Should I replace it?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
I have an iPhone 7 (Jet Black, although it's not relevant) and in the bottom left corner I have a white dot, it's a display defect

While it doesn't bother me too much, should I get this replaced? Do y'all think I'd get a refurb? Could this lead to other complications in the future?

I can't post a photo because I only have my iPhone 6s on my person, and I can't go home

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
That's what worries me
I don't want a refurb, however I would like my $850 to be working without defects
I don't think you really have much choice. Refurbished units are absolutely fine. I've had a couple of them over the years and had no issues at all with them.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
I don't think you really have much choice. Refurbished units are absolutely fine. I've had a couple of them over the years and had no issues at all with them.
Yeah I know, I'm rocking a 6s and iPod touch right now both are probably refurbs
And got a 6 Plus that is too

Do you think Verizon (not Asurion) would give me a brand new phone

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Apple Store
October?
Yes, but Asurion is only for accidental damage, this is manufacture defect
In this case I'd say Apple store is your best bet. The refurb you get will be like new. If Apple has got anything right, it's making sure refurbs are as good as new (or better).

Reactions: jetsam

Jimmyss

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
You shouldn't replace it for just a dot. But if the replacement doesn't cost you any money, then why not get a new one?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
apple will replace the display assembly.
Will you put the new one in? Or will a store employee?
[doublepost=1487868098][/doublepost]
Then you should just hang on to it. Still, a photo could be a great help for us to talk about it.
Here's an EXAMPLE image found online, I only have 1 and it's not as crazy, nonetheless it's there
Sample image

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
In this case I'd say Apple store is your best bet. The refurb you get will be like new. If Apple has got anything right, it's making sure refurbs are as good as new (or better).
New is still new though and refurb (regardless of how perfect it is) is still a used product. I think TC wants to swap like with like.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
New is still new though and refurb (regardless of how perfect it is) is still a used product. I think TC wants to swap like with like.
Yes
If I'm paying $850 for a brand new phone, I should get a brand new replacement

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Yes
But your phone is no longer new... it's used.
[doublepost=1487868846][/doublepost]
Will you put the new one in? Or will a store employee?
[doublepost=1487868098][/doublepost]
Here's an EXAMPLE image found online, I only have 1 and it's not as crazy, nonetheless it's there
Sample image
Apple Store will replace it

I had this issue on my 6S. It was fixed with a display swap.

Reactions: Jnesbitt82

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
But your phone is no longer new... it's used.
[doublepost=1487868846][/doublepost]

Apple Store will replace it

I had this issue on my 6S. It was fixed with a display swap.
was a joke with your username

and if this phone was brand new, they would still give the same service to any other phone
Plus, to them and Verizon it's still worth $850, which is the price of a brand new one, the scratches on the back hasn't lowered my monthly bills

Reactions: foxconn

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes
I am afraid you might be in for a disappointment. I am betting they replace the screen. Make sure you got a good backup on your phone and reset your before you give it to them.
[doublepost=1487869123][/doublepost]
Then you should just hang on to it. Still, a photo could be a great help for us to talk about it.
You need to direct this to the OP, not me.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
was a joke with your username

and if this phone was brand new, they would still give the same service to any other phone
Plus, to them and Verizon it's still worth $850, which is the price of a brand new one, the scratches on the back hasn't lowered my monthly bills
"was" this "was" that but it isn't anymore.. your phone is now used so if you get a replacement it will be a refurb unless you're within your return window.

i wouldn't want a replacement anyways, it's a hassle to get my phone set up properly again and there's always a chance something else might be broken.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yes
White box replacements are almost like new. I have had excellent experiences with them. I understand you think your entitled to one by saying "Should", but if you don't have AppleCare or out of warranty, this is the likely your only option.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I suggest you bring it back to the place where you purchased it from -- the Apple Store -- and ask them.

They have several options
A.) they say the unit isn't eligible for replacement
B.) they replace the display unit in your phone
C.) they replace your phone with a refurbished unit
D.) they replace your phone with a brand new retail box unit

You don't get to tell them which one they must choose. Of the four options they have, option D is the least likely to occur.

You are not entitled to a brand new retail box unit.

But, there's only one way to find out what they would do: ask them. Not us.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.