Should I renew my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JCarmona, Nov 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JCarmona macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch, Late 2013; i7 2.8GhZ; do you consider I should renew for a MacBook Air/Pro?

The screen of my macbook is twinkling a little bit and the price to change the screen was around £500 at Apple.

Thanks!

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I certainly wouldn't downgrade to the 2018 MBA!

3. Paulg2uk macrumors regular

Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm wondering the same, I haven't upgraded since I bought a mid 2012 RMBP when they were released. I need to upgrade to something new after 6 years and was all set on the RMBA but now I've seen the Geekbench scores I'm not so sure. I don't actually need anything too powerful I only use it for web browsing, emails very little photo editing but maybe some audio recording with my guitar though garage band or logic/pro tools. I won't be running lots of different software at the same time.

I'm gonna be placing my order over the weekend so I need to decide what I'm doing. Any suggestions would be great.

4. Kung gu macrumors member

I think you should go for MBA 2018 its more powerful than MacBook and offers better keyboard than 13 ntb MacBook pros and longer battery life. just my 2 cents :)

5. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Honestly, I stopped caring about those scores a long, long time ago. Just get the Mac you feel most comfortable with. Most should do for the tasks you're describing.

6. Paulg2uk, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

Paulg2uk macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice fellas, Obviously it's not gonna be used for very demanding tasks but I'd like to future proof it if I can. At least 5-6 years like my RMBP. I'm pretty sure the air will be able to handle a small amount of audio recording with my guitar into an interface.

7. JCarmona thread starter macrumors member

My concern is always on how these will age, would the MBA 2018 last 5 years performing well with improvements in tech? The main reason I bought the MBP was for this reason and after a few years it is still performing quite well.

Thanks!

8. Paulg2uk macrumors regular

I have the same concerns, which makes me think would I be better off going for the RMBP. I'm starting to think it might and the extra power is always a bonus.