Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
A member of another forum is selling his 2G iPhone 8GB for $350 (unlocked, jailbroken). The only problem with it, according to the pics he provided, is a hairline scratch on the glass screen:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/996gt2/P1050665.jpg

He says it's only visible in certain angles of light and does not affect functionality at all. Question is, at this price, would it be worth it? All other pics of the phone point to it being flawless (in exception of maybe a tiny tiny scratch on the back). Also, for those who have these types of scratches, are they very noticeable and bug you when you're using your phone? Thanks for any insight.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Scratch on back, sure thing. Scratch on glass, hells no. I couldn't anyway, I wouldn't be able to stop staring at it. I would CERTAINLY not pay that much money for one with a scratch on the glass. I wouldn't pay that for an mint 8GB 1st gen.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
A member of another forum is selling his 2G iPhone 8GB for $350 (unlocked, jailbroken). The only problem with it, according to the pics he provided, is a hairline scratch on the glass screen:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j120/996gt2/P1050665.jpg

He says it's only visible in certain angles of light and does not affect functionality at all. Question is, at this price, would it be worth it? All other pics of the phone point to it being flawless (in exception of maybe a tiny tiny scratch on the back). Also, for those who have these types of scratches, are they very noticeable and bug you when you're using your phone? Thanks for any insight.

YES

DPB17

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Ireland, unfortunately.
I would be driven crazy by that, but I suppose it depends on how easily you get annoyed by meaningless things. I don't think you will find a better looking 1st Gen iPhone than that at least not at that price.:)

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
8GB 1st Gen iPhone's have been selling on these forums for sound $200-$280 in similar or worse condition, FYI. I say that's more like an 'eBay' price, rather than a 'forum' price.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
for those who have these types of scratches, are they very noticeable and bug you when you're using your phone?

I have a scratch like that only lower down on my 1st Gen. On the lower black area.
I had no idea I had the scratch until a few days ago I saw it at a different angle.
For all I know I could have had the scratch from day 1 and just never noticed it.

I certainly do not notice it at all and does not detract from my enjoyment of the phone.

Actually had a hard time capturing the scratch when I took this pic. :eek:

Attachments

• Scratch.jpg
    Scratch.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 65

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You seriously can't decide this for yourself?

This forum is really getting Razr-ized.

What's next?

"HEEELLLP!!! What to order from Denny's the day I get my Apple 3G iPhone cellular telephone?????!!!"

Alright. If it truly is a hairline scratch, a decent screen protector with good cling should help fill it in and you shouldn't notice it too much.

And I recommend the steak and waffle combo.

maddan

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I would not spend $350 on a used, scratched, 8GB iPhone. You can get a brand new 3G iPhone for less.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I would not spend $350 on a used, scratched, 8GB iPhone. You can get a brand new 3G iPhone for less.

I would do that but I'd prefer to not user AT&T's plan. At this price for an 8GB 1st gen iPhone, should I go for it or keep my eyes peeled for later?

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
It really depends on you. If you don't usually notice scratches (you know some people would just look through it and wouldn't notice it) then it might be worth it if that is the only (major) scratch.
Also, if you put a screen protector on it, it will probably be less noticeable.

However, you might be able to find one on this forum for less than that :)

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
From that picture you posted, it appears that the scratch isn't the only thing wrong with it.

No way I'd pay that much for it.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
From that picture you posted, it appears that the scratch isn't the only thing wrong with it.

No way I'd pay that much for it.

If you are talking about the side of the phone looking dented open, I think that's just an illusion with the curvature of the phone and the picture talkers shirt. I think. At least, it looked dented open to me. :eek:

WB2Colorado

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I would buy it, It's just a little scratch. My PSP has a smaller scratch that is way more noticeable then that, and I hardly even notice it. I would ask him to un-jailbreak it before he sent it though.

maddan

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I would do that but I'd prefer to not user AT&T's plan. At this price for an 8GB 1st gen iPhone, should I go for it or keep my eyes peeled for later?

Well, there is a safe site if you google "8GB iPhone" that sells the original 8GB for $199. I am pretty sure it is safe, so do that instead.

auggie2k

Cancelled
May 16, 2008

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
My 3G has a very similar scratch. After I got an Invisible Shield (I didn't want another scratch) you cant even see the first one.

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
I wouldn't buy it for that price. But if you can get one for closer to $200 with a scratch that could work. Once you activate it just bring it into the Apple store and tell them it has a problem with the battery or something they can't check on-site. THen they will replace it and you have a refurb for $200.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I wouldn't buy it for that price. But if you can get one for closer to $200 with a scratch that could work. Once you activate it just bring it into the Apple store and tell them it has a problem with the battery or something they can't check on-site. THen they will replace it and you have a refurb for $200.

thats lying:mad:

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
Just go for it. I just bought a 16 gig, 3 month old 1st gen for 225. There is a pretty little scratch on there too. Does it suck hell yea, but I couldn't pass this deal up, when the phone is lit up you can hardly notice the scratch.

I also have a thread going for suggestions on how to get rid of the scratches!
I am reading that Glass fillers or scratch removals for glasses works pretty well.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
If anyone has an iPhone with a scratch on it that they want to sell for a discount because the think they are so special (like paris hilton) that their phone has to look absolutely brand new, then I would be glad to buy it from you for a discounted price. :)

(my original iPhone has several scratches on it and I could care less. my friends don't care either)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.