Should I purchase MacHeist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asdfTT123, Jan 22, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Price wise, I don't have an issue paying for the apps since the price is ridiculously cheap for the retail price of the apps, plus 25% is going to charity. My question is how useful are these apps? I'm a college student and I use my Macbook for word processing, lab reports, internet, and general multimedia, productivity, and organization. I don't have very much use for apps such as Wingnuts, Mini golf, VectorDesigner, or Pixelmator since I don't play many video games and I already have Adobe CS3. Do you find yourself using the other apps on a regular basis and have they made your computing experience better?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Pixelmator is worth it alone.

I use AppZapper, Pixelmator, Coversutra, SnapzProx and Cha-Ching.

Yep, I think they are useful and for $49 you can't go wrong.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i use app zapper and its amazing, i was goignt o gte istopmotion anyway whcih was 49 already, so 11 free applications are very welcome, i am sure i ll use cha ching, teh vector one, 1passwords, and the pictures one for sure...

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I agree that price wise, apps like iStopMotion are worth it alone. So if there is one app that you need, which costs close to the $49 then yes it is worth the price.

However, you should be aware that a number of people have had problems when purchasing the bundle where they have been charged up to 10 times and received nothing. There is something wrong with the payment processing page which causes this.

If you do decide to buy the bundle, try purchasing it once and if it gives you the message 'unable to process order', do NOT try again. Check your balance as you will likely have been charged anyway and then contact MacHeist support.

Their support system is very poor though, and you will likely be waiting a number of days to get your issue resolved. It has been 3 days since I was charged 4 times (and received nothing) and have still not had my refund or any hint as to whether I will still receive the bundle.

David

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

As is mostly the way however, it is problem free. I was charged once and received my serials within a few hours.

Problem free. The MacHeist team are fully aware of the issues and are making in roads into fixing the problems.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's not really problem free. I just explained a pretty big problem with the payment processing page. This has nothing to do with user error. The page continually prompts some credit card and paypal customers to re-enter their order, when each time it is charging the account.

To say the MH team are fully aware of it and are making progress is also reaching a bit. Only yesterday (after 7 days from when this problem was first reported), was the issue acknowledged and still, the people who are having this problem are waiting to hear what is going to be done.

It is definitely something to watch out for.

7. jhande macrumors 6502

Well, apart from the Cha-Ching serial snafu (which *has* been sorted out), add me to the problem free list as well.

I bought it for Snapz X and Pixelmator. Vectordesigner is nice, but still 'new', i.e. buggish. I'm playing around with CSS Edit, but prefer Coda, which I have. 1Password - bleh. Installed it, played around with it, deleted it. Others swear by it.

All in all, a really good bundle.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I found VectorDesiger a bit poor, and I was unhappy to see you only get upgrades on CoverSutra until version 3 (currently version 2) never mind though, small things.

9. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Pixelmator and VectorDesigner make the bundle worth it.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Purchase Success

I just purchased the MacHeist II Bundle and everything went smoothly, no double charges, etc.

Just wanted to post a positive success on this great value. :D

11. jeremynsl macrumors newbie

The deal is a pretty great one.. I thought I'd mostly use it for Pixelmator and Snapz, but surprisingly I've found Taskpaper, Speeddownload and Cha-Ching pretty useful.

I've had trouble downloading the free games though. I figure I'll wait a few days, since they are probably very busy.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

1password is very useful. something that you'll find yourself using a lot once you install it.

arn

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

no problems here either but I am still waiting on my vector key it did say it will take 48hours and its only been 12or so.

14. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Doesn't look bad, but I found the first MacHeist more enticing myself :)

15. jhande macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, it's a nicely done product. I just find it a bit intrusive. I'd say that if you don't like messing around with keychains (which I do), it's good. I've installed keychain managers that are much, much worse.

16. Banesmagic macrumors newbie

Ordering problems

I too experienced problems with multiple billings. The ordering system was not being very helpful as it only gave an "error processing order" message and prompted users to try again. I am being patient with the directorate and hope they sort this out shortly. This is after all a good cause and we are being offered a crap load of software for very little money.

My two cents.

17. phytonix macrumors 6502

until version 3, does that mean I can upgrade to v3 or not?

18. DaveF macrumors 6502a

As a college student with Adobe CS 3 and presumably MS Office, you're covered -- no need for VectorDesigner or Pixelmator.

Beyond that, would you use any of these programs? SnapzPro is a great screen grab program; it also does video screen captures. iStopMotion looks fun if a person is interested in stop motion animation. If you do web design (and not with iWeb), then CSSEdit could be good (but maybe you have Dreamweaver).

So, you ask, do you need these? Well, the question is then, would you use them? :)

I bought it for VectorDesigner and Pixelmator. I need some drawings apps but am not going to shell out for CS3 for my modest use. Everything else is gravy; maybe I'll use them, maybe not.

19. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

For me CSSEdit and Pixelmator were the reasons I bought the bundle (I was using the demo version of each at the time). I've only downloaded two other programs from the bundle so far and I've liked them both. App Zapper is actually pretty handy and fun if you install a lot of apps (I'm an app whore). When you delete an app it even finds the dmg and offers to delete that as well; nice touch.

I've actually enjoyed using Awaken too. It's a fairly simple app but when traveling last week for work it came in handy and was nice to wake up to some music. In my case, I'd say the bundle was worth it.

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I doubt it, you'll most likely get all the 2.x.x upgrades, and have to pay again for version 3. Possibly, thats just my take.