
    about 2-3 weeks ago I bought IPod 4G 8GB for $208 at Best Buy and I also got a $25 gift card. Hopefully that deal is still holding up.

    Unfortunately you missed the woot deal on 3/21 which had the same IPod for $179
     
  20. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #20
    I'd go ahead and upgrade to the 4th gen. No need to skip another generation.
     
  21. gigaguy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #21
    Since it looks likely now that the iPhone5 will be announced in the Fall, I assume Touch5 will be late summer, not in a few months?
     
  22. Shaneuk macrumors regular

    Shaneuk

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    #22
    Wait. When the ipod touch 5 comes out, you'll be able to decide whether you want one or not. Plus the 4th gen will have came down in price. It's a win win, provided you're not in a rush.
     
  23. earth.razer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    #23
    Late summer is not in a few months? Anyways, I'll bet ipt5 will be announced in September like it always does, so 5 months away. I definitely would wait because I am unimpressed by the short-cuts on the ipt4. Like the lack of an ips screen, crap 0.7MP rear camera and only 256mb of ram.
     
  24. Flake macrumors regular

    Flake

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #24
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I dot have high hopes for a mega-upgrade, expecting a spec bump like from the 2g to 3g. I'm not sure if they'll upgrade the camera. you should probably go ahead and buy one now
     

Share This Page