Should I replace broken screen before selling?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevindosi, Sep 26, 2010.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I've got a 2007 macbook that I want to sell on ebay because I upgraded to a pro. The problem, though, is that the screen constantly flickers and sometimes it's impossible to use. I was wondering if it's worth paying the $280 from Apple to fix the screen before I sell it.
    Thanks in advance for any input!

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

How much will you will be selling the laptop for?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt you can get more than 600$ off your MacBook so replacing the screen would mean that you got only ~300$. It will likely sell for more than 300$ even though its screen is not perfect.

5. jamied95 macrumors 6502

In reality, if someone buys it they're either just going to replace the screen or use it for parts...

So take what you could sell it for, $600 is Hellhammers guess, take away $280, then take away a bit more, because the buyer might replace the screen and find it still doesn't work, plus they've gone to the expense and time of getting t repaced, not something most people would want to do (I wouldn't), so you'd have to make it their worthwhile....

Maybe look for someone, not Apple, to replace the screen, I don't know what this would, or whether it's allowed, but it's got to be worth a look?