Should I purchase from Bestbuy or Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahmac, Apr 6, 2008.

1. ahmac macrumors newbie

I am considering buying a 17in Macbook Pro from Bestbuy because their extended warrantee covers accidental damage as well as battery replacement and power cord replacement.

Is this a good idea? How beneficial would buying from Apple and buying Applecare?

Thanks for your help.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Im not from the US but from what ive read on these forums bestbuy sucks,so id go with apple plus applecare is well worth it

3. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I got 10 percent / $150 off my 20" iMac just by asking whether Best Buy could do anything to match the student discount that the Apple store provides. And they didn't even require me to bring the student with me or give an email address or anything.

4. ozmerelda macrumors newbie

Read the Warranty carefully.

Apple telephone support ends after 90 days. I NEED that. If you don't then perhaps the Best Buy insurance/warranty is best. Just be sure to read what the exceptions are and ask how they determine them. I have been treated very well by Best Buy and have gotten 3 new computers 1 pc and 2 notebooks because I purchased the warranties.

Good Luck!

OZ

5. aforty macrumors 65816

I don't understand why anyone would *willingly* support chains like Best Buy. I hope you come to your senses.

6. ahmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Best buy or Apple?

Hi Bklynkid,

Simply, I have not had a problem with Bestbuy. It's not that I "support" them. There are some benefits, such as the fact that I can return some items which I may not like...without a restocking fee.

I am just trying to weight the pros and cons.

I have bought a system from Apple Store before. 1 week later they updated the system and will not update mine at no charge. I actually returned the system. I would rather have them "eat" the 10 % then to buy the entire system from them.

It's a matter of principal. If they sell the same system 7 days later for much less, then it is simply unfair.

7. sal macrumors 6502

best buy has a restocking fee

anyways, why are you asking this question? It seems you've already made up your mind since you were screwed by the apple store(buying a system and the returning it because it was updated) and you haven't had any problems with bestbuy. The choice seems obvious to me.

Buy from whoever you feel most comfortable with.

8. Mott macrumors newbie

You can find a coupon for 10% off any or most products in Best Buy. Do a search on the web and you may find it.

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It will never apply to Apple products.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Best Buy extended warranty forces you to take your machine to Best Buy for warranty service. They don't do the service themselves, so they farm it out to whoever. Be prepared for long waits to get your machine back. Apple, the Apple Store and Apple dealers will not honour the Best Buy warranty after the standard Apple warranty runs out.

11. azngamer808 macrumors member

i'm an employee at best buy (please don't bash me, it's a great college job) who recently purchased a penryn macbook pro. I chose to purchase the APPLE CARE protection plan over best buy's.

the reason is that i've heard and seen many instances where laptops come back from the best buy repair depot with the same errors on them. Plus it takes a really long time. Another thing is that the geek squad agents are more specialized for PCs. So that means that more often than not, your computer will have to be shipped out rather than repaired in the store (which takes at least 2 weeks). I had applecare on my old powerbook and even when it had to get shipped out, i got it back in about a week. much faster than best buy.

However, the other aspects of the best buy plan are really great as the OP mentioned (battery replacement, accidental damage, power cord). All of which i wish the apple care covered.

It was a really tough decision for me, but i personally chose to go apple. You don't get as many benefits as best buy, but you get better service.

12. asmallchild macrumors regular

I figured I'd go straight to the source.

To be fair, not all the Apple employees are the sharpest crayons in the box. My father asked one of the fellows working there how much a set of Bose NC3 headsets cost. The guy replied, "$99"

(We should have purchased one from him and left. I could always come back for a MBP another day :p)

But BestBuy techs probably deal with a whole slew of hardware. Whereas the ones working in the Apple Store only have to worry about Apples.

And of course, who can discount the coolness factor from shopping in an Apple store? :D

I remember when they first started, analysts predicted a massive loss of money for Apple from these stores (this was at a time when the powerhouses like Dell were still doing strong with their build-to-order over phones/Internet scheme)

I went in to an Apple Store late on a Friday night and it was jam packed. People of all ages trying, testing, and many of them purchasing Apple products to go. A very pleasant shopping experience.

(Not that Best Buy is crummy. It just isn't the same IMHO)

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

AFAIK accidental damage is not covered under the BB warranty or Apple Care.

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

One thing you need to take in consideration with Best Buy's extended warranty is that if you do need to get the laptop replaced, they wouldn't let you replace it with one of equal value. They'll give you store credit for what THEY think the laptop is worth.

So, lets say you spend 2,500 on a MBP. You spill water on it after 8 months (and of course, the MBP line would be updated by then). So, instead of letting you replace it with another 2500 MBP model, they'll give you store credit for whatever they think it's worth, which may not even allow you to get another MBP without money coming from your own pocket.

15. glennsan macrumors regular

Homeowners Insurance Policy

I was able to get my homeowners insurance to cover accidental computer damage for another $ 6.00 a year. It covers up to $ 3000.00 damage.
    Just an idea.

Glennsan

16. Mott macrumors newbie

Wrong, I purchased a Airport Extreme with it last week and received $18 off the price before taxes.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

True - - but I was referring to the common misconception - a lot of people thing, and pushy salesmen will sometimes even support this - that the warranty covers accidental - and it does not.

18. sdsviet macrumors regular

i cant say for sure but u could be wrong on this. the whole spill water i dont know about but i know that if u have to bring in the laptop more than 3 times due to hardware problems that u did not cause urself, they considered that laptop to be a lemon and that they will replace u with a new laptop of the same model. if that one is not around anymore then they let u get a new one with the initial cost of the first laptop u bought.

the one thing i have to say about the warranty that i dont like is that say after a year and ur apple warranty is done and u still got a bestbuy warranty, and ur battery dies out. u can go back to bestbuy and get it replace but dont expect them to give u an authentic apple battery. they sourced that out to whoever and mostly likely they will replace with a generic version of ur apple battery. their warranty doesnt deal with apple directly so that's is what u get. i have a gateway tablet from them and need to replace an ac adapter and a battery. when they sent me the replacement neither was actual oem gateway parts.

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If they actually do replace it (the conditions are: 3 major repairs, 4th one = replacement, can't be fixed in less than 60 days, or irreparable) - they will replace your machine with one of similar spec. If you refuse that, I heard they will give you a gift card for the value of the machine of similar spec. Problem is, in 3 years from now, a laptop specced like the current mbp will be worth $499, lol. I've worked at a big box store for over a year and have never seen someone get their machine replaced though.

20. jarpod macrumors member

Dudes, Im a lawyer and all I can say about BB's warranty is WOW....
    Over the last 10 years Ive gotten like 12 laptops out of one I actually bought.... now that bb's are selling apple products, Im returning my faulty air to apple and buying one from best buy with Accidental protection damage... 2 years from now I guess Ill just run over my air to get a replacement :D
    I would highly recommend BB's warranty........... Heck I had to buy my MBP 17" from the apple store because I WANTED/NEEDED hires screen.... and bb does not offer it.... so there ya go!!!
    hope it helps
    if you can buy at best buy, go ahead!!!
    PS: My warranty has worked with ipods... lots of them :D

21. calvy macrumors 65816

You sure you don't work for Best Buy?

I'd avoid them for the simple reason that one of the smug little employees told me a long time ago that "Best Buy does not and will not ever carry Apple products". But they had to get into the iPod action, and eventually the Mac line as well. And I can't imagine Best Buy's warranty being any better than Apple Care.

22. jarpod macrumors member

Nope, I dont work @ best buy... I mean come on... do you think that a best buy employee could afford my computers? or my ride for that matter? (check sig)
    At least here in laredo TX, best buy has a mini apple store inside... they are authorized resellers
    http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/index.html?q=laredo+texas
    so, check it out :D I guess some people have had bad luck because Ive never encountered any problems whatsoever with best buys psp

23. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

There's always jackasses working at every store. In my area, the apple store employees, ESPECIALLY the geniuses, are a bunch of stuck up pricks. Honestly though, I don't go to the store for advice because I find out what I want to buy online, and then buy it wherever is cheaper/has more advantages.

I know at least the best buys near me allow you to return products with no restocking fees, so that's a HUGE plus.

24. PDE macrumors 68020

My advice is don't buy from either of them! Do this:

Buy from amazon.com with your VISA card which will give you two years of warranty right from the start and often allow you to extend it through VISA after the second year(check with your card issuer, but usually platinum cards and above have this extra warranty service - all cards seem to have the automatic double warranty service) . Also, you will save significant amounts of money by getting it from amazon: $150 rebate on the already slightly lower price, no taxes and free shipping - that could be $300 saving right there and certainly enough to buy either the extended warranty through VISA (highly recommended and with a no lemon/replacement policy, battery replacement policy and just great service) OR applecare. Also, Amazon has a great return policy for items with any kind of defect.

All this for less than just the computer from apple or bestbuy!

25. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Everyone buying at Best Buy: You are subsidizing this poster! The return policies at Best Buy are not right. The squeaky wheel customers are the ones that get treated like this (or the attorneys) and the profits from what the rest of the customers pays for it.

Best Buy has been reported to be trying to categorize customers. They are trying to ditch the squeaky wheels and embrace the gold ball customers who just buy their stuff and go home.

Either BB is going to stop greasing squeaky wheel customers or they are going to go out of business.

Apple stores are cool. They are covenient (at least for me) to get to and they perform their function well. I vote with my dollar at the Apple Store.

You can do as you wish with your dollars.